Politics And Current Events

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/17/health ... cnn.com%2F

I remember some people saying vaping wasn’t that bad for you in here. Well... starting to look like it might be...
I don't know how anyone can say that "ingesting, or breathing in things not natural to your resporitory" won't be bad for you. I'd imagine there's inherent rish doing it no matter what, smoking, vaping, etc. increases and speeds that risk.
Flower and bubbler for the win.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm

I remember some people saying vaping wasn’t that bad for you in here. Well... starting to look like it might be...
I don't know how anyone can say that "ingesting, or breathing in things not natural to your resporitory" won't be bad for you. I'd imagine there's inherent rish doing it no matter what, smoking, vaping, etc. increases and speeds that risk.
there are important distinctions between substances and equipment. if you're juuling a cotton candy, additive-laced e cig that uses the cheapest of cheap cartridges, that would be different than vaping dry herb from a glass rig.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:52 pm

'pleasant'
I know your personal view of the Bay Area, tif. I get it. :lol:

However, compared to Chicago, NY, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc., San Francisco doesn't get the severe heat and cold of other major cities. You know what I mean. A little rain and fog ain't no thing for a homeless dude. ;)
I totally get it, and I do agree with you. I just.... well, you know. :scared: :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:57 pm

My great-grandparents didn’t speak english when they arrived in this country. yet they learned it quickly while being coal miners and raising 3 children. I know several people that have been in this country for 10+ years that have the English vocabulary of a 4 year old. While yes hardworking in their jobs, I think it is a definite lack of respect for the country you call home to not learn their language.
This is not be being, well, me. I'm genuinely curious how long it took your great grandparents to learn English. The research that I'm familiar with indicates that the average length of time it takes an adult immigrant with a zero baseline to learn English to a conversational fluency level is around ten years. (Kids are obviously shorter because they have school and such) Functional fluency (like being able to read signs and paperwork and such) is a shorter timeline.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Took Geno a couple years. He's my barometer

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:15 pm

My in laws speak better English than most Americans, it took my Wife's dad 6 years, and her mom 2. They learned during the TEN YEAR wait to get in during the 80's, 90's.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:19 pm

One of the things that makes me apprehensive about moving to Germany is that I don't know the language and I'm not sure I can endure socially disrespecting people for 3-5 years. I've dabbled in trying to learn it but once I'm done with school I plan to give it a much more concerted effort. I can't fathom showing up somewhere and expecting every facet of that society to cater to my need to communicate.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Guessing they’re busting their asses with shift work, basic survival and things of that nature - and are also keenly aware that it would be better to learn the language than not.
My great-grandparents didn’t speak english when they arrived in this country. yet they learned it quickly while being coal miners and raising 3 children. I know several people that have been in this country for 10+ years that have the English vocabulary of a 4 year old. While yes hardworking in their jobs, I think it is a definite lack of respect for the country you call home to not learn their language.

If I ever moved to a foreign country I’d be sure to learn their language.
I’m not sure I understand the “respect” part. I think foreign speakers shouldn’t expect businesses or people they interact with to speak their language, but if they’re dealing with life without knowing English, who does it hurt?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Xenophobes

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Biggest drug issue in schools right now.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:40 pm

I'd bet money weed is a worse issue

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:44 pm

I’d much rather my kids smoke weed than vape. If we’re talking about usage, I’d say vaping is more popular.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:45 pm

opiates are ahead of weed, as far as illicit drugs go. juuling is ahead of both.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisc ... -officials

Just want people's thoughts. Is this homeless mess due to the liberal politics, or big business, or a combo.

Government.

San Francisco Man Prevented from Turning His 'Historic Laundromat' Into Apartment Building Is Suing the City for $17 Million
https://reason.com/2018/10/25/san-franc ... -plans-to/

This Insane Battle To Block a New Apartment Building Explains Why San Francisco and Other Cities Are So Expensive
https://reason.com/video/san-francisco- ... ng-crisis/

Housing-Starved San Francisco Shoots Down New Apartment Project Because It Would Cast Shadow on Nearby Park. Again.
https://reason.com/2019/04/11/housing-s ... hoots-dow/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Trump:
“I am doing this whether it’s good or bad for your statement about, ‘Oh, will we fall into a recession for two months?’ The fact is, somebody had to take China on,” Trump said.
“Whether it’s good for our country or bad for out country, short term, it had to be done,” he said, repeating that “whether it’s good or bad, short-term, is irrelevant.”
Lol

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:07 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:19 pm

This is not be being, well, me. I'm genuinely curious how long it took your great grandparents to learn English. The research that I'm familiar with indicates that the average length of time it takes an adult immigrant with a zero baseline to learn English to a conversational fluency level is around ten years. (Kids are obviously shorter because they have school and such) Functional fluency (like being able to read signs and paperwork and such) is a shorter timeline.
From my understanding they were able to speak English by the time my grandmother was old enough to remember. So around 6 or 7 years. For reference they had kids within 2 years of arriving. They didn’t allow my grandmother or her siblings speak anything but English.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Lol major yikes.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Sleepy Joe...
JOE BIDEN speaking now in Urbandale, IA: “When Bobby Kennedy and Dr King were assassinated, in the 70s—in the late 70s.”

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:30 pm

From my understanding they were able to speak English by the time my grandmother was old enough to remember. So around 6 or 7 years. For reference they had kids within 2 years of arriving. They didn’t allow my grandmother or her siblings speak anything but English.
Okay, that's generally in keeping with my understanding of the usual run of play for that kind of thing.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Trump:
“I am doing this whether it’s good or bad for your statement about, ‘Oh, will we fall into a recession for two months?’ The fact is, somebody had to take China on,” Trump said.
“Whether it’s good for our country or bad for out country, short term, it had to be done,” he said, repeating that “whether it’s good or bad, short-term, is irrelevant.”
Lol
I was listening to the radio this afternoon shortly after this happened. Apparently this answer played out for several minutes, and while he was talking the market started dropping.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisc ... -officials

Just want people's thoughts. Is this homeless mess due to the liberal politics, or big business, or a combo.

Government.

San Francisco Man Prevented from Turning His 'Historic Laundromat' Into Apartment Building Is Suing the City for $17 Million
https://reason.com/2018/10/25/san-franc ... -plans-to/

This Insane Battle To Block a New Apartment Building Explains Why San Francisco and Other Cities Are So Expensive
https://reason.com/video/san-francisco- ... ng-crisis/

Housing-Starved San Francisco Shoots Down New Apartment Project Because It Would Cast Shadow on Nearby Park. Again.
https://reason.com/2019/04/11/housing-s ... hoots-dow/
There is something I would note here: It is difficult to overstate how much the Mission District has changed over the last ten years, and not in a good way. Even in the 2 1/2 years we lived up there, the place felt different. There was a spate of magical fires that seemed to consistently (and habitually) strike structures that housed lower-income families and were replaced with buildings (not unlike the one at the center of these stories) that would have many more, but smaller, units that were updated and could fetch $5,000/mo for 600 sq ft. They would be populated by Tech Bros who want to live in a place with 'character' and 'diversity', as they glide by in their WiFi-equipped cruiser bus with all the other Googlers in their neighborhood and the other dweebs fresh out of college on their first job making $190k at Facebook as they multi-task on their morning commute to Mountain View. There is enormous resentment for those people, all throughout the city, but especially so in the Mission; they are viewed almost as an invasive species that's ruining what made that neighborhood so great in the first place.

And there's similar resentment for the Tech Bros all around the Peninsula, as well. Where we lived (South San Francisco, just the other side of the hill from the City) there were plans afoot to build a very large mixed-use project. Would've gotten rid of a small strip mall with a grocery store and a few other businesses and a Post Office), a car wash, a veterinarian, and a pet store and replaced it with brand new multi-story facility with 1,000 units of housing and additional retail. The public meetings in opposition to this thing were hysterical; you'd be forgiven for thinking the developer was talking about plonking down a kitten incinerator.

So there is a subtext to the reluctance to greenlight new projects that I feel none of these stories really capture. A lot of this activity at the Supervisor level is constituent-driven.

(Although, to the point in the third story, I don't know how the proposed building would cast much of a shadow. The site is on the northwest corner of the intersection, and the park is on the south side of the street.)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Trump cancels Denmark meeting over Greenland not being for sale. What an awful timeline.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 pm

This comment was followed by the largest collective eye role in Jewish American history