Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 pm

:lol:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 pm

I had not seen that, so thanks for sharing it.

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 pm

Let's get rid of police "unions".
:thumb:

I feel the same way about teachers unions though. They both protect way too many shitty members.
You give teachers the police budget and maybe the hillbilly hucksters would be educated enough to realize they are working 1910s steel mill general store wages while licking boots concurrently.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Source of the post I don't seem to recall the wanton property destruction, arson, looting, murder, assault, etc. when all the heavily armed rednecks stood around state capitols for a day or so and eventually just went home.

You also didn't see the police respond to their protests with riot shields, even though the protestors were armed.

In fact, most of the police just stood there and let the protestors yell in their faces and wave their guns around.

Counterpoint:

You didn't see cops arresting those people yelling at them and getting in their face.
They most certainly did respond with riot gear. I posted that ITT.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:15 pm

I feel the same way about teachers unions though. They both protect way too many shitty members.
You give teachers the police budget and maybe the hillbilly hucksters would be educated enough to realize they are working 1910s steel mill general store wages while licking boots concurrently.
We spend far more on education than police, but okay.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:15 pm

It’s videos like that that make me think we’re an infinite amount of time away from racial harmony

I would bet mikey’s life savings that every person along the fence has said the n word in the last 24 hours

RE: MR25’s Twitter post

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 pm

One of the greatest examples of cognitive dissonance for people on the right/conservative spectrum is their view of the police and military. People on the right often say they don't trust the government. Many (rightly, IMO) say that the Second Amendment exists in order to guard against government tyranny. But when it comes to the police and military, many on the right have a fawning deference that borders on outright bootlicking. Don't like the government? Don't trust the government? The cops and military are part of the government.
Yeah, I assume I have never been more fully aligned with liberals on an issue of any material...

Part of this is why I don't always understand the full-sale team/brand loyalty thing because the ideals and philosophy don't line up in your own verticals. And it took me a while to realize that myself, but like finding Waldo, it's like, "duh, he was right there..."

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:19 pm

It’s videos like that that make me think we’re an infinite amount of time away from racial harmony

I would bet mikey’s life savings that every person along the fence has said the n word in the last 24 hours

You can't even compute a number that big...it has almost five digits...not to brag or nothin'

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:21 pm

Was that taken up in Pittsburgh? Because that is the only place I've ever heard that word used regularly.

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Okay. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Was that taken up in Pittsburgh? Because that is the only place I've ever heard that word used regularly.
I think you might’ve been hanging out with the wrong people then.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:26 pm

If we give the teachers the police budget they'd get less pay.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:26 pm

Wolf calls for police oversight, troopers association calls it an attack on law enforcement

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/ ... forcement/

So it took one day for the police to start fighting the reform efforts.
I believe Pittsburgh was the first major city to try to implement all the policies from 8cantwait.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:27 pm

I worked warehouses and shipping/receiving.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:27 pm

I worked warehouses and shipping/receiving.
Well there’s your problem.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:28 pm

I heard it far more in PA than in OK.

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Supplemental, sweetheart. Not an exchange. The local police don't needs tanks to protect the citizenry with tanks. Educators need to upgrade textbooks that still want to bicker the merits of the scopes trial.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm

I guess I can't just continue to sit around and watch people dismiss things because they don't understand them because they've never had to deal with the issue.

This past week has been a lot of points being made in support of the black community and then a lot of people saying "Well, yeah, but..." and then completely dismissing the point (and in some cases trying to turn it back on the black community, like shad saying "but black people commit more crime"... Sure, that may be true, but that has nothing to do with the situation at hand and trying to deflect the meaning of the current movement back like that is incredibly hard to sit back and watch someone do - especially someone who claims to be (and generally is) a good person).

The dismissive-ness is grating to me. Do I think I could word things differently? Sure. But I, personally, am having trouble sitting here and watching people create excuse after excuse for why we shouldn't be sitting back and listening to the black community on this one and dismissing their opinions. And so it comes out in my posts.

I am sorry if my wording offends people or comes across as crass/in-your-face, but I feel strongly about this.
All of this because of the word meh.

I didn't dismiss it.

You have never had to deal with the issue either, so your expertise is equal to mine.

I tried to explain away "meh" and it didn't work. I told you that I do get it. "Also this" does not mean "what you said is dismissed and should be replaced with this".

All of the following statements can be true at the same time:
-I was taught to respect and obey cops no matter what
-I will teach the same to my sons
-Even though the cop might be in the wrong, there is nothing I can do at the point in time of the interaction to address that and I should still respect and obey to keep the situation contained and to keep the cop feeling safe, which in turn improves my own safety
-CC Sabathia's son has a higher chance of having a police situation escalate than my son does
-If everyone of every race treated cops with respect and obedience in their dealings, incidents would decrease.

So please, enough with the cookie cutter insults if I dont express my agreement with you the exact way you want me to.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:31 pm

I heard it far more in PA than in OK.
Well the majority of PA is a cesspool. I’ve lived in the city for almost 10 years and haven’t heard that word used once. I’m not saying racism doesn’t exist here. It exists everywhere.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:32 pm

Supplemental, sweetheart. Not an exchange. The local police don't needs tanks to protect the citizenry with tanks. Educators need to upgrade textbooks that still want to bicker the merits of the scopes trial.
Most of those tanks were donated thanks to the program set up by Clinton, ended by Obama, and brought back by Trump.

Local PD ain't going down to the local Army/Navy and getting a MRAP.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:33 pm

Every year for the past 12 years, I’ve watched my fiancé spend hundreds and hundreds of her own money to buy supplies for her classroom. Schools could definitely use the money.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 pm

This stuff is so crazy. Two weeks ago Whitmer was throwing a barber in jail.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 pm

“Textbooks,” lol. Haven’t seen those in awhile.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Also, MR, its OK for people to speak on topics with a broader scope than just this Floyd incident

That doesn't make it a "yeah, but".

It makes it a conversation.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Comparing funding between education and policing is a fools errand. Far too much variability at a local level. When Covid hit, we were still waiting on a budget in NC to see an increase in our 2019-20 salaries, which we are still playing catch up from 2008 cuts. And now we’ll be even further set back. Policing, in general, takes less of a cut locally.