Politics And Current Events

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm

i don't know anyone IRL who defends Trump
Man, it must be to not live in rural PA...

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I think it’s fair to say, that while their may be a sliver of truth to most of the things trump says, they are still 95% bat **** stupid. So I think it reasonable to focus on the 95%.
Look at the insane amount of things he said just today and that was like in 45 minutes of questions. I'm always hearing, oh yeah, he's a **** idiot, but then they always defend him saying he's right. It's bonkers that the POTUS can be that crazy in that short amount of time and it's just oh yeah, he's dumb.
You know it’s possible to acknowledge the stupidity of the and the overwhelming majority of his tweet/thought is utterly ridiculous, but say one part is correct. That isn’t **** ing defending him. Some of you are incapable of breaking things down and are only able to focus on the macro when it comes to anything trump related.
I wasn't talking about you, but that was pretty defensive :slug:

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:12 pm

i don't know anyone IRL who defends Trump - even people who vote for him. Even in this thread, I think there really is only one person who is a Trump "supporter".
Come over to my house and talk with my neighbors and family. It's crazy town.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:15 pm

I know my parents, younger brother, and grandma defend him.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:22 pm

i don't know anyone IRL who defends Trump
Man, it must be to not live in rural PA...
qft

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Besides this being more crazy, who is we? I thought the Syrians were holding them?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:34 pm

“I am the chosen one,” the president said at one point from the South Lawn of the White House

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Wtf? I don't give a sh*t about the NRA non-sense... that second one. Uhhh... wat?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:38 pm

i don't know anyone IRL who defends Trump - even people who vote for him. Even in this thread, I think there really is only one person who is a Trump "supporter".

Generally, people who vote for him see him as a sub-optimal, but begrudgingly mandatory vehicle for cultural preservation.
This is blindingly ignorant of reality. (Insofar as it extends beyond the four walls of this thread)

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm

The produce is not good. It's not even a Wal-Mart Supercenter, it's just a Wal-Mart. Sad!
I lived in her district! :D Which Walmart is in MN-5? I think University Avenue location (the worst Walmart I have ever seen) is in St. Paul..
Yes, you are right. I thought MN-5 extended to Lexington Parkway, but it is farther west. And yeah, the 'Somali Wal-Mart' is the worst I have ever been in. :lol:

Now I just go to Sun Foods at University and Dale, which is also bad but delightfully so.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Generally, people who vote for him see him as a sub-optimal, but begrudgingly mandatory vehicle for cultural preservation.
This is blindingly ignorant of reality. (Insofar as it extends beyond the four walls of this thread)
"Generally" was the wrong word. "The majority of" is more apt. Although I'm smacking my head realizing that my father in law is unquestionably a MAGA guy. So there's one for me IRL.

Maybe I have too much faith in republican voters? People like my parents, shafnutz, morkle...they vote for him because they don't want to vote for the other person and have strong interests in the SCOTUS and cabinet appointees...and will just always vote R. I really think this is the majority of trump voters - and some of them will lean in with their tacit support and get into superficial disputes because of scorekeeping and being put on the defensive. If this is NOT the case, and you have the amount of people who genuinely like this guy in the 9 digit number range...i really don't want to live in that reality and will continue to pretend that things aren't THAT bad.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Besides this being more crazy, who is we? I thought the Syrians were holding them?
Going back to this... is he threatening to release thousands of ISIS prisoners into Europe if he doesn't get what he wants? What kind of psychotic mental gymnastics do you have to do to think "yeah... this is fine."?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:07 pm

"Generally" was the wrong word. "The majority of" is more apt. Although I'm smacking my head realizing that my father in law is unquestionably a MAGA guy. So there's one for me IRL.

Maybe I have too much faith in republican voters? People like my parents, shafnutz, morkle...they vote for him because they don't want to vote for the other person and have strong interests in the SCOTUS and cabinet appointees...and will just always vote R. I really think this is the majority of trump voters - and some of them will lean in with their tacit support and get into superficial disputes because of scorekeeping and being put on the defensive. If this is NOT the case, and you have the amount of people who genuinely like this guy in the 9 digit number range...i really don't want to live in that reality and will continue to pretend that things aren't THAT bad.
He has a 90%+ approval rating among Republican voters. That's not an extraordinarily surprising number, and is generally in line with how the party in the White House perceives its occupant in good times. But even if you only say 1/3 of them are chugging MAGA-aid, that's still 20 million voters around the country, and in some places (like Tonyset) it's going to be a vast majority of the local population.

Personally, I think the people that held their nose and voted for him despite his innate Trumpiness in 2016 represents a single-digit percentage of his support. And I would say it constitutes a near universal number of the people who flipped party votes from 2012. These are the what-have-you-got-to-lose folks in the Rust Belt and suburban female voters and the like. And if you look at current polling among those demographics, Trump is underwater, badly, in nearly all of those places.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Going back to this... is he threatening to release thousands of ISIS prisoners into Europe if he doesn't get what he wants? What kind of psychotic mental gymnastics do you have to do to think "yeah... this is fine."?
I didn’t want to come down with another case of TDS, but that’s also how I read it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 pm

What kind of psychotic mental gymnastics do you have to do to think "yeah... this is fine."?
You know, judges.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 pm

He has a 90%+ approval rating among Republican voters. That's not an extraordinarily surprising number, and is generally in line with how the party in the White House perceives its occupant in good times. But even if you only say 1/3 of them are chugging MAGA-aid, that's still 20 million voters around the country, and in some places (like Tonyset) it's going to be a vast majority of the local population.

Personally, I think the people that held their nose and voted for him despite his innate Trumpiness in 2016 represents a single-digit percentage of his support. And I would say it constitutes a near universal number of the people who flipped party votes from 2012. These are the what-have-you-got-to-lose folks in the Rust Belt and suburban female voters and the like. And if you look at current polling among those demographics, Trump is underwater, badly, in nearly all of those places.
The nose holders...you think they’re a single digit percentage of his supporters or voters? Or is that the same thing in this context?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:20 pm

His approval is in the high-30s-low-40s. It has not really changed since inauguration day. Of that group, I think a single-digit percentage of them are the switch hitters and 'ew, Hillary' crowd. And even at that, that's a dwindling population.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm

It's tif Predicts Trump's Demise Szn.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 pm

His approval is in the high-30s-low-40s. It has not really changed since inauguration day. Of that group, I think a single-digit percentage of them are the switch hitters and 'ew, Hillary' crowd. And even at that, that's a dwindling population.
Approval rating and actually casting a vote his way...how tightly linked are these 2?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:40 pm

It's tif Predicts Trump's Demise Szn.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Good one :thumb:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Comparing job approval to approving of him as a person is an incredibly stupid comparison.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:57 pm

I mean, it's only the single most reliable predictor of reelection odds, so...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Tifstradamus returns.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:59 pm

With the exception of 1944 (because there was no polling data for that year), every incumbent President since 1940 with an approval of over 49% has won reelection, and no incumbent with approval below 48% has won.