Politics And Current Events

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Dem Source on WH meeting:

"POTUS cut Schumer off and said that Gen Mattis was: “the world’s most overrated general. You know why? He wasn’t tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take 2 yrs. I captured them in 1 month”"

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:34 pm

"POTUS cut Schumer off and said that Gen Mattis was: “the world’s most overrated general. You know why? He wasn’t tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take 2 yrs. I captured them in 1 month”"
Ah, yes. The Marine 4-star known as Mad Dog is famous for being such a puss.

TYFYS, POTUS. That must have been some month.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Just wanted to get this on this page too because, well, what can you say?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:42 pm

General Mattis world renowned dodint.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:43 pm

*flex*

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 pm

“We have a situation where Turkey is taking land from Syria. Syria’s not happy about it. Let them work it out,” Trump said. “They have a problem at a border. It’s not our border. We shouldn’t be losing lives over it.”

Completely agree with Trump's decision. The US should never have been in Syria, and it's certainly not our job or responsibility to guard a border between two other countries. Not our business. Now let's get started on withdrawing US troops from every other country.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 pm

You think his reasons line up with yours? Would you make the same call, knowing what would happen next?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:00 pm

You think his reasons line up with yours? Would you make the same call, knowing what would happen next?
Whether we withdraw now, in 10 years, or 20 years, would the outcome be different?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Yes. Not. Our. Business.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:09 pm

And then you abandoned the prisons you kept them in and now they're back. 300 IQ play, dingus.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Whether we withdraw now, in 10 years, or 20 years, would the outcome be different?
If the plan for withdrawal is to just up and leave, saying f*** everyone, I guess not.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:11 pm

If the plan for withdrawal is to just up and leave, saying f*** everyone, I guess not.
Didn’t our “planned” withdrawal from Iraq cause ISIS?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Pretty sure we have a lot of business there

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 pm

So the Russians and Syrians gladly step into the void Trump created to help the Kurds. Lovely.

Michael Savage has been absolutely skewering Trump on the abrupt withdrawal all week. That's the primary reason I like listening to him and can't stand the rest of them. While he is generally a Trump supporter, he sure as hell doesn't hold back.

We fcked the Kurds badly. Assad and Putin are their best friends for the moment and the two of them may actually stabilize the situation over there. What a world.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:16 pm

I'd say rolling in through Kuwait, toppling the government, disbanding their military, and leaving the country in ruins while hanging out for over a decade to keep the building contract money flowing, created ISIS.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 pm

“We have a situation where Turkey is taking land from Syria. Syria’s not happy about it. Let them work it out,” Trump said. “They have a problem at a border. It’s not our border. We shouldn’t be losing lives over it.”

Completely agree with Trump's decision. The US should never have been in Syria, and it's certainly not our job or responsibility to guard a border between two other countries. Not our business. Now let's get started on withdrawing US troops from every other country.
But then he sends troops to Saudi Arabia to guard the oil fields. Hard to believe he had any real reason behind his decision when he turns around and does something like that, literally, hours later.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 pm

But then he sends troops to Saudi Arabia to guard the oil fields. Hard to believe he had any real reason behind his decision when he turns around and does something like that, literally, hours later.
US troops shouldn't be there, either. At least there's less of a chance that any US soldiers will be shot there.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Strictly speaking, the organization that became Daesh/ISIL pre-dated the start of OIF, never mind the draw down. They committed to fighting the US shortly after the invasion, but after a time Zawahiri was like, "you guys are.... a bit much...." and severed al Qaeda connections with the group after they couldn't help themselves from battling other, very slightly less evil, al Qaeda affiliates in Syria.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 pm

US troops shouldn't be there, either. At least there's less of a chance that any US soldiers will be shot there.
Protecting the petrodollar is probably the most vital US foreign policy interest. If oil starts trading in rubles, it's game over...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Pretty sure we have a lot of business there
This was one of the rare foreign incursions that actually appeared to be paying a dividend. To me, the mission was about keeping ISIL at bay with a limited US ground force augmented by air power. The Kurds have done 99% of the fighting (and as much of the dying), and if you look at the list of international terrorist incidents linked to ISIL over the last several years there's a clear trend line. We can argue correlation v causation all day on that, but on balance I think it has been an effective policy.

TBH, I think it presents an interesting counterfactual if you consider if this sort of a battle plan had been how we fought in Afghanistan, instead of a full-scale invasion and occupation. Focus on a small number of SOF units with limited authority for direct action engagements, air power, help the locals learn to fight the warlords themselves. (Of course, that presumes that there were a significant number of locals who actually wanted to fight the Taliban....)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:46 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:54 pm

... wasn't "There might be terrorists" his "out loud" excuse for not allowing refugees?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

MORE: Trump launched diatribe against Dems, saying "I hate ISIS more than you," finished by saying, "SEE YOU AT THE POLLS."

**** me

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Protecting the petrodollar is probably the most vital US foreign policy interest. If oil starts trading in rubles, it's game over...
Oil is more likely to start trading in the renminbi than the ruble. Even more likely would be the replacement of the dollar with a currency basket.