Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:47 am

This is a real problem the left won't touch with a 10 foot pole. Assimilation is fairly important. The melting pot days aren't really a thing anymore. Internet exists. We are exposed to all kinds of things. Social stability is waaaaay more critical than enabling divisive sub cultures. Even if this is insensitive to Muslims (who really are probably the only culture we need to be concerned about), it is what it is. Things aren't always peachy.
The history of immigration in this country is a perpetual cycle of nativist backlash against the current flow of immigrants. The views expressed by Omar are similar to those expressed by any young leftist versed in Chomsky. I find it especially appalling to ascribe her views to her nationality as opposed to a position based on the simple understanding of actions taken by the US in the 20th and 21st centuries.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:56 am

Having lived pretty much the entirety of my adult life in cities with whole neighborhoods where business and even street signage is predominantly in a foreign language, I find the concept of 'assimilation' to be kind of silly.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 pm

The backlash against Islam isn’t just fear of “the others”. It’s pragmatic, and largely influenced not only by 9/11 but also the continued sentiment that 9/11 was justified to a degree by literally hundreds of millions of Muslims.

There is absolutely a xenophobic and racist component. But that’s not where it ends.

Targeting Omar is a poor vessel for this point. But it’s still a point that has truth behind it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:02 pm

What are the stakes and benefits of assimilation for the in-group? If tif's bubbled/silo'd communities are happy with their way of life I have no issue with that. If they're slighted or feel as though they're not full participants in the American sociopolitical system, and factors contributing to that amount to their inability to interface with the rest of society are directly tied to their unwillingness to adapt to 'mainstream' American culture, then I find little sympathy for their condition.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

The "melting pot" was more traditionally a "tossed salad" and that's why in most major cities, you find a Chinatown or Little Italy or the Polish/German/Irish section.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeah, those communities sprouted specifically to make it easier for the immigrant population to not assimilate. Subsequent generations born in this country do not face nearly the same kind of challenges, as they are raised here in this culture and will be schooled here. And I do not consider that 'assimilation'.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Trump’s July 4th extravaganza has bankrupted the DC government’s special fund that’s supposed to be used to protect the nation’s capital from terrorist threats
"Chris Rodriguez, director of the D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency, said in an interview that the estimated costs for July Fourth were six times as much as in years past and were likely to grow as the city continues to tally expenses."
https://twitter.com/karentravers/status ... 1102121985
What's another bankrupted business unit? Add it to the pile.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah, those communities sprouted specifically to make it easier for the immigrant population to not assimilate. Subsequent generations born in this country do not face nearly the same kind of challenges, as they are raised here in this culture and will be schooled here. And I do not consider that 'assimilation'.
It's not a direct comparison, merely an analogy, but you strike me as the kind of person that would admonish the ugly American for going to Paris and being upset not everyone speaks English.

I have no point with that, just a stream of consciousness thing for me right now. I'm not even sure if there is a disconnect in the situation I envision.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:46 pm

I would settle for “don’t make murdering non believers and homosexuals a canonical part of your faith structure” as step 1 for assimilation.

I recognize this is a fundamentalist view, but it’s unfortunately not an uncommon view, privately.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 pm

What are the stakes and benefits of assimilation for the in-group? If tif's bubbled/silo'd communities are happy with their way of life I have no issue with that. If they're slighted or feel as though they're not full participants in the American sociopolitical system, and factors contributing to that amount to their inability to interface with the rest of society are directly tied to their unwillingness to adapt to 'mainstream' American culture, then I find little sympathy for their condition.
I agree. I don’t think there needs to be any kind of “forced assimilation.” At the same time, realize that in some situations, one may need to know English to accomplish certain things. And it shouldn’t be up to someone else to make an adjustment for you.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

It's not a direct comparison, merely an analogy, but you strike me as the kind of person that would admonish the ugly American for going to Paris and being upset not everyone speaks English.
I have no idea what that even means.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Well it's a very poorly expressed thought, so no surprise there.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Yeah, those communities sprouted specifically to make it easier for the immigrant population to not assimilate.
Lololololololololololol

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 pm

oh hi

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Yeah, those communities sprouted specifically to make it easier for the immigrant population to not assimilate.
Lololololololololololol
slappy has a point, tif's comment is a bit of the deal, but it was also because they were ostracized from the rest of the population.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm

So the president rapes kids I hear

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Former Palm Beach County State Attorney:
“If Mr. Acosta was truly concerned with the State’s case and felt he had to rescue the matter, he would have moved forward with the 53-page indictment that his own office drafted. Instead Mr. Acosta brokered a secret plea deal...”

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:54 pm

So the president rapes kids I hear
Raped*

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Fake news! And even if it isn't, it's ancient history. Besides, he's still better than Clinton. /averagetrumpvoter

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 pm

To be fair, he’d be totally content just ogling them in the changing room. He only has sex with them when he was with Epstein, peer pressure n’that

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 pm

How good are y’all gonna feel when you pull that trump lever next fall? Asking the moderator of this site, mainly.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:40 pm

I will not be pulling that lever, so....

Ah, never mind, you meant Kicksave.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Pwn'n libs & gettin' lulz...

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Unless there’s pictures, or possibly some sort of physical evidence, this won’t move the needle for Trump’s supporters.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Unless there’s pictures, or possibly some sort of physical evidence, this won’t move the needle for Trump’s supporters.
You see...they aren’t voting for trump. They’re voting to ensure their principals are upheld and their scotus stays in tact. So it’s totally fine.