Politics And Current Events

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:36 am

Because cigarettes don't come in mango flavor to entice kids.

(at least, I don't think they do.)
Regular cigarettes and chew didn't stop 25 to 50 percent of kids in my high school from using...
I don’t remember regular cigarettes killing people or giving them lungs of 70 year olds in under two years of smoking.
6 out of how many millions. Maybe don't use black market vapes...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 am

No, No, it isn't.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:32 am

Looks more like a dick heading for the ass.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:33 am

https://www.mediamatters.org/stuart-var ... d-societal

Sounds Good!
Then, more importantly, there is her Accountable Capitalism Act. And this is a real threat to everybody's money. Sen. Warren would force all big companies to take a lot of their profit away from shareholders. And it would be given to — the workforce, the community, customers, the local and global environment — and community and societal factors, whatever that is.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 am

+1

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:40 am

:scared:

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:52 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Maxciel Pereira dos Santos was shot twice in the head in front of his family in an apparent execution, according to a union that represents such workers.

Mr Santos had spent more than 12 years working for Funai, the National Indian Foundation, which is a Brazilian government body that defends the interests of indigenous people.

He was reportedly shot while riding a motorbike down a main street of Tabatinga, located deep in the Amazon rainforest on Brazil’s border with Colombia and Peru.
Yowza

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Maxciel Pereira dos Santos was shot twice in the head in front of his family in an apparent execution, according to a union that represents such workers.

Mr Santos had spent more than 12 years working for Funai, the National Indian Foundation, which is a Brazilian government body that defends the interests of indigenous people.

He was reportedly shot while riding a motorbike down a main street of Tabatinga, located deep in the Amazon rainforest on Brazil’s border with Colombia and Peru.
Yowza
The wild effin west.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:19 pm

Bolsanaro is a thug.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm

https://www.mediamatters.org/stuart-var ... d-societal

Sounds Good!
Then, more importantly, there is her Accountable Capitalism Act. And this is a real threat to everybody's money. Sen. Warren would force all big companies to take a lot of their profit away from shareholders. And it would be given to — the workforce, the community, customers, the local and global environment — and community and societal factors, whatever that is.
What a **** ing stupid idea.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Confirmed.

Good idea.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 pm

So actually someone who has no idea about economics and stuff, why actually is that a bad idea? CoL goes up, and raises haven't followed suit.

Can you give me the dumbed-down version of why it's a bad idea? What we have now, doesn't really seem that great either?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Confirmed.

Good idea.
Yep. If you want our economy to tank.

Why would you want to punish investment? What goes through someone’s head that makes them believe that is a smart thing to do?

Incentivize investment and incentivize companies to give to those areas. Forcefully taking it away will only bring negative consequences.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 pm

So actually someone who has no idea about economics and stuff, why actually is that a bad idea? CoL goes up, and raises haven't followed suit.

Can you give me the dumbed-down version of why it's a bad idea? What we have now, doesn't really seem that great either?
Government mandates that interfere with business decisions are not good. I think the rules have to be industry specific. There are a lot of markets that don't operate in the traditional supply/demand framework that undergirds the market/libertarian ethos. I have no idea how this plan would deal with companies that are gaming the markets versus companies that actually exist in a functioning market.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I’d rather give tax breaks to companies for having an average wage(excluding executive pay) above a certain level. The tax break becomes higher and higher as you exceed it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Confirmed.

Good idea.

Why would you want to punish investment? What goes through someone’s head that makes them believe that is a smart thing to do?

Incentivize investment and incentivize companies to give to those areas. Forcefully taking it away will only bring negative consequences.
investment in what? Companies are parking trillions of dollars overseas because there's nothing to invest in.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:50 pm

I’d rather give tax breaks to companies for having an average wage(excluding executive pay) above a certain level. The tax break becomes higher and higher as you exceed it.
So we'll drive more companies to automation, because the three techs that maintain the machine are going to make the same amount as the ten people that were actually laboring to perform assembly. Average wage increases, more people unemployed, company keeps more cash to hand out to their shareholders.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 pm

I think I would base it more on the ratios between the executives and workers pay versus a flat wage amount.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm

It's the old vinegar/honey principle applied to business.

Better to incentivise companies to "pay better" than punish for not doing x.

People who think spanking is retrograde using the same concept on businesses that don't act right.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Confirmed.

Good idea.

investment in what? Companies are parking trillions of dollars overseas because there's nothing to invest in.
Almost 1 trillion dollars has been repatriated since the tax law passed. Corporations were thought to have around 2.5 trillion held overseas.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:01 pm

I am for businesses to participate in local, societal causes...there isn't really a culture to do that currently installed...

But beyond the notion that this cost would just be passed on to customers, and therefore is just a backward way of spending the customers' money on their own wages and community...this also sounds like an indictment of a government who is too inept to properly use a figure that's, what, 7x or 8x that of the largest company in the world and that's not including state and local revenue...? Sounds like something a career academic/politician would come up with for private companies...

If it's up to businesses to fund community initiatives, we can really dump a ton of lost tax dollars back into the hands they were swiped from...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Confirmed.

Good idea.

Almost 1 trillion dollars has been repatriated since the tax law passed. Corporations were thought to have around 2.5 trillion held overseas.
Isn't that just corporate balance sheet cash though?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-offs ... 3U20120722

I was thinking more of this stash as the type of capital that is not being used to invest in the market place.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 pm

So we'll drive more companies to automation, because the three techs that maintain the machine are going to make the same amount as the ten people that were actually laboring to perform assembly. Average wage increases, more people unemployed, company keeps more cash to hand out to their shareholders.
Umm... how would giving corporations a tax break for possibly raising wages, cause them to massively increase automation?

Companies just can’t automate everything. Sure you could lose the jobs that are already being automated faster, but it wouldn’t be a massive issue.

You can counter some layoffs by giving tax penalties if you are still operating at a significant profit percentage.