Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm

To me, Warren is the only candidate that seems to want to address these aspects of the market system, and why I think she's a better candidate than Bernie.
i thought the trump era would make people understand that the wacky things candidates say during campaigning are simply to illustrate their point of view, and aren't meant to forecast actual policies that will get implemented. unless they finally built that wall without telling me.

under this conceit, warren seems by far the most fit for office out of anyone running. but i suppose the infrastructure improvements and corporate neutering pie in the sky stuff will get in the way. i'm not giving her a pass for that, exactly. i don't agree with much of what she and bernie say. but i'm not concerned about their campaign promises actually leading to anything.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:52 pm

I doubt anyone in the fedgov will really care, and I'm not taking a position on the merits, but I question whether this is actually a whistleblower report. The report cites 50 U.S.C. § 3033(K)(5)(A) and says that it is a report of "A serious or flagrant problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order." But that is not the entirety of the definition of "urgent concern" under § 3033(K)(5)(G). Rather, the full definition reads:
(G) In this paragraph, the term "urgent concern" means any of the following:
(i) A serious or flagrant problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order, or deficiency relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity within the responsibility and authority of the Director of National Intelligence involving classified information, but does not include differences of opinions concerning public policy matters.
(ii) A false statement to Congress, or a willful withholding from Congress, on an issue of material fact relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity.
(iii) An action, including a personnel action described in section 2302(a)(2)(A) of title 5, constituting reprisal or threat of reprisal prohibited under subsection (g)(3)(B) of this section in response to an employee's reporting an urgent concern in accordance with this paragraph.
My reading of this definition, which is bolstered by subsection (ii), is that the phase "relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity within the responsibility and authority of the Director of National Intelligence involving classified information" applies to everything preceding that phrase. Thus, the "problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order" must be one that relates to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity. I question whether an allegation that the president was soliciting election support or election interference from a foreign county is something that relates to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity. I ran some searches, but I don't see any caselaw interpreting this statute.

There might be some other more general whistleblower law that may also apply, but it would be incongruous for a statute that deals entirely with national intelligence and is in a chapter of the US Code dealing entirely with national intelligence would contain a reporting mechanism that would allow the reporting of any sort of "problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order" to the Office of the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:55 pm

I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this, Shyster, but don't you think that people familiar with and deal with that type of law daily/regularly would have already come out with that analysis?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:59 pm

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm

I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this, Shyster, but don't you think that people familiar with and deal with that type of law daily/regularly would have already come out with that analysis?
i thought schiff and the intelligence director spent an eternity on this today - with the semantic debate of the term "urgent".

i don't understand the practical impact, though. does it afford the whistleblower fewer protections if he's not technically a legit whistle blower? or is this like a, "ha! gotcha. no impeachment because of this technicality!" thing.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Maybe Tif can enlighten us... :slug:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm

i thought schiff and the intelligence director spent an eternity on this today - with the semantic debate of the term "urgent".

i don't understand the practical impact, though. does it afford the whistleblower fewer protections if he's not technically a legit whistle blower? or is this like a, "ha! gotcha. no impeachment because of this technicality!" thing.
My guess would be protections.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:31 pm

The whistleblower statute affords protections against retaliatory things like having them reassigned to a different job/demoted, having their security clearance stripped, outright termination, etc.

Also, from the DNI website, here is the IG's bio:
...Mr. Atkinson worked for the U.S. Department of Justice for over fifteen years. He worked as a Trial Attorney in DOJ’s Criminal Division, Fraud Section, from 2002 through 2006. He then served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Columbia from 2006 through 2016, where he was the Acting Chief and Deputy Chief of the Fraud and Public Corruption Section. In 2012, he was awarded the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service for his work on a significant public corruption case. Thereafter, he served in DOJ’s National Security Division as the Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General for National Asset Protection and as Senior Counsel to the Assistant Attorney General.
I think he's got a good grasp on the law.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm

I doubt anyone in the fedgov will really care, and I'm not taking a position on the merits, but I question whether this is actually a whistleblower report. The report cites 50 U.S.C. § 3033(K)(5)(A) and says that it is a report of "A serious or flagrant problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order." But that is not the entirety of the definition of "urgent concern" under § 3033(K)(5)(G). Rather, the full definition reads:
(i) A serious or flagrant problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order, or deficiency relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity within the responsibility and authority of the Director of National Intelligence involving classified information, but does not include differences of opinions concerning public policy matters.
(ii) A false statement to Congress, or a willful withholding from Congress, on an issue of material fact relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity.
(iii) An action, including a personnel action described in section 2302(a)(2)(A) of title 5, constituting reprisal or threat of reprisal prohibited under subsection (g)(3)(B) of this section in response to an employee's reporting an urgent concern in accordance with this paragraph.
My reading of this definition, which is bolstered by subsection (ii), is that the phase "relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity within the responsibility and authority of the Director of National Intelligence involving classified information" applies to everything preceding that phrase. Thus, the "problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order" must be one that relates to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity. I question whether an allegation that the president was soliciting election support or election interference from a foreign county is something that relates to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity. I ran some searches, but I don't see any caselaw interpreting this statute.

There might be some other more general whistleblower law that may also apply, but it would be incongruous for a statute that deals entirely with national intelligence and is in a chapter of the US Code dealing entirely with national intelligence would contain a reporting mechanism that would allow the reporting of any sort of "problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order" to the Office of the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community.
"...any of the following"

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 pm

The sitting president is making veiled threats to the safety of this person. Maybe the definition of “whistle blower” needs recalibrated to account for this situation.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Fair point, but is there ongoing activity to monitor election interference, and wouldn't an agent of the US gov't getting involved in those efforts hinder the IC's ability to secure those elections/monitor the interfering activity? In fact, when I think about it this way, the WB could almost be entirely predicated on the WH trying to move the conversation to the word level server.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:52 pm

TIL Hunter Biden is a candidates "child"

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Oh dear.
DT Jr, Jared, Ivanka were all fair game.

Although, at some point can we all agree that Hunter is a screw up? Even reading that thread I can’t squint hard enough to find any relevance.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:07 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:07 pm

dt, Jared, and Ivanka were also front-and-center campaigning for their dad on a daily basis.

Also, I'm way more weirded out that Hunter dated Beau's widow.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Add referring to a grown ass adult as someone’s child to the long list of things that infuriate me.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:12 pm

"...any of the following"
No, that merely refers to i, ii or iii. The problem with Shyster's reading is the 'or' that precedes deficiency.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Was this covered in here?

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham confirmed Monday daily press briefings will not be reinstated under her leadership, citing the behavior of journalists who “weren’t being good to” President Trump’s administration.

During an appearance on “Fox & Friends,” Ms. Grisham said briefings would not be returning “right now” and wouldn’t come back unless the president felt they were necessary.

“He’s doing just fine,” she said, “And to be honest, the briefings have become a lot of theater, and I think a lot of reporters were doing it to get famous. They’re writing books now, they’re all getting famous off of this presidency.”

“They weren’t being good to his people,” Ms. Grisham continued. “[Mr. Trump] doesn’t like that. He is very loyal to his people and he put a stop to it.”

Members of the White House press corps have gone 195 days without an official press briefing.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... returning/

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm

If there is never a WH briefing again, no one will lose out.

It's an outdated process that is just a chance for "reporters" to get screen time.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:37 pm

People the obvious lunacy..... Loyal to his people? He’s fired every position like at least three times. Everyone is a nameless gray face mercenary to him.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 pm

To the above, none of the comments are out of the ordinary.

This is fun. #itshappening

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:41 pm

It's an outdated process that is just a chance for "reporters" to get screen time.

Yeah, that's all it is, sure.

The idea that Dear Leader's lackeys might actually have to answer to the people is downright archaic...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Yeah, that's all it is, sure.

The idea that Dear Leader's lackeys might actually have to answer to the people is downright archaic...
You're right. No one has had to answer for anything and we haven't heard a word from anyone in those 6 months of whatever. Total silence.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:51 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/26/us/adl-n ... index.html
'OK' is now a hate symbol, the ADL says

Also added to their new list of hate symbols -- Dylan Roof's bowlcut
I thought the bowl cut thing was a joke.