Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm

All politicians are bad, why would anyone care that Trump thinks the whistleblower should be killed for treason.

Media: "ZOMG did you hear Trump say he wants the whistleblower murdered?!?"
Also media: "Here's some specific clues as to who it may be."

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/experts-criticiz ... 45264.html

In case there was any confusion about them transferring the information to the other computer system.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:05 pm

The president of my country tacitly encouraging violence towards this whistleblower affects me, even though I'm not involved.

The president of my country tacitly encouraging violence towards immigrants affects me. Even though I'm not one of the hispanics who was actually hunted down by a Trump supporter.

The president of my country tacitly encouraging violence against Hillary Clinton affects me, even though I despise her and her family.

It's a big deal. Not at all normal. Not at all the job description. Sorry...things matter.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm

In case there was any confusion about them transferring the information to the other computer system.
"but her emails" isn't an apt analogy, since he was keeping the data in a secured environment and not a home server. but obviously the point here was to make the data inaccessible to interested parties in a fashion not in accordance with protocol.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 pm

"but her emails" isn't an apt analogy, since he was keeping the data in a secured environment and not a home server. but obviously the point here was to make the data inaccessible to interested parties in a fashion not in accordance with protocol.
Right. It's not a "but her emails", but this, like everything, was downplayed this morning, as some sort of BAU.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:09 pm

the funniest part is Trump saying he can't pass gun regulations because of what the Ds are doing with this witch hunt.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 pm

“It is impossible that the whistle-blower is a hero and I’m not. And I will be the hero! These morons—when this is over, I will be the hero,” Giuliani told me.

“I’m not acting as a lawyer. I’m acting as someone who has devoted most of his life to straightening out government,” he continued, sounding out of breath. “Anything I did should be praised.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... en/598879/

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Gotta respect a straight shooter I guess.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:31 pm

The president of my country tacitly encouraging violence towards this whistleblower affects me, even though I'm not involved.

The president of my country tacitly encouraging violence towards immigrants affects me. Even though I'm not one of the hispanics who was actually hunted down by a Trump supporter.

The president of my country tacitly encouraging violence against Hillary Clinton affects me, even though I despise her and her family.

It's a big deal. Not at all normal. Not at all the job description. Sorry...things matter.

You are not a serious person as evidenced by your MAGA Revolution fan fic yesterday, but I'm curious how Trump's constant reverse psychology secret coded wink-wink language that we're told he uses to get supportors to commit violence stacks up against rhetoric that gets softball games shot up, or ICE officers shot at, or people beat up for wearing certain clothes because politicians go on tv calling them Nazi's and the biggest threat to society?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:36 pm

the funniest part is Trump saying he can't pass gun regulations because of what the Ds are doing with this witch hunt.
Due to the number of times he said this, I would wager he dangled this to get Pelosi to drop the impeachment discussion.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:36 pm

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:54 pm

witness intimidation...notabigdeal

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

How crazy is it, that someone had the balls to record and leak that clip.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-pric ... 000-raise/

Ingenious, paying workers more is good.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Companies deciding to do it themselves is good. Forcing companies to comply isn’t.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Companies deciding to do it themselves is good. Forcing companies to comply isn’t.
And telling companies that their only obligation is to maximize shareholder return is also bad.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm

And telling companies that their only obligation is to maximize shareholder return is also bad.
Correct.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:05 pm

And hopefully the tide is shifting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... ctive.html

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Correct.
I would also agree that no one should be forcing companies to reallocate their payroll. I do, though, think that the tax code should written in a way that changes the incentives are executive vs worker pay. The idea that executives pay is dictated by the value generated is farcical. Those decisions are made by the people that control the coffers.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Correct.
I would also agree that no one should be forcing companies to reallocate their payroll. I do, though, think that the tax code should written in a way that changes the incentives are executive vs worker pay. The idea that executives pay is dictated by the value generated is farcical. Those decisions are made by the people that control the coffers.
Incentives always work better than penalties.

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Government runs up $22T+ in debt, but let’s punish job-creating companies via the tax code and send even more to the treasury for them to piss away, the fine stewards of money that they are!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Correct.
I would also agree that no one should be forcing companies to reallocate their payroll. I do, though, think that the tax code should written in a way that changes the incentives around executive vs worker pay. The idea that executives pay is dictated by the value generated is farcical. Those decisions are made by the people that control the coffers.
Yes. The idea isn't to address inequality through government facilitated redistribution. But to address the kinks in the capitalist system that favors capital ownership vs labor.

To me, Warren is the only candidate that seems to want to address these aspects of the market system, and why I think she's a better candidate than Bernie.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm

Government runs up $22T+ in debt, but let’s punish job-creating companies via the tax code and send even more to the treasury for them to piss away, the fine stewards of money that they are!
I also get all my information from Glenn Beck books.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:23 pm

Correct.
I would also agree that no one should be forcing companies to reallocate their payroll. I do, though, think that the tax code should written in a way that changes the incentives around executive vs worker pay. The idea that executives pay is dictated by the value generated is farcical. Those decisions are made by the people that control the coffers.
Yes. The idea isn't to address inequality through government facilitated redistribution. But to address the kinks in the capitalist system that favors capital ownership vs labor.

To me, Warren is the only candidate that seems to want to address these aspects of the market system, and why I think she's a better candidate than Bernie.
Her type of profit taxing and redistribution would hurt company investment and actually de-incentivize companies to pay their workers. Our retirement systems would be utterly useless to the average person.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Depends on the state. The "maximize shareholder value" obligation is hardly universal. For example, the Pennsylvania BCL in 15 Pa.C.S. § 1715(a) says in regard to the fiduciary duties of corporate directors:
(a) General rule.--In discharging the duties of their respective positions, the board of directors, committees of the board and individual directors of a business corporation may, in considering the best interests of the corporation, consider to the extent they deem appropriate:
(1) The effects of any action upon any or all groups affected by such action, including shareholders, employees, suppliers, customers and creditors of the corporation, and upon communities in which offices or other establishments of the corporation are located.
(2) The short-term and long-term interests of the corporation, including benefits that may accrue to the corporation from its long-term plans and the possibility that these interests may be best served by the continued independence of the corporation.
(3) The resources, intent and conduct (past, stated and potential) of any person seeking to acquire control of the corporation.
(4) All other pertinent factors.

(b) Consideration of interests and factors.--The board of directors, committees of the board and individual directors shall not be required, in considering the best interests of the corporation or the effects of any action, to regard any corporate interest or the interests of any particular group affected by such action as a dominant or controlling interest or factor. The consideration of interests and factors in the manner described in this subsection and in subsection (a) shall not constitute a violation of section 1712 (relating to standard of care and justifiable reliance).

This has been Pennsylvania corporate law for nearly 30 years. Pennsylvania corporations absolutely do not have to maximize shareholder value, and they can equally consider their employees, customers, and communities.