Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:58 pm

The Washington Redskins are doing a "thorough review" of their nickname, whatever tf that means.

"Is it racist?"

"Yes"

What else is there to review?
:pop:

Yup. The corporate lip service is exhausting.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Trump to accuse 'left-wing mob' of 'totalitarian behavior' in Mount Rushmore remarks
Hmm, let’s see, should I try and do my job better to get re-elected, or just rail on leftists about confederate monuments. Starting to think trump is not on the level
TIL Mount Rushmore, Junipero Serra, Ulysses Grant, etc... are Confederate monuments.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:27 pm

The Washington Redskins are doing a "thorough review" of their nickname, whatever tf that means.

"Is it racist?"

"Yes"

Businesses make decisions to help their bottom line. News at 11.
Last edited by faftorial on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm

"Is it racist?"

"Yes"

Businesses make decisions to will help their bottom line. News at 11.
So basically "slavery is okay as long as it's not white southerners doing it" is a plausible argument for a business to make?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:29 pm

They don't need to make an argument

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Not sure anyone said it's ok. One can want both the football team to change their name and the company to stop using slave labor.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Not sure anyone said it's ok. One can want both the football team to change their name and the company to stop using slave labor.
Sure. But do you really think people are going to protest and try and do something to help the plight of the sterilized, organ harvested Uighurs in China?

It does go back to one of my biggest pet peeves with the SJW movement, and that is how annoyingly selective they are with their outrage. Most left-wingers and SJW types will trip over themselves talking about how wonderful Islam is, and how lovely Muslims are, etc. etc. Yet they will not hesitate to excoriate Christians as being close-minded, homophobic, etc. It's utterly stupid, yet you see it all the time. Why they will literally fall on their sword praising Muslims, who are by far the largest group of anti-LGBT, backward thinking, regressive people on the planet is beyond me.

You have liberals that are out there screaming that we should let in more Islamic refugees from the Middle East, Africa, etc. It makes absolutely no sense. If Islam is largely not compatible with much of Western thought, it is at complete odds with the far-left movement.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:42 pm

:thumb:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:46 pm

This took an unexpected turn...

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Sure. But do you really think people are going to protest and try and do something to help the plight of the sterilized, organ harvested Uighurs in China?

It does go back to one of my biggest pet peeves with the SJW movement, and that is how annoyingly selective they are with their outrage. Most left-wingers and SJW types will trip over themselves talking about how wonderful Islam is, and how lovely Muslims are, etc. etc.
Aren't Uyghurs predominantly Muslim?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Why does that matter though? Does the lack of "protests" against China's treatment of those people make the football team's name any less offensive? Which is easier to fix right now?

I agree that a lot of SJW do it for Instagram likes or what have you. I see that all the time. It's painful to watch.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm

If you want to talk Uyghurs bring them up. Why bring Nike in the discussion?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Oh yeah, it's the hypocrite game.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Why does that matter though? Does the lack of "protests" against China's treatment of those people make the football team's name any less offensive? Which is easier to fix right now?

I agree that a lot of SJW do it for Instagram likes or what have you. I see that all the time. It's painful to watch.
It's the lack of seriousness.

Nike/FedEx will flagellate themselves over an easy, no cost "stand" on the name of a football team, but when we're talking about actual, real life human beings they balk at any real action that will actually hurt.

It would be like Woolworths in 1943 standing tall against people skirting food restrictions, while supplying Hitler with all the stuff he needs and making money off Jews making cheap trinkets at Buchenwald.

Why should I listen to Steve Kerr or FedEx or whoever talk tough about Trump or Dan Snyder when they have no issue making $$$$ off Uighurs and Chinese genocide?

It makes their thoughts less than worthless.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:07 pm

so can we listen to anyone given your above requirements? Not being argumentative, I'm curious if anyone even fits that bill, because I don't see it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:20 pm

So if we now "just have to live with it," does that mean the wartime president surrendered?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 pm

So is this still about George Floyd?

How is this not intimidation?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 pm

so can we listen to anyone given your above requirements? Not being argumentative, I'm curious if anyone even fits that bill, because I don't see it.
I don't think it is too much to ask that if you are going to be outspoken on an issue in America, which is trivial, that you be outspoken on an issue that is of actual consequence.

Again. If you want to be taken seriously when you make a stand be willing to do it for real.

Otherwise why should I, or anyone else, take you seriously.

Why should anyone listen to the American Family Council on gay marriage while their leader is hanging out with gay prostitutes?

You shouldn't. Because it's obvious the talk doesn't mean anything.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Why do we need to hear about companies' international politics thoughts when they're talking domestic?

It's two completely different spheres/lenses, and arguably companies have more leverage and pull when it comes to domestic issues. China doesn't give two shits if Steve Kerr or Nike says something bad about them. They're not going to change a thing.

Or rather, if you say it doesnt mean anything, then why waste time complaining about it? If the talk means nothing then what's the point of any of this?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:08 pm

Why do we need to hear about companies' international politics thoughts when they're talking domestic?

It's two completely different spheres/lenses.
Because Nike, specifically, has defended the Chinese government. It is an international company that benefits from the equivocation.

I mean we're talking about a football team name vs. a company making money off looking the other way and keeping silent about genocide.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:10 pm

Or rather, if you say it doesnt mean anything, then why waste time complaining about it? If the talk means nothing then what's the point of any of this?
This is a garbage take that always flows one way in this thread.

We're talking about it because it's in the news.

Why should I or anyone else be silent about it?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:10 pm

What changed in four years?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 pm

More on the absolute stupidity of our times.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Trump to accuse 'left-wing mob' of 'totalitarian behavior' in Mount Rushmore remarks
Hmm, let’s see, should I try and do my job better to get re-elected, or just rail on leftists about confederate monuments. Starting to think trump is not on the level
So yeah uh, Russia, they paid money to our enemies to kill our troops right? I’m pretty sure that happened. I guess golfing is more important.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/03/politics ... index.html
Kimberly Guilfoyle -- the girlfriend of Donald Trump Jr. and a top fundraiser for the Trump campaign -- has tested positive for coronavirus, according to a top official for the committee she leads.