Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 pm

It is funny, mostly cringey, to listen to these people constantly drop clearly rehearsed lines that you know they're team is telling them to just get in no matter what, it'll kill. Kind of makes you appreciate Trump's off the cuff approach. :pop: More authentic :pop:
I definitely feel Trump is way more genuine than most candidates by a mile. He says what he's thinking at the time no matter how faux pas it is. I also feel that this is probably why AOC generates so much excitement. She doesn't try to water things down or change her message to suit the Washington elite. I think this kind of honest, 'off the cuff' talk in politics is greatly needed. People are more drawn to someone who says what they actually feel as opposed to a well rehearsed robot. You don't know what the robot is thinking.
:thumb:
Especially a lighter shade robot apparantley.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:35 pm

I've just learned everything is racist over the past 2 years.
no you didn't. you've learned that there's a heightened sensitivity, but your life is 100% unchanged.

For real, NAN. Just heightened sensitivity is all

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1156916257834381312
CNN
@CNN
Have you ever noticed the popularity of white robots? The reason for these shades of technological white may be racism, according to new research.
I ordered a black mouse pad yesterday. Pretty sure this is a sign of my inherent wokeness on racial issues.
I don’t have a mouse pad. I must be super woke.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 pm

It is funny, mostly cringey, to listen to these people constantly drop clearly rehearsed lines that you know they're team is telling them to just get in no matter what, it'll kill. Kind of makes you appreciate Trump's off the cuff approach. :pop: More authentic :pop:
I definitely feel Trump is way more genuine than most candidates by a mile. He says what he's thinking at the time no matter how faux pas it is. I also feel that this is probably why AOC generates so much excitement. She doesn't try to water things down or change her message to suit the Washington elite. I think this kind of honest, 'off the cuff' talk in politics is greatly needed. People are more drawn to someone who says what they actually feel as opposed to a well rehearsed robot. You don't know what the robot is thinking.
He is definitely honest about showing that he is an asshat.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Trump says what his base wants to feel. His ideology is very fluid. I don’t think he has positions in stone that he can really be honest about.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Good! That'll show 'em!

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:02 pm

What is the professional/academic take in support of this kind of thing? Trump obviously doesn't care about the tariffs beyond getting to yell about it on TV and complaining generally about "Jyna", but the actual economists/negotiators/trade reps have to have some goal(s) in mind -- both from the micro perspective of these specific negotiations with Jyna, and from a big picture attempt to re-shape the economic order through the use of tariffs and more protectionist actions with multiple trading partners. What's the over-arching approach and target we are shooting at?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Meanwhile, my farmer friends are suffering sizable losses on exports.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 pm

What is the professional/academic take in support of this kind of thing? Trump obviously doesn't care about the tariffs beyond getting to yell about it on TV and complaining generally about "Jyna", but the actual economists/negotiators/trade reps have to have some goal(s) in mind -- both from the micro perspective of these specific negotiations with Jyna, and from a big picture attempt to re-shape the economic order through the use of tariffs and more protectionist actions with multiple trading partners. What's the over-arching approach and target we are shooting at?
Baby boomers are, in general, idiots that think America needs to make stuff in factories to exert economic dominance. One has to assume that Trump thinks that he can bring manufacturing back to America by either making it too expensive to import, or that he can make a trade deal with China where they will buy so much American made stuff that the US will become an export economy. He's as ignorant about global trade as he seems and he is surrounded by yes men loyalists that I'm sure will endure anything.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Probably needs to be stated again: the president is increasing tariffs the day after the Fed Chair (whom the president chose) warned that tariffs represent the single biggest threat to the us and global economies. And he said it repeatedly.
https://twitter.com/steveliesman/status ... 7110056960

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:54 pm

My understanding is that pretty much all of the President's advisors understand that tariffs are dumb and have articulated as much El Cheeto numerous times. The reporting is that he genuinely does not understand how they work, that it is US importers - and ultimately US consumers - who foot the bill.

But hey, you know, MAGA n'at.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Baby boomers are, in general, idiots that think America needs to make stuff in factories to exert economic dominance.
As a raw number, there are as many civilians employed in the manufacturing sector today as the were right before the Korean War. The difference is, the size of the workforce is substantially larger than it was then (thanks in part to both general increase in population and a larger participation of women), and so the overall percentage of the workforce represented by that number has fallen from 40% to under 10%.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:03 pm

My understanding is that pretty much all of the President's advisors understand that tariffs are dumb and have articulated as much El Cheeto numerous times. The reporting is that he genuinely does not understand how they work, that it is US importers - and ultimately US consumers - who foot the bill.

But hey, you know, MAGA n'at.
Did you read Woodward's book? There is a consortium of pro-tariff dumbies. Peter Navarro and Wilbur Ross the primary ones, I think Miller might be a tariff guy too. At the beginning, Cohn was able to get Navarro into some minimal role where he would never get access to the president, but then there would be instances where Bannon would get him into the oval office where he'd talk to trump and get him all worked up on the trade deals. Cohn and Porter seem to have been the guys with access to the president that spent an inordinate amount of time trying to talk him out of unilateral tariffs or breaking existing trade deals. He is apparently set on ditching the trade deal with South Korea as well.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:56 pm

I like my racists and robots visible, so start making camo orange robo-longshoremen

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm

I dunno man. My life's pretty good. As is the life of most of the people I know.
A whole lot of Germans would have said the same under the Nazi regime...

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

I dunno man. My life's pretty good. As is the life of most of the people I know.
I don't see millions of American's being gassed in concentration camps though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 pm

I'd kill for an American Autobahn.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:49 pm

This was a pretty nice synopsis of the Democratic debate.
But the Wednesday night debate was quite different, as the candidates reeled off prepared lines geared towards putting identity- and class-politics at the heart of the revival of the party and their advancement to the next round. This approach was discarded in the ’90s, only to return bigger than ever today, as each candidate sought to outdo the other with outlandish promises and oppo-research attacks.

Why Are Democrats Working So Hard to Win the Woke Left?
https://reason.com/2019/07/31/democrat- ... rand-woke/
It's important to remember, as The Atlantic's Yascha Mounk pointed out in a writeup of a survey that found more than 80 percent of people despise political correctness, that the number of Americans who think people should routinely check their privilege constitute a tiny minority. It seems curious that Democrats are so determined to win them.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:55 pm

The average German didn't see that at the time either...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Last edited by Willie Kool on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 pm

The average German didn't see that at the time either...
So you’re basically insinuating that America is gassing (theoretically or literally) people?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Jesus Christ you can't seriously be discerning that from his post

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:21 pm

So you’re basically insinuating that America is gassing (theoretically or literally) people?
No, they can't make enough money killing them.

We keep them incarcerated instead.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Jesus Christ you can't seriously be discerning that from his post
Do you know what theoretically means?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:24 pm

Theoretically would not mean gassing physically, but using other means to destroy people’s lives.