Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:02 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:03 pm

And people rag on Biden for being a senile fool.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Port of L.A. engineer intentionally derailed train in attempted attack on USNS Mercy, federal prosecutors say
A train engineer at the Port of Los Angeles is facing federal charges for allegedly charging a locomotive off tracks toward the USNS Mercy, which he suspected is tied to a government plot, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.

Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro, was handed over to FBI agents Wednesday and charged with one count of train wrecking in Tuesday's derailment, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles.

Moreno admitted he purposefully ran the train off the end of its tracks at full speed near the hospital ship in two separate interviews, officials said.

He allegedly told investigators he believed the ship — which docked at the port last week to relieve strain on area hospitals during the coronavirus outbreak — had a secret purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover.
Huh

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:43 pm

I love that Train Wrecking is a legitimate statutory charge. :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Trump calling COVID the enemy so he can refer to himself as a wartime president bugs me.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:04 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/us/p ... trump.html
Kushner Puts Himself in the Middle of the White House’s Chaotic Coronavirus Response
President Trump’s son-in-law has become a central player in the White House effort to curb the pandemic. But critics say he is part of the problem.
Why is Kushner anywhere near this?
So he’s in the task force AND managing Trumps campaign? Is there nothing this wonderboy can’t do?

https://www.citizensforethics.org/press ... ite-house/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Trump calling COVID the enemy so he can refer to himself as a wartime president bugs me.
It would be nice if he took that to heart, in terms of mobilizing the federal bureaucracy, instead of just a chance to say "I'm a Wartime President™".

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:22 pm

bettman: these pucks are for the the national hockey league. the teams can go get their own damn pucks.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:03 pm

It would be nice if he took that to heart, in terms of mobilizing the federal bureaucracy, instead of just a chance to say "I'm a Wartime President™".
Rosie the riveter has been draining her account renting movies on Amazon Prime and resorting to mixing vodka with kool-aid powder.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Wall of text regarding the covid-19 miracle cure. What's up with the right and miracle cures? All that garbage that Alex Jones sells. Pat Robertson and his Sea of Galilee water.

Last month, residents of Kiryas Joel, a New York village of 35,000 Hasidic Jews roughly an hour’s drive from Manhattan, began hearing about a promising treatment for the coronavirus that had been rippling through their community.

The source was Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, 46, a mild-mannered family doctor with offices near the village. Since early March, his clinics had treated people with coronavirus-like symptoms, and he had developed an experimental treatment consisting of an antimalarial medication called hydroxychloroquine, the antibiotic azithromycin and zinc sulfate.

After testing this three-drug cocktail on hundreds of patients, some of whom had only mild or moderate symptoms when they arrived, Dr. Zelenko claimed that 100 percent of them had survived the virus with no hospitalizations and no need for a ventilator.

“I’m seeing tremendous positive results,” he said in a March 21 video, which was addressed to President Trump and eventually posted to YouTube and Facebook.

What happened next is a modern pandemic parable that illustrates how the coronavirus is colliding with our fragile information ecosystem: a jumble of facts, falsehoods and viral rumors patched together from Twitter threads and shards of online news, amplified by armchair experts and professional partisans and pumped through the warp-speed accelerator of social media.

Dr. Zelenko’s treatment arrived at a useful moment for Mr. Trump and his media supporters, who have at times appeared more interested in discussing miracle cures than testing delays or ventilator shortages.

Sean Hannity, the Fox News host, quickly promoted Dr. Zelenko’s claims on his TV and radio shows. Mark Meadows, the incoming White House chief of staff, called Dr. Zelenko to ask about his treatment plan. And Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, praised him in a podcast interview this week for “thinking of solutions, just like the president.”

Few people have been as hopeful about hydroxychloroquine as Mr. Trump, who has enthusiastically promoted it for weeks as “very effective” and possibly “the biggest game changer in the history of medicine” — even as health experts have cautioned that more research and testing are needed.

That has not deterred Mr. Trump’s supporters, who have vilified public health officials such as Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the most outspoken advocate of emergency virus measures. Instead, some are pinning their hopes on Dr. Zelenko and his unproven treatment plan, which has now been seen by millions.
Editors’ Picks
They All Retired Before They Hit 40. Then This Happened.
What New York Looked Like During the 1918 Flu Pandemic
A Renter Realizes He Can Do Better Than Manhattan. Which of These Homes Did He Choose?

In a phone interview from his home, where he has been in self-isolation, Dr. Zelenko, who goes by Zev, described a dizzying week filled with calls from media and health officials from countries including Israel, Ukraine and Russia, all seeking information about his treatment. Some world leaders, including Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, are also talking up some of the same drugs as a cure.

“It’s a very surreal moment,” said Dr. Zelenko, who has been practicing medicine for 16 years. “I’m a simple country doctor, you know. I don’t have connections.”

The online spread of his treatment plan may have real-world consequences as countries consider testing the drugs he recommends on patients. Their popularity has also spurred shortages of hydroxychloroquine, which is used to treat lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic diseases.

In New York’s tight-knit Hasidic community, Dr. Zelenko’s sudden fame has caused tensions. Shortly after he posted on YouTube, a group of village officials wrote an open letter pleading with him to stop. They said he had exaggerated the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in Kiryas Joel, using a small sample of his patients to predict that as many as 90 percent of village residents would get the virus.

“Dr. Zelenko’s videos have caused widespread fear that has resulted in the discrimination against members of the Hasidic community throughout the region,” the officials wrote, disputing the figure.

Critics have accused Dr. Zelenko of getting ahead of scientific research. Several small studies, including a controversial French one of 20 coronavirus patients, have found that hydroxychloroquine may be effective against the coronavirus. This week, doctors in China said it had helped to speed the recovery of a small number of patients who were mildly ill from the coronavirus. But other studies have contradicted those findings, or have been inconclusive.

“Anyone who tells you these drugs work, or don’t work, is not basing that view on science,” said David Juurlink, the head of the division of clinical pharmacology at the University of Toronto. “There’s reason to be optimistic, and there’s also reason to be pessimistic.”

Dr. Jeff Paley, an internist in Englewood, N.J., who shares some patients with Dr. Zelenko, said it was “irresponsible” for him to promote a treatment without warning people that the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin can cause severe side effects if not properly administered, especially in patients with pre-existing heart problems.
Sign up to receive an email when we publish a new story about the coronavirus outbreak.

“I’ve gotten numerous calls from patients demanding the regimen, saying they believe Dr. Zelenko is magically curing his patients,” Dr. Paley said.

Dr. Zelenko, who learned two years ago that he had a rare form of cancer, was not the first doctor to recommend treating the coronavirus with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, though he was among the first to recommend that they be given to patients with only mild symptoms. He said that while he was optimistic, it was too early to tell whether the drugs would ultimately work.

But hopes for a miracle cure have ballooned as the coronavirus spreads, and Mr. Trump and his allies are not waiting for the clinical trials to finish. An analysis by Media Matters last week found that Fox News had promoted hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine as a coronavirus cure more than 100 times over three days.

Tech companies have begun cracking down on hyperbolic claims about the drugs. Last week, Twitter removed a tweet by Mr. Giuliani that said hydroxychloroquine was “100% effective” in treating Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. Facebook, YouTube and Twitter this week took down a video by Mr. Bolsonaro claiming that the drug “is working in all places.” YouTube later took down Dr. Zelenko’s video, saying it violated the site’s community guidelines.
Image“It’s a very surreal moment,” Dr. Zelenko said. “I’m a simple country doctor, you know. I don’t have connections.”
“It’s a very surreal moment,” Dr. Zelenko said. “I’m a simple country doctor, you know. I don’t have connections.”Credit...Bryan Derballa for The New York Times

Dr. Zelenko, who said he supported Mr. Trump, declined to discuss his politics in detail, saying they were “irrelevant” to his medical findings.

But he appeared to share the president’s initial skepticism about the virus. In early March, he posted several right-wing memes about the coronavirus on Facebook, including one that referred to the pandemic as a “Dem panic” and another that featured Hillary Clinton on a list of “things more likely to kill you than the coronavirus.”

“When I see something funny, I maybe in a juvenile way posted it without much thought,” Dr. Zelenko said of the posts. “I never thought that I would be in the public limelight.”

For more than a decade, Dr. Zelenko has been a fixture in Kiryas Joel, where a sign at the village entrance encourages visitors to “dress and behave in a modest way.” Unlike most of the residents, who belong to the Satmar sect of Orthodox Judaism, Dr. Zelenko is part of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement and does not live in Kiryas Joel itself, which has made him something of an outsider.

Ari Felberman, a patient of Dr. Zelenko’s for years, called him a “phenomenal doctor” and said that if he had exaggerated the coronavirus threat in Kiryas Joel, it was only out of concern for his patients’ health.

“When he spoke about how many people were affected, it was just to shake up the community and say, ‘Don’t take this lightly,’” Mr. Felberman said.

Villagers began experiencing coronavirus symptoms in early March. Days later, after Dr. Zelenko began treating patients with his three-drug combination and saw many of them improving, he created a YouTube account and uploaded his video that addressed Mr. Trump.

“At the time, it was a brand-new finding, and I viewed it like a commander in the battlefield,” he said of the video. “I realized I needed to speak to the five-star general.”

Hydroxychloroquine, which is sold under the brand name Plaquenil, has started selling out at many pharmacies nationwide. Some health systems have begun reserving their supplies for coronavirus patients, depriving those who take it for other conditions. At least four states have restricted hydroxychloroquine prescriptions to prevent hoarding.

HCQ, as hydroxychloroquine is known, is generally considered safe for clinical use. But it can be risky if patients administer the drugs themselves. Last month, an Arizona man died after ingesting a type of fish parasite treatment that listed chloroquine phosphate as one of its ingredients.

“You don’t want people stockpiling this at home,” said Dr. Dena Grayson, a biotech executive who has helped develop drugs for Ebola and other epidemics. “If you do get sick, you need to take this under close supervision of a doctor to make sure you don’t drop dead.”

This week, the F.D.A. issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, allowing doctors to distribute them to coronavirus patients. The agency’s chief scientist, Denise Hinton, wrote in the authorization order that the drugs “may be effective in treating Covid-19.” New York also recently began clinical trials of hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin.

While dealing with his newfound fame, Dr. Zelenko, who has been practicing telemedicine from his home office, is working to keep his coronavirus patients alive. He said his team had seen about 900 patients with possible coronavirus symptoms, treating about 350 with his regimen. None had died as of Thursday, he said, though six were hospitalized and two were on ventilators.

He is worried about his own health. One of his lungs was removed as part of his cancer treatment, and chemotherapy has weakened his immune system, putting him in a high-risk category for the coronavirus.

“I have eight children, and I want to live,” he said. “I’m personally motivated to find a solution.”

Dr. Zelenko said he understood the need for clinical trials but added that ignoring a hopeful possibility was also risky.

“I’m a strong supporter of clinical trials,” he said. “But they take time, and that’s one thing we don’t have. The virus is here, it’s World War III, and not everyone has fully comprehended that yet.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/tech ... drugs.html

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:35 pm

TL;DR: Is it about UPMC?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 pm

TL;DR: Is it about UPMC?
Yes it is.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 pm

This guy is a moron

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 pm

More like Pastor Greg Locke-d Up, amirite?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:27 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:47 am

This guy is a moron

I join the vast majority of my fellow Christians when I say this guy is indeed a moron.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/03/secret ... ic-report/
Trump has spent more than 350 days at his properties since taking office, according to the outlet's count, which has cost taxpayers more than $620,000.

The Secret Service alone has spent more than $420,000 on golf cart rentals alone since Trump took office.
That seems wild to me. Over a million dollars spent golfing, and 350 days at his resorts since he took office.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:02 am

The Captain of the USS Roosevelt was relieved of duties after going public with the situation on his aircraft carrier. Insubordination, obviously.

Here's how his crew responded to his leaving:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am

Awesome. SECNAV is a piece of **** **** and should be ashamed.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:38 am

https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... mp-1271172

Reap what you sow.
Privately, Republicans admit that the $77.9 million system that is now failing Florida workers is doing exactly what Scott designed it to do — lower the state’s reported number of jobless claims after the great recession.

“It’s a sh-- sandwich, and it was designed that way by Scott,” said one DeSantis advisor. “It wasn’t about saving money. It was about making it harder for people to get benefits or keep benefits so that the unemployment numbers were low to give the governor something to brag about.”

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 am

Trump has spent more than 350 days at his properties since taking office, according to the outlet's count, which has cost taxpayers more than $620,000.

The Secret Service alone has spent more than $420,000 on golf cart rentals alone since Trump took office.
That seems wild to me. Over a million dollars spent golfing, and 350 days at his resorts since he took office.
I don't think that's that bad IMO. That's over 4 years. Every president participates in leisure activities, they are human too.

I read the book Five Presidents written by agent Clint Hill who protected 5 presidents. He stated in the book they were constantly at vacation homes, out golfing, boating, etc. He said Eisenhower golfed almost every day it didn't rain.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 am

I know I'll get accused of wrong-teaming, but it seems wild to me that anyone would care about a million dollars...didn't they literally just print $1.3 trillion out of the clear blue sky or some such...? If it costs us a million dollars to stop him from getting in the way and doing dumb things, I say make it two million...either way, math guy here, that's probably less than a penny per person is it not...? Sold.

Anecdotally, sometimes it's tough to distinguish how far apart these numbers are...

A million seconds is like 11 and a half days...
A billion seconds is like 32 years...
A trillion seconds is over 31,000 years...

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:02 am

It's more the fact that this money is going from the Secret Service and into Trump's own pockets via his properties. This is the guy who makes a big deal about donating his salary, after all.

And this $1M is only Secret Service costs. The actual total from other agencies, etc. is well over one hundred million dollars.
https://trumpgolfcount.com/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:11 am

It's more the fact that this money is going from the Secret Service and into Trump's own pockets via his properties. This is the guy who makes a big deal about donating his salary, after all.

And this $1M is only Secret Service costs. The actual total from other agencies, etc. is well over one hundred million dollars.
I think the wrong point was taken - Presidential Salary while in office, the U.S. president receives a salary of $400,000 a year and a $50,000 expense account.

I'd be curious how much more was spent on food/beverages, random activities.

Also, I'd kill to have an entire year off in 4 years, while racking salary lol.

Then add on all the funny money being reserved at his towers via the Saudis and whoever else wants his business. I bet he's cleared a TON of money into his own company.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:16 am

I'm glad we are using back of the napkin estimates from some ladies website tracking how often Trump golfs.

Again, all presidents have done this.