Politics And Current Events

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Let's say you own a bar in Tarentum. You aren't allowed to serve beers. But the bar across the river in new ken can serve beers.

Or you own a beerless bar on route 22 in monroeville and someone can pound beers at north park lounge in murrysville until the cows come home.

Or you own a bar on Route 19 in Wexford, where you are a short drive from a beer mecca in cranberry.

etc. etc. etc.

Would you be pissed? Would you exercise your right to protest?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:05 pm

This continues to be a huge issue, something unlike Covid, which I deal with almost daily.

Maybe they should do something about this:
President Trump and conservatives have repeatedly cited the possible rise of overdoses and suicides when calling for states and businesses to hurry their economic reopening. Yet, of the nearly $2.5 trillion approved for emergency relief, Congress and the Trump administration have designated only $425 million — barely more than a hundredth of 1 percent — for mental health and substance use treatment.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:08 pm

You are right, only the Federal government has the authority to do anything.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Or you own a beerless bar on route 22 in monroeville and someone can pound beers at north park lounge in murrysville until the cows come home.
It's only a half mile from my place...that's not a bad idea, but I'd prefer to go to Bob's, its cheaper

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Source of the post Would you be pissed? Would you exercise your right to protest?
Yes to both. If a bar is open in a neighboring county, the allegheny order doesn't do much.

I'd like to see bars nationwide close, as it's becoming clear that bars/clubs cannot re-open safely. In doing that, there needs to be some sort of safety net for these owners so they are able to stay afloat.
Last edited by nocera on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm

No, I read it. I know it talked about the history of the construction of those freeways, how it destroyed black neighborhoods, segregated the city, etc.

Honestly though, anything done over like 50 years ago will have some trace of racial inequality attached to it if you dig hard enough.
That's the thing, though. It's still going on today, and to find disparities you don't have dig all that hard. Or at all, really.

The LA Metro subway system was begun in the late 80s, and the construction of the Hollywood extension was part of the finale of the movie Speed (as was the construction of the 105 freeway). A large percentage of the riders on Metro are hourly service industry workers who live in the barrios and poorer neighborhoods around DTLA but work on the Westside, and use a combination of rail and buses to get to their jobs. I moved here in 1997, and the subway is only now being extended beyond mid-city...... because the main east-west line runs under Wilshire Blvd, which would take it through Beverly Hills; the residents there for 25 years refused to allow expansion into 90210, and wouldn't allow the line even if there were no stops in their neighborhood.

There was no real support for blockage of the earliest phases of the Metro rail system, which connected DTLA and Long Beach..... which goes through Watts and Compton.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm

I don't blame workers and owners of bars for being pissed. It's their livelihood and the government has pretty much shut them down and not provided substantial assistance to help them keep things afloat until they open back up.
I agree. I think they should be protesting the lack of government assistance as opposed to being forced to shut down for public safety.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:26 pm

3/5 don't even know how to properly wear a mask yet think opening their bars is the safe and smart thing to do...

🤔
Looks like most of the protests I have seen.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 pm

This hasn't aged well:

Only 30k deaths to go.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:31 pm

Source of the post Would you be pissed? Would you exercise your right to protest?
Yes to both. If a bar is open in a neighboring county, the allegheny order doesn't do much.

I'd like to see bars nationwide close, as it's becoming clear that bars/clubs cannot re-open safely. In doing that, there needs to be some sort of safety net for these owners so they are able to stay afloat.
It isn’t possible to process enough to help. So you are effectively destroying thousands of people’s livelihoods.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:33 pm

It isn’t possible to process enough to help. So you are effectively destroying thousands of people’s livelihoods.
Are you saying we don't have the money or we don't have the ability?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:00 pm

if bars should be open, why would we keep movie theaters closed?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Just open everything and if you die you die

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Lol we're never getting out of this

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:23 pm

You know what might help? If our president acted like wearing masks is okay

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm

Do you think these people are pro choice?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm

I heard on NPR this morning that he did recommend everyone follow the rules and wear masks, socially distance, get tested, wash your hands, etc...

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:25 pm

On one side we have people who act like we can't do anything unless there are no cases and then you have people who don't want to do the bare minimum

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:26 pm

I heard on NPR this morning that he did recommend everyone follow the rules and wear masks, socially distance, get tested, wash your hands, etc...
He needs to be seen in a mask then. Lead by example.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Are you saying we don't have the money or we don't have the ability?
Ability

offsides

Postby offsides » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Bars here in Washington County are open and seem busy. Hope we don't get too big of a spike.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm

On one side we have people who act like we can't do anything unless there are no cases and then you have people who don't want to do the bare minimum
I guess what is the end game. Because originally back in march, it was to not overwhelm the hospital system. I think that was accomplished.

If it's until we get a vaccine, what if we can't get an effective one?

If it's to have it be 0, I don't know if that will happen as well.

I guess time will tell.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:46 pm

Who is saying the only acceptable outcome is zero cases?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Who is saying the only acceptable outcome is zero cases?
No one, I'm just asking. Because the original "endgame" if you will was accomplished. Just wondering outloud what the updated end game is.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:51 pm

if bars should be open, why would we keep movie theaters closed?
If they blocked off sections to properly social distance, I think they should open movie theaters.