Politics And Current Events

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 am

Maybe it's a good thing people don't want to associate themselves with things being used by hate groups?
You can't keep giving up things just because some jagoffs appropriate them...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 am

The swastika had a certain significance in Hindi/Middle Eastern culture before the Nazis co-opted it.

Maybe it's a good thing people don't want to associate themselves with things being used by hate groups?

You are the worst

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 am

The swastika had a certain significance in Hindi/Middle Eastern culture before the Nazis co-opted it.

They probably wouldn't use the OK sign anymore either.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 am

You are the worst

At least I'm not a racist.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:59 am

And we're all very impressed. You're such a good person.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:03 am

And I'm going to sleep well tonight knowing that makes you angry.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:03 am

This is a stupid controversy because I don't think any normal human had any idea that white nationalists used that old ass flag for anything.

I think the ok symbol thing would be equally stupid, had the NZ killer not shown it in that photograph, so I think that's extends beyond just "triggering the libs".

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:04 am

It doesn't take much to do that.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am

Nothing in his posts here display racism or anger. Do you know how to read?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am

Nobody cares about those shoes or that flag.

This isn’t big sneaker caving to SJW’s. This is an example of a corporation playing it safe by throttling an arbitrary design choice. Because it doesn’t matter. At all.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 am

Some of you seriously need to learn the difference between replying to a discussed topic and being angry about it. Because it aint the same thing.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 am

If you read the article, the main issue people had about this was that the flag was flown during a time when slavery was still allowed. So some people see if as a symbol of a country that was ok with that. I don’t think the part that some fringe group might use it had much to do with it.
That said, I don’t really have a problem with it. However, I’m not someone who has a connection to slavery.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:27 am

So are we just supposed to forget America existed before the 1900s or what? Man

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status ... 42208?s=19
Colin Kaepernick jumped the shark a number of years ago. As one of the Twitter comments pointed out, I'm sure there are plenty of white nationalists that love Craft Beer, Chipotle, Marvel movies, etc. Is Colin going to tell us that we can't like those anymore? Social justice stuff going off the rails, again.
:fist: It's to the point it's annoying as crap. You can associate anything to something hateful.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

If you read the article, the main issue people had about this was that the flag was flown during a time when slavery was still allowed. So some people see if as a symbol of a country that was ok with that. I don’t think the part that some fringe group might use it had much to do with it.
That said, I don’t really have a problem with it. However, I’m not someone who has a connection to slavery.

Isn’t the Betsy ross flag just for our independence?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 am

Colin Kaepernick jumped the shark a number of years ago. As one of the Twitter comments pointed out, I'm sure there are plenty of white nationalists that love Craft Beer, Chipotle, Marvel movies, etc. Is Colin going to tell us that we can't like those anymore? Social justice stuff going off the rails, again.
:fist: It's to the point it's annoying as crap. You can associate anything to something hateful.
Definitely a slippery slope. Chipotle. You’re in the crosshairs. Watch your back, dadholes.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:33 am

I'm certainly not angry or upset about it, it doesn't affect me one bit. But there were parts of our history that were bad, there's no debate. Are we just going to not acknowledge anything that happened in that time frame going forward? Let's take Washington off of our quarters and rename the capital too.. just seems silly to keep moving in that direction

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:39 am

Definitely a slippery slope. Chipotle. You’re in the crosshairs. Watch your back, dadholes.
Volkswagen better rename themselves. They are associated with the Nazis...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:42 am

You are the worst

At least I'm not a racist.
Over the past couple of years, you have low-key devolved into one of the worst posters ITT. Almost like a poor imitation of Columbia at his best.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:45 am

As the late great Freddy Rumsen would say,

K.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:47 am

I suppose "worst poster" depends on your political bent.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:48 am

I suppose "worst poster" depends on your political bent.
Ned?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:49 am

I'm certainly not angry or upset about it, it doesn't affect me one bit. But there were parts of our history that were bad, there's no debate. Are we just going to not acknowledge anything that happened in that time frame going forward? Let's take Washington off of our quarters and rename the capital too.. just seems silly to keep moving in that direction
This was a passive move by Nike. This is indicative of virtually nothing. Here’s a peek into the war room:

Head of R&D: here’s the new design
Head of Marketing: cool. Looks good. Wait...lemme check something.
RD: what’s up?
M: ah crap. Some loonies are using this as a hate emblem. We should probably change it. Is that an issue?
RD: for us? Nope. We’ll have a new design by the time we meet next week. Is it a problem for the bottom line?
M: nah. We’ll make up the production costs by virtue signaling. We have a reliable brand now.
RD: cool. Now let’s go watch as a bunch of nimrods start jumping to conclusions about how big of a deal this is.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:54 am

This was a passive move by Nike. This is indicative of virtually nothing. Here’s a peek into the war room:

Head of R&D: here’s the new design
Head of Marketing: cool. Looks good. Wait...lemme check something.
RD: what’s up?
M: ah crap. Some loonies are using this as a hate emblem. We should probably change it. Is that an issue?
RD: for us? Nope. We’ll have a new design by the time we meet next week. Is it a problem for the bottom line?
M: nah. We’ll make up the production costs by virtue signaling. We have a reliable brand now.
RD: cool. Now let’s go watch as a bunch of nimrods start jumping to conclusions about how big of a deal this is.
In bizarro SJW land that’s what happened.

More likely.

H of M. - One of our brand ambassadors that’s made us a **** ton of money doesn’t want us to put out this shoe because he believes it’s racist.

H of R&D - Ok.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am

Columbia was an obvious troll who would take things way too far for bad faith reasons. This is a hell of a take that MR is anything like that. You can’t just assign people this designation because a) they have a strong but honest opinion about someone b) they aren’t super articulate with their worldview and c) that worldview clashes with yours.

Lots of ways to say you don’t like someone. Get a little more creative, moderator shafnutz

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:57 am

Hey shmenguin... get f*cked.