Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:39 pm

You seem to say they’re representative of more than 5% of the population because of who they write for and how employs them. I disagree. They want clicks. They want things that get eyeballs. Fantastic and “edgy” stories do that. But that doesn’t mean that the people who read them or repost them actually agree with them. We’re probably talking past each other here.

Twitter, like anything, is what you make of it. There’s some good info, as you posted above. But none of it can really be a barometer of what people think.
The point is that the articles are read by folks who are not on Twitter.

Twitter is just the means of posting them here due to laziness.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Let's take the Space Force thing as an example. I posted the Rupar dude, because he presents himself, as NP notes, as an intellectual fighting against the toothless hillbilly MAGA voter. He does zero research, shoots off at the mouth, and is shown to be just as boorish as the people he likes to mock. He writes for VOX, which presents itself as an explainer website to help people understand the news, yet it's just a Lefty Brietbart in reality.
Taking this specific example. 99.9% of people have no idea who this guy is. I would say that <95% of people, if they saw this and chose to have an opinion on it, would agree with his thoughts. So, IMO, it is representative of hardly anyone. It is an irrelevant tweet from an irrelevant person. Very different from a link to an actual news article with actual reporting.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 pm

You seem to say they’re representative of more than 5% of the population because of who they write for and how employs them. I disagree. They want clicks. They want things that get eyeballs. Fantastic and “edgy” stories do that. But that doesn’t mean that the people who read them or repost them actually agree with them. We’re probably talking past each other here.

Twitter, like anything, is what you make of it. There’s some good info, as you posted above. But none of it can really be a barometer of what people think.
The point is that the articles are read by folks who are not on Twitter.

Twitter is just the means of posting them here due to laziness.
I don’t know this, but I would guess that more people read that article from people tweeting it than people actually going to the site. Even if not, the same point remains about people who go to those websites for news.... people go there to confirm biases one way or another.

offsides

Postby offsides » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:49 pm

If Twitter would disappear tomorrow the world would be a better place.
I agree by not having a twitter account. I'm just another old guy.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:49 pm

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/ ... st-me-too/
The Amish Keep to Themselves. And They’re Hiding a Horrifying Secret
A year of reporting by Cosmo and Type Investigations reveals a culture of incest, rape, and abuse.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:03 pm

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/ ... st-me-too/
The Amish Keep to Themselves. And They’re Hiding a Horrifying Secret
A year of reporting by Cosmo and Type Investigations reveals a culture of incest, rape, and abuse.
Color me shocked

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Twitter can cause a lot of issues, angst and division. But at the same time it brings news faster than ever before to so many people. And allows a lot of people access to knowledge they maybe wouldn't be able to get quickly otherwise. On top of that if you're so inclined you can maybe even follow accounts with differing views than yours and learn a little bit. I don't know if it's a net negative or not, but like anything a bunch of dummies can ruin it for everyone

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:24 pm

Let's take the Space Force thing as an example. I posted the Rupar dude, because he presents himself, as NP notes, as an intellectual fighting against the toothless hillbilly MAGA voter. He does zero research, shoots off at the mouth, and is shown to be just as boorish as the people he likes to mock. He writes for VOX, which presents itself as an explainer website to help people understand the news, yet it's just a Lefty Brietbart in reality.
Taking this specific example. 99.9% of people have no idea who this guy is. I would say that <95% of people, if they saw this and chose to have an opinion on it, would agree with his thoughts. So, IMO, it is representative of hardly anyone. It is an irrelevant tweet from an irrelevant person. Very different from a link to an actual news article with actual reporting.
:thumb: Well said. Freddy and NP like to bring their twitter conflicts here.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 pm

If Twitter would disappear tomorrow the world would be a better place.
A general rule/behavior of mine when consuming this thread is to give no weight to a post that is simply a tweet without commentary. It doesn't advance the discussion at all. There are a few posters here (and on other forums) that seem like content replicators that could be posting anywhere, providing no original thought or context in many posts. A tweet can be used effectively to enhance an expressed thought; but absent any commentary it's just needless noise. In my opinion.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:35 pm

It's simply more comfortable to post a tweet containing a link to an article than to post just a link to the same article.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm

But that's not really your point.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm

As noted posting a tweet is just laziness on my part.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm

You guys can do what you want, I'm a very small part of the audience. Many posters may enjoy it. I mainly was giving Tony a reason to not wipe Twitter off the planet; it's easy to discount or ignore if it's not substantial in and of itself. I think it can be very persuasive if it comes with a purpose.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:13 pm

See what I mean? Trite.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 pm

:lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm glad we've had this serious moment.

I'm sure we've all learned from it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Here is an example of TDS. Vox is as bad as Brietbart.

I hope somebody shows his the new Navy working uniforms that have been around for the last six or seven years.

I mean, is Rupar's point here that there is no foliage in space so the ground-based servicemen and women should dress in all black with white spots?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:37 pm

I'd posit wearing blue/gray cammo on a ship is even stupider than wearing woodland on the moon, and the Navy has been doing it for over a decade.
Did not see this when I posted, but yes. "Let's make everyone at sea dress like the sea to make man overboard drills more exciting."

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 pm

My son met Tom Steyer today. He was impressed, which is significant, as my 13 year old isn’t impressed by much these days. :lol:

I love Primary Season - it’s the only time Democratic candidates pay attention to our state. :lol:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Who cares what Rupar thinks outside of twitter fans or haters of him? Especially his fashion reviews of military uniforms.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:50 pm

My son met Tom Steyer today. He was impressed, which is significant, as my 13 year old isn’t impressed by much these days. :lol:

I love Primary Season - it’s the only time Democratic candidates pay attention to our state. :lol:
Two of my kids have committed to voting for him based on his non-stop ads.

All of them dislike Bloomberg.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 am

Steyer seems like the biggest phony on the stage to me.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 am

Puerto Rico Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced fired the island's emergency management director on Saturday, after a video showing aid sitting unused in a warehouse went viral on social media. Some of the aid has allegedly been sitting in the warehouse since Hurricane Maria struck in 2017.

"There are thousands of people who have made sacrifices to help those in the south, and it is unforgivable that resources were kept in the warehouse," Vázquez said in a statement.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/puerto ... ssion=true

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 am