Politics And Current Events

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Say what you want about Trump, but he has already inspired 3 installments of the best travel show out there. TIL that there will soon be "Conan without borders: Greenland" (which follows Mexico and Haiti, also inspired by Trump's statements/actions).

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Huh. I've never looked it up, but TIL that birthright citizenship is very much a New World thing. Just about every country in North and South America has "jus soli" citizenship, and hardly any countries anywhere else do. The only countries in Europe that offer birthright citizenship are Luxembourg and Azerbaijan.*

Whether Azerbaijan is in Europe or Asia or both is something open to debate.
Yup, most European countries don't have that policy because it is patently stupid. Birthright tourism is literally a thing. Not an invented right wing thing, but actual travel packages in nice American hotels where you will be invited to give birth.
Prior to the Maastricht Treaty and the establishment of the EU, many of the member states did grant birthright citizenship, and the fairly rapid change was something of an outgrowth of the freedom-of-movement laws of the Union. (It's a slightly different concept when talking about movement between, say, Ohio and Pennsylvania, than between Spain and France.) It is also a different concept for a country with one international border at the top and one at (half of) the bottom and thousands of miles of ocean on either side, and a European nation that might literally be landlocked by multiple borders with several different nations.

And I believe a fair number of EU nations offer some modified version of jus soli citizenship where those born to non-citizens but within the political territory can apply for citizenship after, like, 1 year (their parents petition on the child's behalf, I guess), or if they were born there and then live in the country for X number of consecutive years they become a citizen. It's not just a blanket refusal of jus soli.

(Gauchinator and Tomas, please feel free to correct)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:18 am

Local journalist discovers it's not easier to buy guns than feminine hygiene products and books.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 am

Well duh...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 am

Say what you want about Trump, but he has already inspired 3 installments of the best travel show out there. TIL that there will soon be "Conan without borders: Greenland" (which follows Mexico and Haiti, also inspired by Trump's statements/actions).

All he has to do is look cross eyed at a place on the map and Conan hops on a plane to own(?) Trump. Yeah people's brains aren't broken or anything.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 am

I get very annoyed at the people that say the "fun show" loophole. Every single gun I've purchased at a show requires a background check.

Secondarily with how easy it is to get a gun, at a place like Walmart. Background checks are still completed there, but if you can't fill out the form properly, and you can't pass - you're not getting the gun.

IMO, the form/process for purchasing could use updated, as there are so many ways one could just lie if they have a clean record.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am

I get very annoyed at the people that say the "fun show" loophole. Every single gun I've purchased at a show requires a background check.

Secondarily with how easy it is to get a gun, at a place like Walmart. Background checks are still completed there, but if you can't fill out the form properly, and you can't pass - you're not getting the gun.

IMO, the form/process for purchasing could use updated, as there are so many ways one could just lie if they have a clean record.
the gun show loophole isn't about gun shows. it's about undocumented private exchanges, and how we rely on the honor system for something that should be centrally tracked and regulated.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 am

All he has to do is look cross eyed at a place on the map and Conan hops on a plane to own(?) Trump. Yeah people's brains aren't broken or anything.
he is an individual who openly invites ridicule. so when that ridicule actually happens...it's a sign of a broken brain?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 am

the gun show loophole isn't about gun shows. it's about undocumented private exchanges, and how we rely on the honor system for something that should be centrally tracked and regulated.
This would be very hard to enforce.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 am

This would be very hard to enforce.
it's hard to enforce in a way that's amenable to firearm enthusiasts and unambiguously inline with the constitution. i don't think the logistics are that difficult in a vacuum.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 am

I think it's probably incredibly hard for older rifles that were often non-background checked when they were just rifle and shotgun sales. Current weapons, sure - maybe, but that's not a gun show loophole, that's just a private sale loophole.

When I go to gun-shows, all I see are private sellers trying to dump over-priced hunting rifles. There isn't some mysterious van outside selling unaccounted for weapons.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:38 am

but that's not a gun show loophole, that's just a private sale loophole.
it's not that different from the terminology blunders like "assault rifle" as opposed to "semi-automatic rifle". not sure it matters, but activists would be better served to understand what amounts to a fairly simple landscape

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 am

[quote=NailedPenguin post_id=711219 time=<a href="tel:1566477992">1566477992</a> user_id=100]
[quote=Tomas post_id=711173 time=<a href="tel:1566440904">1566440904</a> user_id=189]

[/quote]

he is an individual who openly invites ridicule. so when that ridicule actually happens...it's a sign of a broken brain?
[/quote]

My understanding is this. The demonic ideas spawn from lunatics like Stephen miller and the lobbyists he has running government agencies. The bat **** crazy stuff are innate to trump that he dwells on in private until one of the staff leaks it to the press to maybe try and get out ahead of the story, then trump makes a public show of it and doubles down, then the twitter world moves on to something new in a couple of days.

This Greenland thing to me is definitely some dumbass idea that he kept bringing up in private that one of the saviors went public with (sort of like the anonymous op Ed guy).

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am

Hopping a plane to some 3rd world country, finding the 1% of the land that houses that countries version of The One Percent, just to say "In your face" because the President hurled an insult seems a bit extreme to me. And that's what Conan did. Flew there, took some picture in a body of water and was like "see this place is awesome!" and left. Totally normal.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 am

"broken brain"... :lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:59 am

i'm haven't looked deeply into this, but i imagine conan brought a film crew and intends to release this as some sort of entertainment - to which there is some demand for. i don't think he did this for the private lulz.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:00 am

#TYFYS Conan
He was at one of the finest resorts in Haiti, the rates for which are $254 a night, which is a very a hefty price for a country where the average person makes a little over $400 a year

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:07 am

Conan wrote Marge vs the Monorail, he can stay wherever he pleases.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 am

but that's not a gun show loophole, that's just a private sale loophole.
it's not that different from the terminology blunders like "assault rifle" as opposed to "semi-automatic rifle". not sure it matters, but activists would be better served to understand what amounts to a fairly simple landscape
Sure, it's semantics - but to me, it's demonizing something that really isn't even what the issue is about. I don't argue the AR battle/debate too much, as people just that to just change the subject because they don't want to talk about AR or not.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:16 am

He was at one of the finest resorts in Haiti, the rates for which are $254 a night, which is a very a hefty price for a country where the average person makes a little over $400 a year
Wow, a rich person stayed at nice resort. Now that's the kind of hard hitting, "gotcha" posting I expect from NailedPenguin.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 am

Tony clearly has a broken brain.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:23 am

Wow, a rich person stayed at nice resort. Now that's the kind of hard hitting, "gotcha" posting I expect from NailedPenguin.

Dude, it wasn't a gotcha. His point was to "stick it" to Trump for his sh*thole comment. So he went to the one place on the island that no one there could afford to stay in an effort to show how amazing the country is. All that because Trump made a stupid remark. It's laughably dumb but everyone gets to take a victory lap for owning tRump. It's why people think TDS is a real thing. That goes way beyond "ridiculing him" as Schmeng tried to point out.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 am

Dude, it wasn't a gotcha. His point was to "stick it" to Trump for his sh*thole comment. So he went to the one place on the island that no one there could afford to stay in an effort to show how amazing the country is. All that because Trump made a stupid remark. It's laughably dumb but everyone gets to take a victory lap for owning tRump. It's why people think TDS is a real thing. That goes way beyond "ridiculing him" as Schmeng tried to point out.
He might have went there because Haiti was in the news after Trump's comments and he could mine a joke or two out of it, but his travel show doesn't have anything to do with Trump. It's a comedy sketch which has gone to places like Italy, Israel, Japan, Australia, etc

You're the one making it about Trump.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 am

To quote Tomas' post: "Conan without borders: Greenland" (which follows Mexico and Haiti, also inspired by Trump's statements/actions)." It's what I responded to. Jesus, lets just drop it.