Politics And Current Events

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:04 pm

Medicare for all I hope.
Careful what you hope for. I am currently on Medicare and have been for 5 years. Hopefully if Medicare for all does happen, it is better then mine is now. I had to buy a Medicare supplement plan to make it half way usable.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm

Full forgiveness? Agreed.
For anyone that doesn’t do some type of military or government service where you are significantly underpaid.

The others should live with the consequences of taking out 100k plus in debt for their degree that will allow them to be a barista.
Okay boomer.
Serious question: why should military members who never see action and fix planes in a base in Texas (I’m not saying those who see action) get loan forgiveness over say a nurse who gets underpaid, has a ton of school loans and will likely have a 10x greater chance of saving your life than anyone in the military?

I just have always had a little issue with that. Again, I’m not saying those who have seen action
Sure LPNs are underpaid, but RNs sure aren’t. There are so many ways not to become over burdened with debt when going into the medical field as a nurse.
RNs are underpaid, the stuff they deal with, they are underpaid

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:28 pm

My dad was on Medicare before he passed and I have nothing bad to say about it. He bought the Medigap Plan F supplemental ins. which ran about $500 each quarter but he never had to pay a penny through his myriad of illnesses. It's certainly far, far superior to the half-assed plan that I pay $200 a month for.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:45 pm

Medicare for all I hope.
Careful what you hope for. I am currently on Medicare and have been for 5 years. Hopefully if Medicare for all does happen, it is better then mine is now. I had to buy a Medicare supplement plan to make it half way usable.
You should try private insurance.

3k deductible and 200+ month in premiums for me and wife. And this is through a huge company.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:15 pm

Full forgiveness? Agreed.
For anyone that doesn’t do some type of military or government service where you are significantly underpaid.

The others should live with the consequences of taking out 100k plus in debt for their degree that will allow them to be a barista.
Okay boomer.
Serious question: why should military members who never see action and fix planes in a base in Texas (I’m not saying those who see action) get loan forgiveness over say a nurse who gets underpaid, has a ton of school loans and will likely have a 10x greater chance of saving your life than anyone in the military?

I just have always had a little issue with that. Again, I’m not saying those who have seen action
I agree with ulf, but it does seem to always be the vets that never left the Continental 48 that yell the loudest about respecting the veterans.

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:28 pm

My dad was on Medicare before he passed and I have nothing bad to say about it. He bought the Medigap Plan F supplemental ins. which ran about $500 each quarter but he never had to pay a penny through his myriad of illnesses. It's certainly far, far superior to the half-assed plan that I pay $200 a month for.
I pay about $250 a quarter for my supplement. So far I have only paid some small deductibles. But before the supplement, I had to pay a lot more for certain things and some things like teeth and some prescriptions were not covered at all. Hopefully if Medicare for all comes to pass, supplements will not be needed. Not sure how it will be paid for, but it might be good.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

Not sure how it will be paid for, but it might be good.
Lol. That pretty much sums up our current healthcare situation.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Bernie's early life fascinates me. Almost to a rule, every friend or pal he associated with describes him as a neer-do-well grifter that bummed off of friends and never held a steady job through his 30s. Essentially, he was just an agitator from the time he was in college until the time he was somehow elected mayor of Burlington. He hated working and refused to do it.

It's more humorous than anything else. The dude was a stereotypical mooching bum, which makes his message now make a lot more sense.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Since Trump is sooo concerned about corruption, I am sure he will have Barr start an immediate investigation.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:04 pm

Trump's early life fascinates me. Almost to a rule, every friend or pal he associated with describes him as a neer-do-well grifter that bummed off of friends and never held a steady job ever. Essentially, he was just an agitator from the time his dad got him through college until the time he was somehow elected POTUS. He hated working and refused to do it.

It's more humorous than anything else. The dude was a stereotypical mooching bum, which makes his message now make a lot more sense.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:12 pm

as for that crook, sander's
if i had to bet my life that he was or wasnt one of the soviet plants mentioned by shevchenko and golitsyn i'd say he was/is.
russian agitation from the left is just as scurrilous as from the right
and if bernie's the nominee i'm staying home
Last edited by crusherstasiak on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:12 pm

Except that part where Trump lowered taxes and Bernie wants to tax the sht out of us...sure

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:26 pm

Bernie's early life fascinates me. Almost to a rule, every friend or pal he associated with describes him as a neer-do-well grifter that bummed off of friends and never held a steady job through his 30s. Essentially, he was just an agitator from the time he was in college until the time he was somehow elected mayor of Burlington. He hated working and refused to do it.

Not a full picture of his early life, and certainly some added zest to make him seem like a real dadhole... well done.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:19 pm

Since Trump is sooo concerned about corruption, I am sure he will have Barr start an immediate investigation.

This is pretty common for myriads of reasons.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:50 pm

every bit the equal of the orange asshat's cult

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:57 pm

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:54 am

While the way insurance is now is far from ideal, you really honestly believe the government is the best solution?

I don't know how anyone can believe the government wouldn't screw it up.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:19 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:44 am

While the way insurance is now is far from ideal, you really honestly believe the government is the best solution?

I don't know how anyone can believe the government wouldn't screw it up.
Seems to work fine in basically every other country

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:11 am

I always hear complaints about long waits for even common procedures in those countries. Is that overblown?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:15 am

I always hear complaints about long waits for even common procedures in those countries. Is that overblown?
From what I understand the complex procedures that aren’t urgent have backup, like hip and knee replacements. But I don’t know, I mean just ask people in canada or England. When I was in Canada last summer all the people we met scoff at how terrible the us healthcare system is (lots of us expats in that group)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:16 am

I also just saw a chart that the us government as a percentage of gdp already spends what other countries spend for their public healthcare. And then on top of that, we spend that same gdp percentage on private insurance

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:27 am

Which is why the answer is to decouple it from employers and allow the market to set the price.

Imagine the price drop if you are in a pool with 300 million instead of 500.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:42 am

Which is why the answer is to decouple it from employers and allow the market to set the price.

Imagine the price drop if you are in a pool with 300 million instead of 500.
Yes, employers create another level of separation between price and product. Too much focus on insurance industry and not enough on the ridiculous price gouging that the additional layers incentivized

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:43 am

Make land mines great again.