Politics And Current Events

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Patty Owen, an Elle and Cosmopolitan cover star, recalls seeing Trump at Elite parties as far back as 1982. “He would always be at the bar. That’s where he would stay and that’s where all the new models would hang out,” she says. “Whenever I saw him, I was always like: why does John have to invite him?” Barbara Pilling, also then an Elite model, told us Trump asked her out for dinner in the summer of 1989 at an industry soiree. She recalls Trump asking how old she was. “I said 17 and he said, ‘That’s just great – you’re not too old, not too young.’”
Trump now disputes being friends with Casablancas. The president’s representatives told the Guardian that he denies it “in the strongest possible terms”. Trump, they said, “hardly knew him, spent very little time with him, and knew very little about him”.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 05, 2020 5:42 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 05, 2020 6:37 am

Time to re-open schools.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 am

That's a shame

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 05, 2020 10:20 am

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am

Outside of the loud voices protesting on capitol grounds to reopen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 am

Keeping golf courses closed seems dumb.

Barber shops and salons, not sure what people are thinking there. Seem like obvious businesses to keep closed.

Gyms? :eyeroll:

Why are gun stores separated out? I would think those are included with retail shops.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 am

Anti-vaxxers tooling up for a fight:
Leaders of the anti-vaccination movement, who in recent years have seen their efforts frustrated as U.S. states have adopted stricter laws promoting the inoculation of children, are seizing on the anxiety and social unrest generated by the virus and the government attempts to contain it.

Anti-vaccination protesters have been a visible presence in recent weeks at rallies to end the lockdowns that continue in many states. But beyond the rallies and hand-painted signs, the movement’s chief organizers have launched a less confrontational but more far-reaching information campaign. Incorporating the rhetoric honed over years to sow fear of childhood vaccines, they maintain that mandated quarantines are new evidence of government officials’ zeal to control individual health-care choices.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... s-vaccine/

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 am

Anti vaxxers should get their own separate state so they can all die by themselves

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am

Bring me the head of jenny mccarthy.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 05, 2020 11:30 am

Barber shops and salons, not sure what people are thinking there. Seem like obvious businesses to keep closed.

Why are gun stores separated out? I would think those are included with retail shops.
Yes, this.

Re: bolded. It's to make for an easy headline/talking point/high-road play by the surveyors...it's like a mix of questionnaire bias with desirability bias...

Which leads to such message board talking points that start with "can you believe..." when, in reality, given the list of choices the gun store choice should have been easily left off as it doesn't fit with the remainder of the choices in any meaningful way...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue May 05, 2020 11:31 am

Lol. The state faces scrutiny. If Trump made the decision to mandate that nursing homes take coronavirus patients, no doubt that would be in the headline. Can’t say anything negative and attach Cuomo to that...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 05, 2020 11:35 am

Yes, this.

Re: bolded. It's to make for an easy headline/talking point/high-road play by the surveyors...it's like a mix of questionnaire bias with desirability bias...

Which leads to such message board talking points that start with "can you believe..." when, in reality, given the list of choices the gun store choice should have been easily left off as it doesn't fit with the remainder of the choices in any meaningful way...
Uhhh, people have been specifically protesting over gun stores being closed. It's a thing.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 05, 2020 11:36 am

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html

This is a hero to the Somerset crowd.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 05, 2020 11:43 am

Yes, this.

Uhhh, people have been specifically protesting over gun stores being closed. It's a thing.
That sounds terrifical...but it has little relevance to what I said...

Similarly, nail and hair salons should not have been separated...

If it was intended to be a sample of all reasons for protests, there would be additional, specified choices like bars, etc. but it's a pointed survey with the intention of getting a specific result...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am

That sounds terrifical...but it has little relevance to what I said...

Similarly, nail and hair salons should not have been separated...

If it was intended to be a sample of all reasons for protests, there would be additional, specified choices like bars, etc. but it's a pointed survey with the intention of getting a specific result...
Those categories have been specifically mentioned when talking about reopening businesses. Pay attention to the news.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 05, 2020 11:56 am

The notion of having a conversation with you about bias in reporting is the equivalent of talking to the Chick-Fil-A spokes-cows about eating beef...

You can have the point if you think you deserve it somehow, but let the record show someone from your team actually pointed it out...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm

I was surprised when I read from people in here that PA golf courses were closed. That’s kind of silly; golf is a naturally socially distanced sport. Just do 1 person per cart (unless the pairing lives together) or let people walk. But otherwise it’s a healthy thing to do with very little risk of spreading diseases

NC hasn’t closed courses and I’ve gone 5 times since the quarantine started

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 05, 2020 12:04 pm

Yeah, if there's one thing that should be opened, golf courses is that thing...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 05, 2020 12:06 pm

I was surprised when I read from people in here that PA golf courses were closed. That’s kind of silly; golf is a naturally socially distanced sport. Just do 1 person per cart (unless the pairing lives together) or let people walk. But otherwise it’s a healthy thing to do with very little risk of spreading diseases

NC hasn’t closed courses and I’ve gone 5 times since the quarantine started
I get the rationale, it has less to do with the actual act of golfing, and more to do with the staff that is required to maintain and operate the course. It's on of those things where risk mitigation would not be terribly difficult, but still requires to course management to design and implement the safety precautions.

For me it goes back to the unnecessary distinction between "essential" and "non essential" business. The amount of time spent figuring that out was wasted, the efforts should have been focuses on risky vs non-risky activities. The country should have spent the effort trying to lower the risk of transmission at the risky places instead of trying to figure out which businesses are essentail.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Tue May 05, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 05, 2020 12:08 pm

you have three cart guys working, a few maintenance guys spread over 100+ acres on a course and someone taking payment info.. it's not rocket science. I think the risk is how thorough the cart guys are really sanitizing the carts between use

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Anti vaxxers should get their own separate state so they can all die by themselves
I feel bad for the kids who have no choice.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 05, 2020 12:51 pm

The notion of having a conversation with you about bias in reporting is the equivalent of talking to the Chick-Fil-A spokes-cows about eating beef...

You can have the point if you think you deserve it somehow, but let the record show someone from your team actually pointed it out...
:pop:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Yeah. That sucks

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm

Yup. Golf courses here are open, but clubhouse is limited in number of people who can enter, only one person per cart, and they tell you not to touch anything other than your own things on the course.