Politics And Current Events

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:35 am

And?

"Comedian who hosts comedy sketch travel show visits country that is in the news"

Wow, now it's framed like that, I can totally see how it fits into the anti-Trump, anti-Right, TDS narrative. Thanks for educating me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:35 am

Classic case of Tomas Derangement Syndrome

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:37 am

What about requiring gun insurance in the same vein as car insurance?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:49 am

And?

"Comedian who hosts comedy sketch travel show visits country that is in the news"

Wow, now it's framed like that, I can totally see how it fits into the anti-Trump, anti-Right, TDS narrative. Thanks for educating me.
In what other scenario do you see him doing that without Trump making the shtthole remark?

Did I stumble in a different thread, or did we decide just this morning, that this is the one thing on planet Earth that isn't directly affected by something Trump said? Cuz that would be a complete 180 from the past 3 years.

Once again: Conan without borders: Greenland" (which follows Mexico and Haiti, also inspired by Trump's statements/actions)."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52 am

What about requiring gun insurance in the same vein as car insurance?
My former stance on this involved making gun ownership an extremely unwieldy process to discourage adoption. I don't really care how this is impacted by the constitution or what people claim to be a "fundamental" right, but the issue here is that there are people who have an actual need for a firearm and also don't have the money to devote to heavy fees.

for any semi-automatic weapon (including ubiquitous handguns), i would absolutely advocate for new fees + taxes and a ton of overhead that would be a complete pain in the ass, however.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am

it's hard [if not impossible] to enforce in a way that's amenable to firearm enthusiasts.
Have you ever conducted a transaction with a private party online?

I don't disagree that private party transfers should be subject to checks, but I think there needs to be a real temperature check as to implementation v impact. (That latter statement applies generally to most gun control measures that are frequently discussed.) What do you think is going to be the real impact on gun crime of implementing this change?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:35 am

Did I stumble in a different thread, or did we decide just this morning, that this is the one thing on planet Earth that isn't directly affected by something Trump said? Cuz that would be a complete 180 from the past 3 years.

There's a difference between Conan going somewhere because it's in the news because of something Trump/said did and mining it for a couple jokes, and Conan being part of some TDS driven conspiracy to bring down the President.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm

it's hard [if not impossible] to enforce in a way that's amenable to firearm enthusiasts.
Have you ever conducted a transaction with a private party online?

I don't disagree that private party transfers should be subject to checks, but I think there needs to be a real temperature check as to implementation v impact. (That latter statement applies generally to most gun control measures that are frequently discussed.) What do you think is going to be the real impact on gun crime of implementing this change?
I forget the exact statistics (google tif will let us know) but something like 70% of homicides are committed with an already illegal firearm (smash and grab, straw sale, etc...) and a large majority of the rest of that percentage are domestic incidents.

So what actual effect is the goal of these laws?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Also worth noting that you do not need to do anything to own a car. The registration/insurance part happens when you want to take it on public roadways. Lots of cars are converted to race cars and are no longer even titled.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Not to mention farm use, etc...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:16 pm

There's a difference between Conan going somewhere because it's in the news because of something Trump/said did and mining it for a couple jokes, and Conan being part of some TDS driven conspiracy to bring down the President.

Alright. Altho I never took it that far just said it's stupid that people do these things thinking they're somehow dunking on Trump now can I please get out of this conversationnnnn

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 pm

I honestly know nothing about Greenland other than its cold. I’m intrigued to find out more.

Of course we could go back to NP’s top entertainment choice: watching protestors get run over by trucks.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 pm

This Joe Walsh boostering by the formerly in power TDS GOP people like Bill Kristol is the most bizarre thing I've seen.

Joe Walsh was a birther congressman from Illinois who got chased out of office for being a putz, but because he's anti-Trump all is forgiven and these maroons from the Weekly Standard collapse want him to run against Trump.

The establishment GOP is moronic.*

* - evergreen statement

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Just caught up....

Not sure why I did

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:31 pm

And even conceding those points by Freddy and dodint, the vast majority (something like 85%+) of handguns that are legally acquired that end up being used in a crime aren't so used until something like 10 years after purchase (as an average), and almost never by the person who legally bought the gun. Putting up hurdles for people to legally acquire guns manifestly will not impact their use in crime, because the people that use guns to commit crimes are not going to a FFL and filling out their 4473 (which includes their "come here to arrest me" address) and submitting their identity for a background check and waiting ten days and all the other rigmarole.

There are steps that can (and in some cases should) be taken to curtail gun violence. I'm in favor of universal background checks and fixing NICS (acknowledging it's more of a gestural thing), red flag laws (with necessary abuse deterrents), and federal licensure (provided that includes 50-state CCW; I know this one is a big sticky goo goo no-no for 99.9% of 2A truthers), and coming down hard on FFLs that are clearly engaging in knowing straw sales. I'm not in favor of background checks for ammo purchases, or for waiting periods longer than 2-3 days, or 'deemed approved' background checks.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:32 pm

I honestly know nothing about Greenland other than its cold. I’m intrigued to find out more.
It has a shark species named after it. So there's that.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Of course we could go back to NP’s top entertainment choice: watching protestors get run over by trucks.

Over there you mow em down with dog sleds

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:48 pm

It has a shark species named after it. So there's that.
Sharks that live hundreds of years!

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Wonder what the carbon footprint is on a place like that? :pop: :slug:
Obamas are buying a Martha's Vineyard estate from Boston Celtics owner
https://mol.im/a/7383281

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:18 pm

They have a high suicide rate.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:24 pm

It's not actually green.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Next you're going to tell me Iceland isn't covered in ice...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:26 pm

They have a high suicide rate.
Norway too, right? Seems like living in a place where the sun coming out is optional is a problem.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Next you're going to tell me Iceland isn't covered in ice...

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Rents went on a trip to Ice/Greenland. They loved it. I believe where they were just got their first Michelin rated restaurant as well. I'm looking forward to the day when I can travel to specific places based on Michelin rated eats. For the time being, featured on diners, drive ins and dives will be just fine.