Politics And Current Events

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:16 am

So you'd be OK with him (or any other politician) tweeting out a fake photo or manipulated video of an opponent/event in order to gain a political advantage or direct a narrative?
All I'm asking is that people take this into account.

Apparently that is too much to ask.

I don't believe any President should be disseminating faked images through official communications (since Twitter is now considered official).

But nuance is dead so pointing that out makes me crazy.
Last edited by MR25 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:16 am

I mean :lol: legit national news outlets we're chastising Trump for "misrepresentation" and "we caught him in another lie!" Troy called it "just doing their job" and blamed it on Trump. Now it's our fault for mentioning it and not just letting that stupidity slide. :lol:
I’ve only the tweet... which news outlets chastised trump?
All of them. Every. Liberal. News. Outlet.

Again, the people who acknowledge something happened deserve to be mocked. Not the morons who did it or the morons defending it. It only became a big deal because Freddy and I posted about it ITT. Not because National news organizations showed their asses for the 5th time again this week. It's our fault.
So which ones chastised trump?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:19 am

So you'd be OK with him (or any other politician) tweeting out a fake photo or manipulated video of an opponent/event in order to gain a political advantage or direct a narrative?
All I'm asking is that people take this into account.

Apparently that is too much to ask.

I don't believe any President should be disseminating faked images through official communications (since Twitter is now considered official).

But nuance is dead so pointing that out makes me crazy.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 am

My mistake for trying to bring nuance into a discussion with you 3.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 am

I mean :lol: legit national news outlets we're chastising Trump for "misrepresentation" and "we caught him in another lie!" Troy called it "just doing their job" and blamed it on Trump. Now it's our fault for mentioning it and not just letting that stupidity slide. :lol:

Again, the people who acknowledge something happened deserve to be mocked. Not the morons who did it or the morons defending it. It only became a big deal because Freddy and I posted about it ITT. Not because National news organizations showed their asses for the 5th time again this week. It's our fault.
An example

And this hero was at it again

Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am

My mistake for trying to bring nuance into a discussion with you 3.
Just because you keep saying you are trying to be nuanced, doesn’t make your argument not bat **** crazy.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 am

Saying any political figure shouldn't be putting out faked photos/videos on official communications is crazy?
Last edited by MR25 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am

You can say nuance 50 more times and it doesn't make it any less ridiculous. It was a picture (with the watermark of the website that made it) of him putting a fake medal of a paw print around a dogs neck. It wasn't some deep fake video, or people running around with Warren and Bernie masks scaring kids like a Scooby Doo villain.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:26 am

He's tweeted Trump Train memes before too. I'm willing to bet he's never stood on top of a speeding locomotive waving old Glory either. Trying to make us think he's some stunt man.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:27 am

Saying any political figure shouldn't be putting out faked photos/videos on official communications is crazy?

He should have tweeted the real one.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 am

1. No one should give a sht. Trump lies all the time, yes. This, hwoever, is not a "falsehood" or a "lie". There is no intent or desire to mislead the public; its a dang photoshop that Shad probably would have unironically shared in his Toon Town Troops for Trump and Sheetz Supporters FB group.

2. If the tweets Freddy is sharing are the "best" examples of media "chastisement", I expected a helluva a lot more. Explaining what the picture was to the public -- many of whom are absolute morons and may think that he gave the dog a medal -- is fine. It seems those tweets accurately described what happened. He shared an altered picture. I do think that contacting McCloughan is in the hopes he says its offensive to him or he's angry over it. They're chasing a juicy quote and clicks on that front.

3. IMO the dog should get a medal and he is an extremely good boy.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 am

In actual serious things, nuanced or not.

Only one D voted no.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:53 am

This board is a bunch of stupid people’s impressions of what smart people should sound like.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:55 am

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:02 pm

:lol:

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:02 pm

An example

And this hero was at it again

I guess we have different definitions of “chastised.” Those are literally just factual statements.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:04 pm

Jefferson, who constantly ran disinformation and attack campaigns while in Washington's cabinet, who refused to fess up on it publicly, who paid writer's to violate the Sedition Acts and left them out to dry after the fact...That Jefferson?

Don't get me wrong. Great as a founding father, but between him & A-Ham they wrote the American book on twisting half truths into all out lies to try to catch their opponents with their pants down. A- Ham died because he owned up to, Jefferson never did.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Seems like it was the perfect day to have a bunch of meetings in the morning lol.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 pm

Where was this meeting?
It was in a SCIF. The HRC email server is actually rack mounted under that table, and Edward Snowden took the photo.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:27 pm

It's a fake image. Tweeted by the President. The event depicted did not actually happen.

Yes, that is a "lie". A "falsehood".

If we are willing to accept a photoshopped image being tweeted, where do we draw the line? If it's not pointed out, what prevents him from taking other photoshops/fakes further to try to turn a narrative?
I just read the last few pages...lol. I think "Trump Derangement Syndrome" is largely overblown, and it's by the same people that overuse that annoying term "snowflake". That said, I'm convinced after reading MR25's posts over the last few pages that he is a full-blown sufferer of TDS. :lol:

TRUMP DIDN'T REALLY STAND UP ON TOP OF THAT TRAIN. HIM POSTING THAT GIF IS MISLEADING AND WILL MAKE PEOPLE THINK HE REALLY STOOD ON TOP OF A TRAIN.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm

I'm not gonna lose my mind over the dog photo, as it was clearly a derivative work of the original photo. But I will also say I don't think it's particularly useful for the President to use his official blue-check Twitter handle to post memes. But that's an issue that goes very very very far beyond fake pictures of dogs (good boy) being awarded the MOH.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Apparently you missed the part where I said I wasn't comfortable with any politician or President doing it, but you do you.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:42 pm

Where was this meeting?
It was in a SCIF.
Shepherd Controlled Information Facility

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm

Where was this meeting?
It was in a SCIF. The HRC email server is actually rack mounted under that table, and Edward Snowden took the photo.
Fortunately the ethernet was not connected.