shmenguin

Politics And Current Events

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:00 pm

The most dubious part of that tirade was calling guliani “highly respected”

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Interesting movements on Betfair over the last 2 days:

Trump election probability declined slightly, Biden's declined majorly, and Warren's increased substantially.

Out of the 3 Democratic front runners, Biden is now the only one with below 50% chance at winning Presidency conditional on winning the Primaries. Warren - who had the "below 50%" problem until recently - is has now moved to 50+% range (54% right now).

https://electionbettingodds.com/week.html

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 pm

here's a thing that i don't think will happen, but i admit i'm somewhat worried about. i don't think about it much, but it creeps in every now and then.

if the senate starts to turn on him. if there are indications that there are prosecutors around the country getting their steak knives ready for when he's a civilian again. if he actually feels like his power is threatened, and he and his family could be in serious trouble when his time in office ends...this guy could get on TV with a captive audience and continue to talk about witch hunts and conspiracies. and then he closes with, "my loyal supporters out there. you know who you are. look at what's happening to our country. we're living in a world where nancy pelosi, hillary and AOC can decide to steal power from one of the most popular and successful leaders of all time. you deserve better and it's time to do something. i promise you, as president, that you will not be in danger. that you will not be arrested or harmed by the state. you are allowed to exercise your constitutional rights, so get out there and take this country back!"

...i don't think this is actually that far fetched. i don't know exactly what step 2 is here, but he knows he has the power to ramp this up and get a response. and if all he cares about is himself and his empire, i don't know why he wouldn't ramp away.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm

The Spiro Agnew model might be prescriptive here.

Ted

Postby Ted » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:20 pm

You must lose a lot of sleep with the paranoia that runs through you.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:28 pm

here's a thing that i don't think will happen, but i admit i'm somewhat worried about. i don't think about it much, but it creeps in every now and then.

if the senate starts to turn on him. if there are indications that there are prosecutors around the country getting their steak knives ready for when he's a civilian again. if he actually feels like his power is threatened, and he and his family could be in serious trouble when his time in office ends...this guy could get on TV with a captive audience and continue to talk about witch hunts and conspiracies. and then he closes with, "my loyal supporters out there. you know who you are. look at what's happening to our country. we're living in a world where nancy pelosi, hillary and AOC can decide to steal power from one of the most popular and successful leaders of all time. you deserve better and it's time to do something. i promise you, as president, that you will not be in danger. that you will not be arrested or harmed by the state. you are allowed to exercise your constitutional rights, so get out there and take this country back!"

...i don't think this is actually that far fetched. i don't know exactly what step 2 is here, but he knows he has the power to ramp this up and get a response. and if all he cares about is himself and his empire, i don't know why he wouldn't ramp away.
Lay off the peyote.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm

dude

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:34 pm

You must lose a lot of sleep with the paranoia that runs through you.
the peyote helps

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Didn't Trump say they agreed to it? I swore he did.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:03 pm

It was right there

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:26 pm

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:34 pm

We were on a break!

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 pm

R Senator Ben Sasse, speaking to reporters upon leaving a secure room for senators to read the complaint, added that "Republicans ought not just circle the wagons" to protect Trump

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 pm

R Senator Ben Sasse, speaking to reporters upon leaving a secure room for senators to read the complaint, added that "Republicans ought not just circle the wagons" to protect Trump
His full quote says everyone needs to pump the breaks. Cherry picking a quote doesn’t help.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:01 pm

His full quote says everyone needs to pump the breaks. Cherry picking a quote doesn’t help.
Full quote really isn’t any better. Dems aren’t impeaching yet, and he’s suggesting they don’t go full bore.
“Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons to say there’s no there there when there’s obviously lots that’s very troubling there,” Sasse said after reviewing the complaint, according to an NBC News reporter. “The administration ought not be attacking the whistleblower as some talking points suggest they plan to do.”

However, Sasse also castigated the media and House Democrats, who have announced an impeachment inquiry based on the whistleblower complaint, saying, “Democrats ought not to be using the word impeach before they have the whistleblower complaint or before they read any of the transcript.”

“The media humbly should not pretend that this story is about something that’s going to be resolved in the next two hours,” he added. “Done right with lots of deliberation, this is going to take a lot of time, but there’s obviously some really troubling things here.”
There’s enough there for a republican to be outright concerned.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Also:
An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said “it was clear” to Ukrainian officials that President Trump would communicate with them only if they agreed to discuss former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter Biden, according to ABC News.

"It was clear that Trump will only have communications if they will discuss the Biden case," Zelensky advisor Serhiy Leshchenko, an anti-corruption advocate and former member of Ukraine's parliament, told the outlet. "This issue was raised many times. I know that Ukrainian officials understood."
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -condition

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Also:
An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said “it was clear” to Ukrainian officials that President Trump would communicate with them only if they agreed to discuss former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter Biden, according to ABC News.

"It was clear that Trump will only have communications if they will discuss the Biden case," Zelensky advisor Serhiy Leshchenko, an anti-corruption advocate and former member of Ukraine's parliament, told the outlet. "This issue was raised many times. I know that Ukrainian officials understood."
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -condition
So the advisor to the president of Ukraine just went against what the Ukraine president said today?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Maybe?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:35 pm

The dude is also tied in with Manafort, so wonder if he has something going on.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:52 pm

The dude is also tied in with Manafort, so wonder if he has something going on.
He is also been charged with breaking the law in the Ukraine and was a source for Fusion GPS and the DNC.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 pm

:lol:

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 pm

I’m not sure I’d trust too many sources out of Ukraine without receipts. It’s near impossible to tell the good guys from the bad.