Politics And Current Events

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat May 30, 2020 7:58 pm

And therein lies the rub. "white guy did it!" like that makes it a bigger or smaller deal.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat May 30, 2020 8:01 pm

So color matters again now?

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat May 30, 2020 8:02 pm

It doesn’t make it bigger or smaller but in a peaceful protest organized by a black group about a black citizen being killed by a white cop, it seems to be an important distinction.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat May 30, 2020 8:04 pm

multiple locations in ATL. a large crows of folks are outside the Governor's mansion, supposedly he's not there. charging the mansion would be the dumbest thing the protestors could do. no way the cops and National Guard let them in there.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Considering we spent almost this entire morning having people argue about how black people should protest, doesn't it seem... pertinent? that we have video evidence of a white guy escalating the protest in our city?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 pm

It doesn’t make it bigger or smaller but in a peaceful protest organized by a black group about a black citizen being killed by a white cop, it seems to be an important distinction.
Agree. And I guess what I meant was looking at it in a vacuum. I know that it is not all black people doing this rioting. But I guess I have a functional brain, unlike a lot of the general populace.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Let's all jusy be thankful that Kenny Chesney was canceled. Could you imagine both on the same day :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 pm

This is an aside to the Floyd story specifically, but look at what Van Jones, prominent black activist, said today:
"James Baldwin said it best: White people in these situations are always innocent. [mocking] 'Oh my G*d, I can't believe this, teach me, educate me, help me understand, how did this happen, talk to me, tell me something, tell me what to do.' White people are always innocent — and their innocence constitutes their crime. It is too late to be innocent."

This is kind of Exhibit A why I am not going to be ashamed of myself for being white like so many of these SJW types seem to want us to. I think there are a lot of black people that hold a very similar disdain and loathing for white people, and it has nothing to do with what happened to George Floyd.

I know people like John Boyega will insist that only one kind of racism matters. It doesn't matter that Asian and Jewish populations have suffered horribly at the hands of their racist black neighbors in US cities for years. Seriously, do some reading. A very large chunk of the black community holds some pretty abhorrent views of those groups of people. But according to people like Jones and Boyega, the only racism that exists or matters is black people being oppressed by white people. They are the only victim class that matters.

So sorry, I'm not going to read articles and books about how I can "address my privilege" and be a better ally. FFS, BLM organizers have SEGREGATED THEIR OWN WHITE ALLIES at their previous rallies, and basically told them to keep their mouths shut and listen. Until there is a willingness to show some level of accountability and address the myriad of self-inflicted issues in their own community, I'm not going to spend countless hours feeling guilty about my privilege and hearing about how it's all our fault.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Not screenshotting another friend's Facebook post, but:
It was a white guy on top of the first police car, lots white guys trying to antagonize the police and cause a scene, and I took a video of a white guy yelling at a police officer telling him to "f*** himself" while people of color were trying to calm everyone down and get on the same page about keeping things peaceful.
I'm not denying the veracity of this, but let's not pretend that there aren't a whole boatload of black people that are being violent and destructive right now. You seem hell bent on convincing all of us that all of the black protesters are peaceful and all of the white protesters are the inciters. It's a mix on both sides which isn't surprising.

My response to this is above, but on a separate note, please stop trying to put words into my mouth. You keep trying to twist what I'm saying into something I'm not implying.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Considering we spent almost this entire morning having people argue about how black people should protest, doesn't it seem... pertinent? that we have video evidence of a white guy escalating the protest in our city?
I'm sure there are white far Left agitators that are inciting sht in most cities. I'm not sure what the point of this is. Is it that black people are so easily led around by the nose that they see one white guy doing something bad and the rest of them can't help themselves? Because that seems pretty insulting in its own right.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Please read the post directly above yours. Stop trying to start **** with me by claiming I'm saying something that I'm not.

I'm insulted that you even insinuate that I'm trying to say that.
Last edited by MR25 on Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Pretty much all whites involved are far left, no? The SJW types.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Please read the post directly above yours. Stop trying to start **** with me by claiming I'm saying something that I'm not.
I read your post. I'm not sure why you are going out of your way to point out there are white people doing bad things too. I kind of figured that most of these riot situations were a mix of black people and their supporters from other demographics. Was just trying to figure out your point is all. Sorry if I insinuated anything untoward.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat May 30, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm sure there are white far Left agitators that are inciting sht in most cities. I'm not sure what the point of this is. Is it that black people are so easily led around by the nose that they see one white guy doing something bad and the rest of them can't help themselves? Because that seems pretty insulting in its own right.
:fist:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:21 pm

One interesting contrast... I was thinking about all of the quarantine protests in state capitals all over the country a couple of weeks ago. A bunch of right wing rednecks toting weapons all over the streets, and miraculously there were virtually no news stories about riots, businesses being burned/destroyed, cop cars being flipped over, etc. Yet I seem to remember the media breathlessly telling us how dangerous those rallies were.

Now you have riots that are "actually" dangerous, but about the extent you hear of it is "protests have turned violent". Can't use the "R" word I guess.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat May 30, 2020 8:22 pm

This is an aside to the Floyd story specifically, but look at what Van Jones, prominent black activist, said today:
"James Baldwin said it best: White people in these situations are always innocent. [mocking] 'Oh my G*d, I can't believe this, teach me, educate me, help me understand, how did this happen, talk to me, tell me something, tell me what to do.' White people are always innocent — and their innocence constitutes their crime. It is too late to be innocent."

This is kind of Exhibit A why I am not going to be ashamed of myself for being white like so many of these SJW types seem to want us to. I think there are a lot of black people that hold a very similar disdain and loathing for white people, and it has nothing to do with what happened to George Floyd.

I know people like John Boyega will insist that only one kind of racism matters. It doesn't matter that Asian and Jewish populations have suffered horribly at the hands of their racist black neighbors in US cities for years. Seriously, do some reading. A very large chunk of the black community holds some pretty abhorrent views of those groups of people. But according to people like Jones and Boyega, the only racism that exists or matters is black people being oppressed by white people. They are the only victim class that matters.

So sorry, I'm not going to read articles and books about how I can "address my privilege" and be a better ally. FFS, BLM organizers have SEGREGATED THEIR OWN WHITE ALLIES at their previous rallies, and basically told them to keep their mouths shut and listen. Until there is a willingness to show some level of accountability and address the myriad of self-inflicted issues in their own community, I'm not going to spend countless hours feeling guilty about my privilege and hearing about how it's all our fault.
The fact that these groups basically are telling us we have to choose between 1) being sorry we are white or 2) being a racist, is why the 2016 election turned out the way it did.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat May 30, 2020 8:39 pm

Van Jones has always been an idiot.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat May 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Actually we were talking about how all people should protest. Why do you have to make it about race?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat May 30, 2020 8:43 pm

I'm insulted that you even insinuate that I'm trying to say that.
:thumb:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Good guy with a gun just saved a lot of lives in Seattle.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:13 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:17 pm

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... n-violent/
Thirteen police officers have been injured, ranging from chemical burns to sprains. Multiple arrests have been made.

“I have never seen a group of people have more restraint, putting up with what they put up with — spit at, bottles thrown at them, urine thrown at them, caustic agents and balloons thrown in their eyes,” Mayor Jim Kenney said.

Kenney has implemented a mandatory citywide curfew, beginning at 8 p.m. tonight and lasting until 6 a.m. Sunday.

Animals. And unfortunately, there's only one thing that they will understand, and that is brute force in response. The lunatics are running the asylum in Philly right now.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat May 30, 2020 9:18 pm

Lots of fireworks? Going off in east end now

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat May 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Lots of fireworks? Going off in east end now
Haven’t heard anything at my place in the east end. Constant helicopters and the occasional siren but no fireworks.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Think I just need to take a break from this thread for a while.