Politics And Current Events

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:19 pm

Over/under 1:00 pm?

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:22 pm

And I’d parlay that with it being followed by a tweet about the USWNT.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Columbia was an obvious troll who would take things way too far for bad faith reasons. This is a hell of a take that MR is anything like that. You can’t just assign people this designation because a) they have a strong but honest opinion about someone b) they aren’t super articulate with their worldview and c) that worldview clashes with yours.

Lots of ways to say you don’t like someone. Get a little more creative, moderator shafnutz
He straight up called NP a racist on the last page. I don't mind having conversations with liberals ITT (I think it's healthy and good, actually) but lately his posts have gotten much more passive aggressive. Hence why I said a "poor man's columbia". As in not 100% like Columbia.

There's nothing passive about me calling him a racist, and there are plenty of examples of his conduct in this thread. I'm calling a spade a spade. I meant what I said 100% and I know there are others who share that opinion.

Unlike Columbia, I'm not saying it just to get a rise out of him, and I'm not going to chase him around the board with it. It's 100% a PDT thing.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:33 pm

The swastika had a certain significance in Hindi/Middle Eastern culture before the Nazis co-opted it.
I have to admit, when you're in a part of the world that has a large Hindi population and you go by a temple and see swastikas all over the place, it's a little jarring. (Even knowing the Nazi one is 'backwards' compared to the Hindu symbol)

And no discussion of swastikas can be considered even sort of complete without referencing the barracks buildings at US Navy Base Coronado.
I had completely forgotten about that (Coronado). The funny thing is, I can actually understand the functional design considerations of designing a building like that. But man...that is a perfect swastika :lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:40 pm

Columbia was an obvious troll who would take things way too far for bad faith reasons. This is a hell of a take that MR is anything like that. You can’t just assign people this designation because a) they have a strong but honest opinion about someone b) they aren’t super articulate with their worldview and c) that worldview clashes with yours.

Lots of ways to say you don’t like someone. Get a little more creative, moderator shafnutz
He straight up called NP a racist on the last page. I don't mind having conversations with liberals ITT (I think it's healthy and good, actually) but lately his posts have gotten much more passive aggressive. Hence why I said a "poor man's columbia". As in not 100% like Columbia.
He straight up made an assessment of someone’s character, yes. And while you disagree, let’s say the track has been laid over the years on this matter.

Explain to us why you feel this message board should censor these types of opinions, moderator.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 pm

The sad thing about those shoes, people in sweat shops made them and no one cares about their rights...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Explain to us why you feel this message board should censor these types of opinions, moderator.
I don't think they should be censored at all. I've always been pretty adamant about that. I dunno, I have a tendency to want to give people the benefit of the doubt. As adamantly as I disagree with some of you on certain issues, I am inclined to think you're all good, solid people. I don't think (I hope) that no one that posts here is an out-and-out racist, but I suppose you can't be certain.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 pm

“Out and out” lol...no we wouldn’t want that. Just keep it low key and we’re fine.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 pm

heh

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:49 pm

“Out and out” lol...no we wouldn’t want that. Just keep it low key and we’re fine.
That's not the meaning I was going for. Eh, never mind.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm

There's nothing passive about me calling him a racist, and there are plenty of examples of his conduct in this thread. I'm calling a spade a spade. I meant what I said 100% and I know there are others who share that opinion.

Unlike Columbia, I'm not saying it just to get a rise out of him, and I'm not going to chase him around the board with it. It's 100% a PDT thing.

Unlike people like you and columbia, I'm a normal, functioning human being that doesn't feel the need to expel any energy to make sure everyone knows im not *GASP* racist. I don't care. And as a normal, functioning person I'm not going to deviate anything away from normal life because it gets used by "white supremacist groups" whoever TF they are?

You dislike racism more than I do. Good for you. Puff that chest out MR.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:59 pm

That's not what I'm saying at all but ok

If you think this is just related to today's discussion and today's discussion only, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:11 pm

If you think this is just related to today's discussion and today's discussion only, I'm not sure what else to tell you.
Wahhh someone doesn’t share my exact worldview so they are racist.

Is that more accurate?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 pm

I know. And I said prior I didn't care then either. When certain people's definitions of the term is so obviously blanketed, eventually you're going to get labeled anyway. So whats the point.

redwill

Postby redwill » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:57 pm

"...brand new Sherman tanks..."

:face:

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 pm

"...brand new Sherman tanks..."

:face:
Maybe there are some unopened ones just laying around somewhere.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:24 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 pm

I would love to see a parade of WWII tanks and vehicles. Aberdeen Testing Grounds are close to DC, just sayin'...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm

I had completely forgotten about that (Coronado). The funny thing is, I can actually understand the functional design considerations of designing a building like that. But man...that is a perfect swastika :lol:
There is ample evidence that the complex was quite deliberately designed as a swastika. Moreover, between arcitechtural plans, models, site maps, etc, there had to have been dozens (maybe even hundreds) of touch points by military officers and civilian officials who signed off on actual graphical representations of the complex as opposed to text descriptions like "a central structure surrounded by 4 L-shaped buildings, each offset by 90 degrees".

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 pm

I have to admit, when you're in a part of the world that has a large Hindi population and you go by a temple and see swastikas all over the place, it's a little jarring. (Even knowing the Nazi one is 'backwards' compared to the Hindu symbol)

It shows up all over Asia. The swastika is the Japanese symbol for a Buddhist temple and is all over Japanese maps. I also learned recently that it's one of the most important religious symbols in the traditional Mongolian shamanism religion.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Post debates poll with Biden and Bernie dropping:
Biden: 24 percent
Harris: 16
Warren: 13
Sanders: 9
Pete Buttigieg: 6
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... fe3fae9965

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:28 pm

I don’t care for warren. With that said, I probably want her to win the general election. But that’s not to say I want her to win the primary.

This is all very awesome.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Democrats are going to **** up the easiest election to win for a second time.