Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Bingo!

I see about 98% of the ones I do when they're posted in this thread.

The other 2% are probably PopeHat replies.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm

How is that news? He communicates via twitter like previous presidents communicated through press releases and press conferences.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Tweets in the context of a larger story are informative supporting evidence. Tweets as a story in and of themselves are sensationalist and lazy.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:34 pm

When the way the president communicates is via tweet, that is the story. The media is actually supposed to report what the president is saying to the country. I guess one could argue that not every tweet is relevant, but they are in that it’s the leader of the country doing it. The only argument I can see against this is the line of, we all know he’s an idiot and should be ignored. I would say it’s not the media’s job to decide that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 pm

I would agree with that if the media weren't a consumer driven for-profit entity. I'm certain you understand the news is not coming at you in a way that is well-considered, balanced, and appropriated filtered.

Tweets have been determined to be official correspondence and as such are published and recorded through easily retrievable channels. The public policy need to sensationalize them does not fill an actual need.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Legit why is this such a talking point? Votes aren’t needed for an impeachment inquiry?
Trump wanted names on record so he, and the Rs, could go on the attack.
Right, but there is no legal precedent that they need to vote. Giving them the vote is ornamental and gives Trump the feeling that he dictated the vote.

Just tired of seeing the “PuT iT tO a VoTE fOr iT tO CoUnT” people.
Republicans would get subpoena power i believe if there was a full vote.
I didn't believe this to be true based on Rs changing rules during Clinton's impeachment. I understood it as the joint leaders can agree to subpeona someone, if not it's outside of the purview of the lead investigator.

Nothing is really stopping them now from playing the theatrical game outside of the inquiry.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:51 pm

I very well could be wrong though, that's for sure.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Certainly, media is out there to make money, and putting out his tweets gets clicks. And I agree that I well formulated story with tweets to support is how it should be. I just don’t think there’s much relevance or meaning to that stat.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:42 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 am

It wasn't rocket science, but seems pretty clear why Trump is fighting to keep the tax returns private. He's been running petty tax fraud for decades.

https://www.propublica.org/article/trum ... sistencies
Documents obtained by ProPublica show stark differences in how Donald Trump’s businesses reported some expenses, profits and occupancy figures for two Manhattan buildings, giving a lender different figures than they provided to New York City tax authorities. The discrepancies made the buildings appear more profitable to the lender — and less profitable to the officials who set the buildings’ property tax.

For instance, Trump told the lender that he took in twice as much rent from one building as he reported to tax authorities during the same year, 2017. He also gave conflicting occupancy figures for one of his signature skyscrapers, located at 40 Wall Street.
ProPublica obtained the property tax documents using New York’s Freedom of Information Law. The documents were public because Trump appealed his property tax bill for the buildings every year for nine years in a row, the extent of the available records. We compared the tax records with loan records that became public when Trump’s lender, Ladder Capital, sold the debt on his properties as part of mortgage-backed securities.

ProPublica reviewed records for four properties: 40 Wall Street, the Trump International Hotel and Tower, 1290 Avenue of the Americas and Trump Tower. Discrepancies involving two of them — 40 Wall Street and the Trump International Hotel and Tower — stood out.

There can be legitimate reasons for numbers to diverge between tax and loan documents, the experts noted, but some of the gaps seemed to have no reasonable justification. “It really feels like there’s two sets of books — it feels like a set of books for the tax guy and a set for the lender,” said Kevin Riordan, a financing expert and real estate professor at Montclair State University who reviewed the records. “It’s hard to argue numbers. That’s black and white.”

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:11 am

Yeah, but that wouldn’t show on his personal taxes would it?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 am

what do you mean by "that"

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 am

Discrepancies in his business dealings. His personal tax records aren't going to show the tax fraud his businesses are participating in.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 am

Discrepancies in his business dealings. His personal tax records aren't going to show the tax fraud his businesses are participating in.
Right, it would be the returns from all the LLC's, which when we're talking about his tax returns, those are included.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 am

Right, it would be the returns from all the LLC's, which when we're talking about his tax returns, those are included.
OK, I thought the lion's share of the fight was just his personal returns, if it's all the LLC's that's a horse of a different color.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:31 am

OK, I thought the lion's share of the fight was just his personal returns, if it's all the LLC's that's a horse of a different color.
I imagine he's the sole proprietor on most of these.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 am

I imagine he's the sole proprietor on most of these.
I would bet against that.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am

I would bet my pitt AND pirate season tickets against that

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anne-saco ... hite-house
Grieving Parents ‘Ambushed’ by Trump, Who Had Teen’s Killer Waiting at White House
The president had hoped to surprise the parents of dead British teen Harry Dunn with a meeting with the woman who killed him—all in front of the media.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 am

Other shell companies?

@slappybrown @MrKennethTKangaroo
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:12 am

Other shell companies?
Trusts, LLCs, other corps, etc etc. There's almost no chance he's a sole proprietor on anything for a variety of reasons, tax reasons, liability insulation, confidentiality, etc etc.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 am

Other shell companies?
Trusts, LLCs, other corps, etc etc. There's almost no chance he's a sole proprietor on anything for a variety of reasons, tax reasons, liability insulation, confidentiality, etc etc.
If these entities have a bank account, the bank has to identify the beneficial owner.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 am

Other shell companies?
Way back during simpler times, I remember looking at Obama's return when he was president. The only sole prop income he had was from his book (Sidebar: Obama made a lot of money from that book).

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 am

Other shell companies?
If these entities have a bank account, the bank has to identify the beneficial owner.
This is layers upon layers before you get to him individually if you ever do such that the bank won't know (whether through intentional or unintentional obfuscation), and moreover, trusts are exempted IIRC.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:24 am

Other shell companies?
This is layers upon layers before you get to him individually if you ever do such that the bank won't know (whether through intentional or unintentional obfuscation), and moreover, trusts are exempted IIRC.
The bank is supposed to identify who has control or authority of the trust account. But right, if he's banking at Deutsche Bank, they fire people for doing actual BSA/AML risk management.

Also, not to derail to an irrelevant topic. I don't think many of us here would be able to, or if able, dedicate the time to, trace all of trump's finances if he were to release his tax returns. I imagine that nothing would be clear to the laymen, but I'm sure that investigative reporters would go through and find the potential misconduct.