Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am

The idea of protests is to bring attention to a cause. Blocking a road and causing a traffic jam or a longer than usual commute is an entirely peaceful way to make regular people notice without harming anyone. Now, if you block an ambulance, firetruck, or police vehicle trying to get to an emergency, you're an dadhole.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am

I know offsides mentioned this before, but it is definitely times like these where I am extremely grateful to not be living in or near an urban center.
Off topic but as much as I whine about Somerset, I can't imagine living in a city. There's just nothing appealing about being crammed in with hundreds of thousands/millions of people. Hats off to those who can do it, but I'd lose my mind.

Of course, I'm the guy who wants a cabin in the middle of 100 acres in Maine so I'm pretty anti-social.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am

Should have been more clear WRT the blocking traffic comment:

Protests have to take some space. That space happens to be roads.

How many times did we hear complaints about the Antwon Rose protestors going down certain roads downtown because people had to be "inconvenienced" by taking a different route. They claim the protestors "block traffic" because the roads the protestors use were closed for the protest.

I think we can all agree that organized protests are fine, because the city emergency services plan for them. I.E. ambulance services. Unorganized protests that stop traffic are a hazard and are not peaceful.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 29, 2020 10:50 am

Putting myself in their shoes for a minute, where has peaceful protest gotten them?
Where has the violence gotten them?

And more innocent people are getting hurt in the process.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am

Four police murdered somebody in broad daylight while being filmed? Hold up, let me get my protest permit.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 am

How many times did we hear complaints about the Antwon Rose protestors going down certain roads downtown because people had to be "inconvenienced" by taking a different route. They claim the protestors "block traffic" because the roads the protestors use were closed for the protest.
If they requested the roads be shut down ahead of time, etc, and did there protests, I'm fine with that. If they start marching down the parkway east in middle of rush hour traffic, I'm not ok with it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 29, 2020 10:59 am

The idea of protests is to bring attention to a cause. Blocking a road and causing a traffic jam or a longer than usual commute is an entirely peaceful way to make regular people notice without harming anyone. Now, if you block an ambulance, firetruck, or police vehicle trying to get to an emergency, you're an dadhole.
What if a person stuck in the traffic is having a baby, or a medical emergency. Or has to be somewhere important.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 29, 2020 10:59 am

Putting myself in their shoes for a minute, where has peaceful protest gotten them?
Where has the violence gotten them?

And more innocent people are getting hurt in the process.
I'm not saying it's right.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

"I don't want your anger about somebody being murdered due to the color of their skin to get in the way of my afternoon commute."

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 am

"I don't want your anger about somebody being murdered due to the color of their skin to get in the way of my afternoon commute."
That's so **** dumb.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 am

Yup... it is.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2020 11:02 am

Super dumb.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 am

I don't want your anger about someone being murdered because of race possibly cause other people to die of a medical emergency that had nothing to do with the problem.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am

the medical emergency thing is valid, but I wonder how often that actually occurs.

I don't have much sympathy for people being blocked in traffic otherwise. Of course, this has never happened to me, so I don't know what being blocked in traffic for x amount actually feels like, but it's really not the end of the world

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 29, 2020 11:05 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2020 11:06 am

As I said, purposefully blocking an ambulance is an dadhole move. Operation Gridlock comes to mind.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 am

There's a big difference between emergency vehicles being blocked and an overweight middle age white guy getting home from work 20 mins late.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 am

I don't want your anger about someone being murdered because of race possibly cause other people to die of a medical emergency that had nothing to do with the problem.
Exactly. It's not just "afternoon commute...derp".

You know what, everytime someone is pissed off about something, let's just disrupt society then. Let's commit violence. Let's loot. Let's riot. Because no one will take notice otherwise.

There are 300 million people in the country, so everyone is going to have a different view of what consistutes "anger" and protesting. So who's to say what is considered a time to riot and destroy ****.

And what amazes me is it seems some of the same people that blasted the morons who brought their guns to the government building, albeit in a peaceful way because they were angry with the COVID restrictions, which were affecting their lives, are ok with this.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am

I dont think anyone in here is complaining about the inconvenience aspect of roads being blocked. I have no problem with organized protests causing road closures. This coming from a guy who hates all protests. I can go around. No big deal.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am

There's a big difference between emergency vehicles being blocked and an overweight middle age white guy getting home from work 20 mins late.
Today in false dichotomies...

Is there a way that those spontaneously blocking traffic have a way of knowing when it's only middle age white guys?

I mean by definition you don't schedule emergencies.
Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 am

the medical emergency thing is valid, but I wonder how often that actually occurs.

I don't have much sympathy for people being blocked in traffic otherwise. Of course, this has never happened to me, so I don't know what being blocked in traffic for x amount actually feels like, but it's really not the end of the world
It could be for some, in those emergencies. Sometimes children have to be picked up from somewhere by a certain time. There may people trying to get their last flight home and need to get to the airport. Etc, etc. It's not just "well I may have to eat dinner an hour late" or "miss my show".

There are accidents where you can't help the above, but that is exactly what those are, accidents. People purposely stopping traffic (I'm not talking about having roads closed to protest so others have to take a different route) is not fine in my book.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 am

I dont actually believe anyone is ok with this. If they say they are its to fit their own narrative IMO.

Something like 170 businesses in the area were physically damaged. Nobody can think that is right.

The footage of that cub foods location made me sick to my stomach.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am

I know offsides mentioned this before, but it is definitely times like these where I am extremely grateful to not be living in or near an urban center.
Off topic but as much as I whine about Somerset, I can't imagine living in a city. There's just nothing appealing about being crammed in with hundreds of thousands/millions of people. Hats off to those who can do it, but I'd lose my mind.

Of course, I'm the guy who wants a cabin in the middle of 100 acres in Maine so I'm pretty anti-social.
Lived in Boston 5 years and wouldn’t live in a city again. The Twin Cities however is one of my favorite places to visit. Great people. Dipshit cops apparently.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am

Do you consider these repeated police brutalities to constitute an attack...?
@nobody It's a busy thread and I didn't quote you. It's also okay to punt on the question, but it was geared towards our exchange...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 am

Do you consider these repeated police brutalities to constitute an attack...?
@nobody It's a busy thread and I didn't quote you. It's also okay to punt on the question, but it was geared towards our exchange...
I would have problems with just attacking the police directly. I think first we need to figure out some type of systematic change first. If you change things and the police lash out, then yes i would consider it an attack.