Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:55 am

This one made me laugh from yesterday:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:58 am

Hahahaha flag decision?? the decision to ban a flag that represents racial hatred?

jesus Trump is insane

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:00 am

Also, Nascar ratings are up, lol.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am

He’s grasping at straws. This garbage that used to work just isn’t anymore. It’s just played out at this point

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:22 am

Is he watching fox news weekend afternoons because he is bored? Or doesn't have anything to do? It just seems odd that any person in the united states would decide to watch cable news on a sunday afternoon in the summer.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:25 am

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/atlant ... otest-site

Atlanta mayor getting complex. Focus on the simple things woman.
My respect for her actually went up a little bit after reading this. She raises a great point. When hundreds of black people are murdered by their own every single month, and you have incidents like Atlanta in which multiple tough guy thugs unload on a car with an 8 year old girl inside, the continued memorializing and canonization of George Floyd, a career criminal, makes a lot of rational people scratch their head.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am

Some NSFW language, but holy hell... this is an incredible level of crazy:

Doesn't even have much to do with politics other than her thinking she's a political warrior.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 am

I genuinely don’t understand anti-mask people. That’s a level of idiocy that I can’t fathom

how in the **** is being asked to wear a mask an infringement on your rights? In what meaningful way does that affect your life?

the only thing I can think of is you being poor and don’t have money for a mask or something but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say that before

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am

I know the venn diagram between anti-mask and anti-vax don't overlap a ton as far as people/demographics in common, but they have the same backbones:

- They claim to have proof it's bad due to either pseudoscience or science that has since been disproved, but they stick with the original.
- They find the tiny little minority of scientists and experts that agree with them, and because they have Dr. or ,Ph.D. in their name plate, that gives them credibility.
- They're all about rights without any regard for responsibility.
- They're both selfish as sh*t... it's an inconvenience to them so they do everything they can to prove what they're doing is correct.

It's the miracle and curse of having all the world's information at your fingertips. When you rely on yourself to find the correct information, you only find information that is in your favor.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 am

- They're all about rights without any regard for responsibility.
Bingo. Like toddlers.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:23 am

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-p ... ay-weekend

Chicago and NYC had violent weekends again. One of the victims was a little girl playing on the sidewalk. My heart aches for those children and their parents. My kids are that age and I just can't imagine.

The pastor quoted in this article also says the community needs to do better in curbing this. Said in 2012 in his community, his block was the "most dangerous" in Chicago. After a long fight by the community, they were able to erraditcate a lot of the violence.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/atlant ... otest-site

Atlanta mayor getting complex. Focus on the simple things woman.
My respect for her actually went up a little bit after reading this. She raises a great point. When hundreds of black people are murdered by their own every single month, and you have incidents like Atlanta in which multiple tough guy thugs unload on a car with an 8 year old girl inside, the continued memorializing and canonization of George Floyd, a career criminal, makes a lot of rational people scratch their head.
A lot of other points you have brought up in the past are brought up in here regarding BLM, the organization. Also that cops are 18.5 more times likely to be shot by a black man than vice versa, and far more officers of minority background shoot unarmed black men than white officers.

But you wouldn't think that based on twitter and national media. It's something that needs to also be part of the equation to fixing these issues in America. And it won't be easy.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:39 am

Has anything of consequence really changed because of them though? Cancel culture isn't a good thing at the end of the day imo but I also don't think they have as much power as some make it seem. I don't think Twitter changing phrases and Nike pulling Redskins merch and Aunt Jemima going away really effect too many people at the end of the day
Each of those things looking at it individually are probably inconsequential, but when it starts adding up, you start to question where the line is, and it starts to cause a divide between those "sides" and steals the focus away from the important things.
Personally, this is what makes me somewhat uncomfortable...the idea that we don't know where it 'stops'. I do agree in theory with what others have said in here...that these things tend to swing wide before regressing to a mean, but there doesn't seem to be any appetite for a regression among the perpetrating people or groups.

To me, Cancel Culture and Wokeness are two euphemistics terms for things that have a pretty ugly history, if you really think about it.

Wokeness is basically 'I know and understand more than you, and I'm superior to you. My thoughts, ideas, and actions are all of an enlightened perspective while yours are all tinged with ignorance and prejudices. If you don't agree, you're part of the problem.'

Which brings us to Cancel Culture. 'Identify those who are part of the problem and cancel them. Eliminate them from the discussion. Eliminate their voice, either currently or historically. Try to ostracized them from society.' This is where it gets hairy for me. Replace 'Cancel Culture' with 'Societal Cleansing' and it becomes a bit more worrisome...at least for me.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 am

Every time you hear “the Left” say Conservatives suck because nothing happened after watching Sandy Hook, remember the lack of effort focused on this violence too as innocent kids get killed on their sidewalks and beds.

We talk about ancillary things that’ll help the culture in the next ten years, but that’s a lot of kids needlessly killed in the meantime.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/le ... ar-old-son

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 am

Crazy.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am

https://www.foxnews.com/us/frederick-do ... vandalized

And now you have this going on. People removing a statue of Frederick Douglass in retaliation.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:52 am

Probably a good take by harvard to say f it, lets just go online and not act like the next two months are going to be any different than March through June.

Bad take by not changing tuition.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:57 am

Crazy.

that's criminal

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 pm

More coming...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Semester off is the move.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 pm

Penn state is going more and more classes online. My guess is they’ll be “in person” for 3-4 weeks then send everyone home.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:21 pm

I'm of the opinion that in-person schooling is much more important at the K-12 levels than the college level. The majority of courses should translate easily to a virtual environment and the students should have enough self-discipline to take it seriously. Especially considering they're still paying full tuition. Obviously labs and similar courses are next to impossible virtually so no clue how that will be resolved.

That said, K-12 may need to go virtual again as well if our cases continue to increase. I know PPS keeps delaying their decision. Now it won't be made until about a week prior to classes starting.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:22 pm

Every time you hear “the Left” say Conservatives suck because nothing happened after watching Sandy Hook, remember the lack of effort focused on this violence too as innocent kids get killed on their sidewalks and beds.

We talk about ancillary things that’ll help the culture in the next ten years, but that’s a lot of kids needlessly killed in the meantime.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/le ... ar-old-son
Yeah, I mean I get that there are "systemic" issues that need addressing, but it is literally a bloodbath in cities across the country every single weekend. Children are routinely being murdered in Chicago. The movement would have a lot more credibility to me if they actually addressed the hundreds of lives that are stolen from their community on a monthly basis. It's insane.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Semester off is the move.
Yea if you can do it, gap semester or year is the move

Problem is what the hell do you do though? It’s not really like you can travel much or get a job somewhere

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Say goodbye to college sports until the winter then