Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 29, 2020 4:12 pm

You do see how hilarious it is that you've apparently sat quietly for 5 years and the one thing that is the straw that broke the camels back and made you register is "racism used to be worse. I mean, look at Oprah."
How dare you...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Maybe he only posts once every five years so we'll have to wait for his response.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Then comment on that video or post something from another trusted news source. That garbage "news" network wouldn't be allowed as a source on a college paper.
Cool story.
I like trustworthy sources and not propaganda machines who employ white supremacists, post videos encouraging violence against protestors, published a story with the headline "Here's The Photo Some Described As A Nude Selfie Of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
[it wasn't her], consistently spreads misinformation, and outright lies to further their agenda. Crazy, right?
What do those stories have to do with this true story that happened?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm

You nearly had a full blown meltdown over Morkle posting a video from twitter that just so happened to be on Aaron Rapur's twitter feed. I'm not sure you have a defensible position here despite the fact that I agree when it's just a video clip it shouldn't really matter on the source.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Then comment on that video or post something from another trusted news source. That garbage "news" network wouldn't be allowed as a source on a college paper.
Cool.

I find it... ironic (is that the right word here?) you dont understand why someone would complain about the Daily Caller when you yourself call people "terrorist sympathizers" for posting Aaron Rupar tweets that have interesting video completely unrelated to Rupar's commentary.
The difference is I had no idea who the **** the daily caller was. Saw they had a video and quote from cbs with the owner of bar that was burned down. So I shared it. I’ll refrain from using the daily caller.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Yep.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Yep.

Wait. You think they were fine with yesterday?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Cool.

I find it... ironic (is that the right word here?) you dont understand why someone would complain about the Daily Caller when you yourself call people "terrorist sympathizers" for posting Aaron Rupar tweets that have interesting video completely unrelated to Rupar's commentary.
The difference is I had no idea who the **** the daily caller was. Saw they had a video and quote from cbs with the owner of bar that was burned down. So I shared it. I’ll refrain from using the daily caller.
This defense wasn't acceptable when I did it, btw. I had no idea who that person was when it was re-tweeted, but that wasn't OK.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Ehh... the daily caller has been mentioned like twice in the last two years on ITT.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 pm

I still couldn't even tell you that guys name had you asked me to repeat it, but hey, what are you going to do.

Guess we'll allow your excuse like a normal person would, hopefully you'll remember this next time.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Man. What a pissing match that was.

I guess its good news that a black firefighter's startup sports bar was not burnt down.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Yep.

Wait. You think they were fine with yesterday?
You don't think that if the rioters entered into a part of town with a Saks Fifth Avenue the police would have been more involved?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 29, 2020 5:07 pm

They burnt the police precinct to the ground. I feel like if the police would have liked to have stopped anything it would be their own precinct.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:21 pm

I stand by my earlier post.

With that said I guess I will concede some progress but in the grand overall scheme of things it's very very very little.

The lack of progress is also just swept under the rug. Everyone pretends to care but no one really wants to make changes. Thus the cycle continues and people of color die for no reason. It's disgusting.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Why is there so little progress in a place like Minneapolis, or Minnesota for that matter?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Why is there so little progress in a place like Minneapolis, or Minnesota for that matter?
Why is there so little progress in the entire country? It's not any individual state problem. The entire country has a problem.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Last edited by faftorial on Fri May 29, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 pm

That new poster sure hates North Greenville University for some reason...do they even have sports? Who is their rival? @DigitalGypsy66 ?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 pm

What in the ever loving hell was that pissing match over that news story? Just because something is posted on the Daily Caller doesn't mean it is "garbage". FFS, like nobody said they were pulling video from CBS. The report was from the local CBS affiliate. Such a bizarre thing to get hung up on.

Just because it didn't make the front page of CNN doesn't mean it isn't true. I don't know... Maybe the story (a successful black man having his livelihood destroyed by other violent black men looting and rioting) doesn't fit their narrative?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 pm

I figured it was Ned and someone in section NGU at Beaver Stadium made him angry

https://www.rateyourseats.com/mobile/se ... -ncaaf/NGU

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm

This is a Facebook post from the firefighters significant other. Is this credible enough?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm

If anything, I thought it was weird that the story started with "Black firefighter..." so you know the angle that's being played right off the hop...but other than that, of all the things to get hooked on today, that was sure something...

Otherwise, I thought things went pretty well...there was actually some legitimate discussion in there...and I don't think any sentences started with "I was told..."

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm

It has to start at the police level with better trainings, more crack down on misconduct when they are small, maybe some policy changes (although I'm not sure what that looks like personally). A decrease in the amount of war equipment given to police departments.
That's one of the things that got me about this. I don't think there's a law enforcement organization in this country that teaches a submission hold like this. The risk is just too high. So this cop brought the move to the party from outside his official training, whether it was from some class or a f**king YouTube video or he just improvised it in the moment.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Why is there so little progress in the entire country? It's not any individual state problem. The entire country has a problem.
Things like this are almost always about local tensions.

America is too big for one central government to fix problems between the Minneapolis police and its citizens.

Some blue ribbon panel from the Justice Department or HHS is not equipped, even if staffed by the best people, to guide a solution to an issue decades in the making.

Pretty obvious the local people in Minnesota have failed pretty hardcore. I'm more interesting question is what can be done that hasn't been done too deal with what is motivating everything.
Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:36 pm

It's not like Bull Conner has been in charge of Minnesota.

One would figure 60 years after the Civil Rights Act the good people of Minnesota Nice would have cleaned things up.
One would have hoped 100 years after the Civil War we wouldn't have needed a Voting Rights Act or A Civil Rights Act.