Politics And Current Events

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon May 11, 2020 1:31 pm

imo
income inequality, not facebook nor twitter, is by far the primary reason for the hyper-partisanship (which is getting worse by the day)
there are/is a group of people who'd like to remediate that inequality and another group determined to sustain it.
president dumbass is a member of the latter group

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 11, 2020 1:32 pm

One of my neighbors is bragging about causing a scene at Giant Eagle in regards to refusing to wear a mask. The echo chamber is treating her like she just led the US to a gold medal. I fully expect a GoFundMe to spring up within the day. :lol:

obhave

Postby obhave » Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm

An ice cream place in MA opened this weekend for the first time since all businesses shut down. And apparently the first day was a disaster with huge harassment from customers who didn't follow the rules about pre-ordering 1hr ahead of time.

One of them yelled at the owner and he was essentially like "Ma'am, it's ice cream. Please calm down. You don't need this or have to be here." It is the first day they are trying to run their business in this climate, of course it is not going to go perfectly.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:58 pm

I saw a story that there was apparently a brawl at an Atlanta-area mall the day stuff reopened there. That's fun.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Well, that would have happened anyway...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Is that Oiler's Jersey.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Yeah, it looks like it means to be a Darnell Nurse jersey...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon May 11, 2020 2:56 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB13V7pA

"Partisan tribalism"...I kinda feel like we are irreparably damaged as a nation. It's depressing.

I'm not one of those people that pretends America wasn't divided before...this is a country that went through the Civil War after all, and even after that, there were periods of major division--the 60s/70s, FDR's presidency (which was very polarizing), etc. I dunno...I just feel like the Internet and social media are the major reason why this division is going continue to be exacerbated and I just don't see the nation ever coming back together. Even in some future scenario where there is a war similar to WWII, in which most of the world was united against a certifiably evil cause in a justified military action, even then I don't think things would change much.

I know I sound like a broken record but I really do believe Facebook, Twitter, etc. are the chief channels for this. When you have (often unintelligent) viewpoints being blasted at you 24/7, it only serves to entrench both sides even further. Sucks man. I don't buy into the sentiment you see often on Reddit that the United States is a "third world country with a Gucci belt". As much as people from other countries like to sht on the US, I think this is a pretty damn awesome country and there are millions of immigrants or sons and daughters of immigrants that would tell you the same thing. It's heartbreaking to see what's become of us.

Sorry for the soapbox....
👍

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Trump set to begin questioning the death toll (as others have done for a while now):
President Trump has complained to advisers about the way coronavirus deaths are being calculated, suggesting the real numbers are actually lower — and a number of his senior aides share this view, according to sources with direct knowledge.

What's next: A senior administration official said he expects the president to begin publicly questioning the death toll as it closes in on his predictions for the final death count and damages him politically.

The U.S. death toll has surpassed 71,000, with more than 1.2 million confirmed cases, according to the latest figures.
Trump's engagement could amplify a partisan gulf we saw in this week's Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus Index over believing the death statistics.

https://www.axios.com/trump-coronavirus ... 5fb34.html

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon May 11, 2020 3:59 pm

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 11, 2020 5:03 pm

More from Wolf (moved here):
“You business owners, these politicians put you at risk of losing your health department’s certificate, they put you business owners at risk of losing your liquor license, they put you business owners at risk of losing your certificate of occupancy,” Wolf said. "All these depend upon you’re doing everything you can to keep your patrons safe, and by opening before the evidence suggests you should, you’re taking undue risks with the safety of your customers.

“Businesses that do follow the whims of local politicians and ignore the law and the welfare of their customers who probably find themselves uninsured, because insurance does not cover things that happen to businesses breaking the law. And, let me be clear: Employees that fear for their safety because a business has opened illegally, they don’t have to go to work. Instead, they can stay at home, stay safe, and collect their unemployment benefits. Finally, the politicians who are encouraging the people they were elected to lead to quit the fight, are acting in a most cowardly way. This is not the time to give up. This is not the time to surrender. This is the time to rededicate ourselves to the task of beating this virus.”

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 11, 2020 5:14 pm

And if after a few weeks the Governor decides they need to rollback from yellow to red, then what do those counties do for their citizens?
What do you think the counties are doing for their citizens now? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just confused. Somerset County is still in the red. My business is closed. I haven't received anything from the county nor will I ever. Money given to counties doesn't trickle down to the taxpayers. It keeps the county's own bills paid.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 11, 2020 5:16 pm

An absolutely hilarious Pretense for complaint. That wolf is threatening to withhold federal covid stimulus from counties that are willfully refusing to abide by covid precaution measures.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon May 11, 2020 5:18 pm

I saw a story that there was apparently a brawl at an Atlanta-area mall the day stuff reopened there. That's fun.
must've been Lenox Square Mall. it's one of the ritziest malls in town but in the last year has suffered from crime problems.
edit: it was Cumberland? yeah, I never go over there for a reason..... :scared:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 11, 2020 5:24 pm

An absolutely hilarious Pretense for complaint. That wolf is threatening to withhold federal covid stimulus from counties that are willfully refusing to abide by covid precaution measures.
He's also threatening to take away liquor licenses for some restaurants, which would completely cripple some if it happened. But let's pretend like Wolf wasn't forcing nursing homes to take in patients testing positive for covid 19

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 11, 2020 5:26 pm

And if after a few weeks the Governor decides they need to rollback from yellow to red, then what do those counties do for their citizens?
What do you think the counties are doing for their citizens now? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just confused. Somerset County is still in the red. My business is closed. I haven't received anything from the county nor will I ever. Money given to counties doesn't trickle down to the taxpayers. It keeps the county's own bills paid.
If a county can't pay its bills then what? Also he pointed out possibly taking liquor licenses to restaurants.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:27 pm

I think it would be fine for the state government to withhold the extra COVID specific money from counties that won't enforce COVID related rules.
And to answer nobody, if a city or county wants to flaunt immigration rules then they should not receive immigration related founding.

If you want to tie COVID funding to immigration control like the President has announced, then you must wipe your nose when you poop. They're completely unrelated issues.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Well you agree to certain things when you get a license. So I assume you think everything should be open right now?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 11, 2020 5:30 pm

The curve is flattened, hospitals aren't over run. Why make counties wait a week to re-open and threaten them if they don't?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:30 pm

The reason liquor licenses, business licenses, occupancy licenses all exist is to make sure proprietors are not putting the public health in danger. If you as a business chose to ignore what the health department deems necessary to protect the public health then you deserve to lose that license.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 pm

The curve is flattened, hospitals aren't over run. Why make counties wait a week to re-open and threaten them if they don't?
So everything should be open? It was a yes or no question

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:33 pm

And to answer nobody, if a city or county wants to flaunt immigration rules then they should not receive immigration related founding.
Immigration is a federal issue, so I'm unsure what or how much such money is being passed down to states.

What has historically been at issue is law enforcement-related funding. Trump signed an EO 2 or 3 years ago to withhold such funding to sanctuary jurisdictions, and it was blocked by courts.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Might I suggest that the reason every country doesn't rush to the doors at the same time is the same idea behind flattening the curve. You're trying to spread out the rush back to normalcy. Because if the whole area runs whole hog out the door you'll just spike it again and risk running out of resources.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 11, 2020 5:36 pm

So everything should be open? It was a yes or no question
What's the difference between Walmart, Lowes, etc. being open and others to be closed? Just because a business is open you aren't forced to go as you're welcome to stay home as you see fit.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 pm

So yes?