Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 am

Black Lives Matter... the slogan and the organization are not really the same thing, assuming all you’re saying about the organization is true.
My point is, the individual BLM chapters most certainly take their marching orders from the top.

You are not going to find a CNN expose discussing the influences on BLM since they've pretty much been given a lifetime free pass, but this is a great window into how big of an influence Shakur (and other cop killers/black Nationalists) have on the way BLM conducts itself and the "policies" they advocate. They idolize them.

https://www.leftvoice.org/assata-shakur-always-welcome
These words by the Black feminist revolutionary Assata Shakur have been chorused by countless crowds in the years since the Black Lives Matter movement has emerged. Nicknamed “Assata’s chant,” the phrases act as a street-speech talisman against police fear and liberal misdirection; they fuse Black and Third World feminist calls for radical care with the call for class warfare that concludes Marx and Engels’ Communist Manifesto. “Assata Taught Me” shirts and murals claim her as a godmother to the movement, and “Assata Shakur is Welcome Here” posters have begun to reappear from the time she was underground and in flight in the 1970s. However, as with any militant who can be selectively quoted and valued once they are converted into a larger-than-life icon, we risk her lessons becoming Twitterized and commodified.
From another source... Obv this is a conservative site but like I said, you are not going to find any challenging of BLM in the media in today's climate. It's from 2015-16.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... g-n2046941
BlackLivesMatter—the activist group that demands a “racial justice agenda” that includes constant criticism and activism against police—invokes the words of convicted cop killer Assata Shakur at “all its events.”

At a recent event for female bloggers, BlackLivesMatter leaders had a crowd of thousands repeating lines from a letter written by Shakur that include an explicit reference to the Communist Manifesto.
In December the man who killed two NYPD officers while they were eating lunch in their patrol car posted on his Instagram page, "Going to put pigs in a blanket" before carrying out his killings. In Ferguson when news of the NYPD slayings hit, BLM protestors chanted and celebrated, "Pigs in a blanket!" We saw the same over the weekend in Minneapolis. This isn't happening in one place, it's happening around the country. BLM activists are using their own words and inspiration from convicted cop killers to promote the assassination of police officers.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:47 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:49 am

Jake tapper just had Colin Powell come on to endorse Biden. He is the biggest horse’s ass of them all. Like the only way for these absolute mouth breathers to validate objective reality is to have some republican come on and talk about trump being bad at his job.

It’s the same mentality that prompted the nytimes to ask Tom cotton to write an op ed about sending the military in against protests. There is no truth, there’s just “both sides” of the debate.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:57 am

Black Lives Matter... the slogan and the organization are not really the same thing, assuming all you’re saying about the organization is true.
My point is, the individual BLM chapters most certainly take their marching orders from the top.

You are not going to find a CNN expose discussing the influences on BLM since they've pretty much been given a lifetime free pass, but this is a great window into how big of an influence Shakur (and other cop killers/black Nationalists) have on the way BLM conducts itself and the "policies" they advocate. They idolize them.

These words by the Black feminist revolutionary Assata Shakur have been chorused by countless crowds in the years since the Black Lives Matter movement has emerged. Nicknamed “Assata’s chant,” the phrases act as a street-speech talisman against police fear and liberal misdirection; they fuse Black and Third World feminist calls for radical care with the call for class warfare that concludes Marx and Engels’ Communist Manifesto. “Assata Taught Me” shirts and murals claim her as a godmother to the movement, and “Assata Shakur is Welcome Here” posters have begun to reappear from the time she was underground and in flight in the 1970s. However, as with any militant who can be selectively quoted and valued once they are converted into a larger-than-life icon, we risk her lessons becoming Twitterized and commodified.
From another source... Obv this is a conservative site but like I said, you are not going to find any challenging of BLM in the media in today's climate. It's from 2015-16.

BlackLivesMatter—the activist group that demands a “racial justice agenda” that includes constant criticism and activism against police—invokes the words of convicted cop killer Assata Shakur at “all its events.”

At a recent event for female bloggers, BlackLivesMatter leaders had a crowd of thousands repeating lines from a letter written by Shakur that include an explicit reference to the Communist Manifesto.
In December the man who killed two NYPD officers while they were eating lunch in their patrol car posted on his Instagram page, "Going to put pigs in a blanket" before carrying out his killings. In Ferguson when news of the NYPD slayings hit, BLM protestors chanted and celebrated, "Pigs in a blanket!" We saw the same over the weekend in Minneapolis. This isn't happening in one place, it's happening around the country. BLM activists are using their own words and inspiration from convicted cop killers to promote the assassination of police officers.

It's really something to watch play out.

If Shad's assertions have merit.......

Create an organization with a real message but some radical overtones (or undertones). Name and ' sloganize' the organization something above reproach. Everyone agrees the black lives matter...no one would say black lives don't matter...but you can't say all lives matter. Fervently push the slogan to the forefront while the organization pushes the more radical agenda behind the scenes. If the more radical elements are exposed or challenged, counter with the slogan and label the opposition racist (in this example). Once the opposition is silenced, move to a more aggressive radical agenda that is now much more difficult to oppose...even things that sound kinda ridiculous like all caucasians are inherently racist and/or the police should be disbanded. This also introduces a narrative that all bad things that happen to black lives happen because of someone else, so any and all change is the responsibility of, and must be initiated and implemented by, someone other than the affected community.

It's...kinda brilliant... especially with a complicit media. I'm sure that there are other organizations that have used this type of playbook before, but man is this something to behold. Fear and guilt. Humans have a hard time dealing with either/both even if they aren't warranted.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:28 am

I would say thankfully, the “defund the police” people are probably a pretty small sliver

I can’t imagine any rational human being would support it

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:50 am

It's really something to watch play out.

If Shad's assertions have merit.......

Create an organization with a real message but some radical overtones (or undertones). Name and ' sloganize' the organization something above reproach. Everyone agrees the black lives matter...no one would say black lives don't matter...but you can't say all lives matter. Fervently push the slogan to the forefront while the organization pushes the more radical agenda behind the scenes. If the more radical elements are exposed or challenged, counter with the slogan and label the opposition racist (in this example). Once the opposition is silenced, move to a more aggressive radical agenda that is now much more difficult to oppose...even things that sound kinda ridiculous like all caucasians are inherently racist and/or the police should be disbanded. This also introduces a narrative that all bad things that happen to black lives happen because of someone else, so any and all change is the responsibility of, and must be initiated and implemented by, someone other than the affected community.

It's...kinda brilliant... especially with a complicit media. I'm sure that there are other organizations that have used this type of playbook before, but man is this something to behold. Fear and guilt. Humans have a hard time dealing with either/both even if they aren't warranted.
But I don’t believe that’s actually true. It started as a hashtag after Trayvon Martin. It then became officially organized by three women. It’s not about all whites are bad. It’s about all blacks should be free to live equally in this society. Now, certainly others have taken more extreme positions and slapped #BLM on their views, but it paints with an extremely broad brush to just see or hear BLM and dismiss it.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Maybe we need an XTREME political thread. where all blacks are panthers and terrorists, and every cop is a corrupt, murdering, KKK member. Obama and Trump, who's really the antichrist? McConnell and Pelosi, who's really in charge of the reptile invasion? All this and more, right after an argument about whether the pope was hitting the switch with Epstein on AF1.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 pm

Will there be cage matches?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 pm

I think that's what canaan came back for

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:45 pm

Will there be cage matches?
There will be now.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Good read. The hypocrisy on the part of governors, mayors, and public health officials regarding COVID-19 restrictions is really being exposed. They've made a mockery of public health.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/06/ ... -loophole/
The governors of New York and Pennsylvania have both encouraged the protests, saying that they don’t want to interfere with First Amendment rights. But the social-distancing rules they have both also heartily endorsed already interfere with the First Amendment; even in a giant cathedral it is illegal to gather more than ten people for a church service. How can any decent government give an endorsement to crowded protests featuring long periods of shoulder-to-shoulder chanting but still enforce rules excluding household members and close family from a funeral?
Pennsylvania’s health secretary, Dr. Rachel Levine, explained that the government guidelines for parties or concerts remained in place, but since “there are obviously significant social issues that are present, people feel they need to have a voice,” protests could continue.
The message is clear: Public-health experts and elected officials either don’t take their own dire warnings about the virus seriously, or they don’t take our rights seriously. Their fatuous little retorts to criticism have been that protests — at least the ones they like — are an urgent exception; anyone else who wants to break lockdown rules is demeaned as a selfish prig who “just wants a haircut.”

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Covid plans have been broken-arrow the entire time. Although it isn't surprising where you think the buck stops.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Covid plans have been broken-arrow the entire time. Although it isn't surprising where you think the buck stops.
I think it's readily apparent at this point (at least I hope) that there is data out there showing transmission is not nearly as rampant as initially claimed. If there is, they need to open things up. If there isn't, then that raises a lot of other questions.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:34 pm

I think it's readily apparent at this point (at least I hope) that there is data out there showing transmission is not nearly as rampant as initially claimed. If there is, they need to open things up. If there isn't, then that raises a lot of other questions.
More and more data is coming out that people might have immunity or some form of it already, and that it isn't as deadly as anyone thought. I have seen IFRs anywhere from .15 to .6 as the true IFR of Covid. Which would put it somewhere from 1.5 times more deadly to 6 times more deadly than the flu. It might actually be less deadly for younger people than the flu, but extremely more deadly for people above 50 to 55.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Truly though, the protests might actually help stop a second wave from occurring, or being too severe. The CFR for people of the age groups that are protesting is I believe is less than .1%. Again, if an additional 200k people get confirmed infected from covid from these protests it would still mean 200 deaths from this age group, so not downplaying that it isn't tragic that people would still die.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Pandering is hard.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:45 pm

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:51 pm

The truth is that globalisation, the central political dream of Clinton and Blair, Obama and Cameron, was never real. It was a process by which advanced Western economies unilaterally surrendered their manufacturing capacity to a rival, growing power, China, which instead of reciprocating according to the Panglossian calculations of the neoliberal theorists, practiced a traditional and ruthless mercantilism in pursuit of its own interests.
Man... That's a good paragraph.
why am i not surprised, shad, that the passage you paste-quote contains the names of two prominent american liberals when in fact the piece as a whole is a condemnation of the entirety of american foreign and economic policy post wwII.

the following is quite damning and in my opinion accurate though i couldn't give a worthy speech to adequately explain why other than mumble something about it being my opinion based on what i've read and heard.

"In his Tablet essay, Lind glumly muses about a near-future United States withering into a “deindustrialized, English-speaking version of a Latin American republic, specializing in commodities, real estate, tourism, and perhaps transnational tax evasion, with decayed factories scattered across the continent and a nepotistic rentier oligarchy clustered in a few big coastal cities"."

i would've liked roussinos to say directly what the piece as a whole seems to imply; that income inequality is perhaps the biggest malignancy of these failed policies - or perhaps it did precisely say that and i'll catch it on the re-read.

allow me to finish this screed a la @mikey
so, i was rubbing one off haha...and the plates were indigenous to the dishwater in the way that plates are...and 1+1 equal 3 but whatever...for now i'll just say that i don't care for that player...though ha ha... that could change tomorrow or yesterday...but hey, do your thing then do it again...and do it some more or don't do it at all...ha ah...because in the end we're all gonna die(or so they say) or don't say, i dunno...haha. but i'm drunk so i probably won't remember this tomorrow when i get back from where i didn't go...but what i do want to say is that income inequality...and i've said this before about income inequality (ha ha) is at the root of a majority of the problems in this country (or any country for that matter)...but that's just my opinion...which is as we know (or should know ...at least on saturday and monday) ... is the lowest form of knowledge...but whatevs...you do you haha.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Predator(unarmed) drone spotted in Minneapolis. Feel like I’m not ok with it.
It is much rarer, however, for Predator drones to make appearances above American cities. But one was spotting over Minneapolis this week, during the protests and civil unrest following the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers.

Predator drones, officially called the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator, are often used by the Air Force and CIA, and have been deployed in various U.S. wars, including Iraq and Afghanistan. They're mostly used for aerial reconnaissance but have also sometimes been equipped with missiles.

According to GovTech.com, one such drone was spotted in Minneapolis during the protests. It's known that the drone belongs to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), but it's not known who requested it. Journalist Jason Paladino, on Twitter, appears to be the first to notice the drone, on May 29; he also determined that the drone had taken off from Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota.

A CPB spokesperson told multiple media outlets who asked about the drone that "earlier [on May 29] a US Customs and Border Protection, Air and Marine Operations unmanned aircraft system was preparing to provide live video to aid in situational awareness at the request of our federal law enforcement partners in Minneapolis… "The unmanned aircraft system provides live video feed to ground law enforcement, giving them situational awareness, maximizing public safety, while minimizing the threat to personnel and assets.”

It was later determined that the drone wasn't needed for that purpose, and it returned to North Dakota.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:14 pm

I read that something like 70% of people never transmit. I'm all for states deciding what they want to do with it, but the Fed needs to be helping those that need longer lockdowns, not stealing supplies that were paid for out of the state budget and giving it to Trump's butt buddies.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:21 pm

It is much rarer, however, for Predator drones to make appearances above American cities. But one was spotting over Minneapolis this week, during the protests and civil unrest following the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers.

Predator drones, officially called the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator, are often used by the Air Force and CIA, and have been deployed in various U.S. wars, including Iraq and Afghanistan. They're mostly used for aerial reconnaissance but have also sometimes been equipped with missiles.

According to GovTech.com, one such drone was spotted in Minneapolis during the protests. It's known that the drone belongs to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), but it's not known who requested it. Journalist Jason Paladino, on Twitter, appears to be the first to notice the drone, on May 29; he also determined that the drone had taken off from Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota.

A CPB spokesperson told multiple media outlets who asked about the drone that "earlier [on May 29] a US Customs and Border Protection, Air and Marine Operations unmanned aircraft system was preparing to provide live video to aid in situational awareness at the request of our federal law enforcement partners in Minneapolis… "The unmanned aircraft system provides live video feed to ground law enforcement, giving them situational awareness, maximizing public safety, while minimizing the threat to personnel and assets.”

It was later determined that the drone wasn't needed for that purpose, and it returned to North Dakota.
There's more up there than you'd like to believe.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:22 pm

There's more up there than you'd like to believe.
Oh I believe it. I just don’t like it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Pandering is hard.

lol oh my god they’re going to **** up this election aren’t they?

how have they not learned their lesson from the 2016 election?

2020 should be a layup yet it seems like they’re trying hard to not make it so

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:42 pm

Pandering is hard.

Interesting they went with Luigi rather than Mario.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Not that the Tweet isn’t insulting but Biden met with Native Tribes in March.