Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Vigilantes?

How are people on their own property, with no shoes on, "vigilantes"?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm

A chess youtuber had a video taken down... his suspicion was the algorithm of youtube either caught him saying something like "white is always better in this situation" or he was talking about COVID-19 and how people were spending far more time indoors these days (not sure why that would be an issue).

In any case, youtube fixed the issue, but I found it odd that a chess video got taken down. :lol:
300 hours of content are uploaded to YouTube every minute of every day. There is absolutely no way a non-automated mechanism can police that. It's a PITA for the creators, but there are going to be goofy errors in the way the algorithms track this stuff. When I was at a AAA game publisher, we'd upload game capture footage of our own games, and Content ID would flag it and kill the video; we'd then get notified that our upload contained IP owned by Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. (no s**t), and then a day later the same person who got the notice that the upload was nuked would get a notice telling us YouTube nuked a video on our behalf. It's messy.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Their biggest mistake was going outside with the guns and showing their hand.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm

Typically it's best not to escalate situations. That's just life in general.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Mitch says wear a mask.

Good. I still think we need Trump to address the nation while wearing a mask and talk about how important mask wearing is for all of us. Until he addresses masks directly and is routinely seen in public with a mask, the muh freedom crowd won't listen. If it's just Mitch, you bet your ass they'll turn on him and start calling him Moscow Mitch too.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Their biggest mistake was going outside with the guns and showing their hand.
Or looking like two nerds holding their new Super Soakers

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Seattle has gone full ouroboros on the CHOP thing. Kshama Sawant marching with protesters to the mayor's house, what a two-faced shithead.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:58 pm

Some of the Ken and Karen memes from the St Louis thing are pretty solid.

U.S. Gravy SEALs
Margaritaville Militia
When Tarantino makes a movie for Hallmark
This woman holds a gun like it’s a used enema bag she’s trying to return at CVS for a full refund
This is how you dress to take a Denny’s hostage

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 pm

Vigilantes?

How are people on their own property, with no shoes on, "vigilantes"?
Call the cops. That's what they are there for...right?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm

They have insurance. Smash away..

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:13 pm

The term 'vigilante' confers far too much credit on those nitwits. They're irresponsible NTPwaffles who presented a greater threat to the protesters than the protesters presented to them. Muzzle and trigger discipline of Parkinson's-addle baboons, and may meet the legal definition of assault.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:23 pm

This isn't hockey where the retaliation slash is the one that gets the penalty. You can't tear down a private gate and march yourselves by the hundreds onto other people's property. They were the threat.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:25 pm

That's not how it works.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 pm

But then again we've just spent 3 weeks watching video after video of mobs surrounding vehicles and jumping on them then the person who floors it to save their lives are called the aggressors. So maybe I don't know what im talking about.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 pm

I gotta say, if I'm looking at a bunch of people armed with protest signs walking on a street and two people armed with guns standing at their house and pointing the guns at the unarmed people, it's not too difficult to see who the threat is.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 pm

"Maybe" is doing a bit too much heavy lifting there.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Once that gate is smashed down there is zero reason for anyone in that community to expect anything peaceful or be able to tell whats about to happen next. They. Don't. Know. I realize we're not allowed to hold certain people accountable for any of their actions, but Jesus Christ.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Once that gate is smashed down there is zero reason for anyone in that community to expect anything peaceful or be able to tell whats about to happen next. They. Don't. Know. I realize we're not allowed to hold certain people accountable for any of their actions, but Jesus Christ.
We're taking the side of people aiming guns at unarmed folks who are not on their property.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:31 pm

"Maybe" is doing a bit too much heavy lifting there.

Message board cosplay lawyer Tif vs. actual lawyer. Gee I wonder which one knows what his rights were in that situation?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 pm

I get being freaked out, getting your gun and even standing in front of your property with your gun visible

but AIMING your gun with the trigger discipline of a 6 year old with a Super Soaker and probably not knowing where the safety is is kind of **** up

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Okay. Yes. Don't point the guns. This also all could have been avoided if you don't be part of a mob that breaks into locked places. At some **** point you have to hold people accountable for their actions regardless of their cause.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

I get being freaked out, getting your gun and even standing in front of your property with your gun visible

but AIMING your gun with the trigger discipline of a 6 year old with a Super Soaker and probably not knowing where the safety is is kind of **** up
Yup.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

We're taking the side of people aiming guns at unarmed folks who are not on their property.
I mean, we have spent years arguing about when police brutality is justified.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm

Yeah if a large group of people have physically torn down my security device for keeping people off of my property, in that moment, that's a threatening act. Now, it came to fruition that the property owners upped the ante - to an unnecessary level perhaps...but, man, to pretend like it's implausible that further harm would befall them is going to quite a contortist act...