Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Liz Cheney and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez are both wrong on concentration camps

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/19/opin ... _term=link
:thumb:

I cringe every time I see the comparisons. Ditto for the Obama "indoctrination camp" nonsense.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Come on... This is like lowering the sheep into the TRex enclosure :lol:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Come on... This is like lowering the sheep into the TRex enclosure :lol:
Sorry, should have tagged your alt instead...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 pm

With John McCain gone, it looks like Lindsey Graham is working even harder to press the neocon "never met a country I don't want to bomb" agenda.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lindse ... refineries

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Corey Booker is real puss.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:49 pm

This is a really, really awful read.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/1868 ... zant-tampa

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 am

And Joe Biden is a stupid old man.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:57 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:01 am

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:02 am

And Joe Biden is a stupid old man.
He's always been a gaffe machine, so yeah.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:53 am

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... e=Homepage

In case you were wondering how a housing bubble is created.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 am

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/73424121 ... cial-media

Seems like one could draw the conclusion that racist people go into police work because they want to live out some racist fantasies.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

Yup...climate change is no joke.

Honestly, if you think about how wild the Earth is in terms of how much it changes, you realize just how fragile our existence is here. I mean, the last Ice Age ended 12,000 years ago, with glaciers stretching as far south as Middle America. That is like a second ago in the history of the Earth.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:45 am

Seems like one could draw the conclusion that racist people go into police work because they want to live out some racist fantasies.
Sadly, not surprising. I respect how difficult that job is, but unfortunately it draws a big portion of people that most of us wouldn't want anywhere near a position of authority. I've said it before....high school jocks and bullies.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 am

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... ictim.html
Black people don’t need another apology. We need safer neighborhoods and better schools. We need a less punitive criminal justice system. We need affordable health care. And none of these things can be achieved through reparations for slavery...

Reparations by definition are only given to victims, so the moment you give me reparations, you’ve made me into a victim without my consent. Not just that, you’ve made 1/3 of black Americans who poll against reparations into victims without their consent, and black Americans have fought too long for the right to define themselves to be spoken for in such a condescending manner.
Well said. You want to drive a deep wedge between black people and (especially) poor white people even further? Because reparations seems like a great way to do that.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 am

Yup...climate change is no joke.

Honestly, if you think about how wild the Earth is in terms of how much it changes, you realize just how fragile our existence is here. I mean, the last Ice Age ended 12,000 years ago, with glaciers stretching as far south as Middle America. That is like a second ago in the history of the Earth.
Yes, humanity is fragile. I feel bad for the next generations as these changes to the climate cause mass upheaval.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... ictim.html
Black people don’t need another apology. We need safer neighborhoods and better schools. We need a less punitive criminal justice system. We need affordable health care. And none of these things can be achieved through reparations for slavery...

Reparations by definition are only given to victims, so the moment you give me reparations, you’ve made me into a victim without my consent. Not just that, you’ve made 1/3 of black Americans who poll against reparations into victims without their consent, and black Americans have fought too long for the right to define themselves to be spoken for in such a condescending manner.
Well said. You want to drive a deep wedge between black people and (especially) poor white people even further? Because reparations seems like a great way to do that.
The logistics of direct reparations would be....complicated to say the least.

I do think though that there is a case for some sort of collective action on the part of the government to attempt to rectify some of the things that were done, at the behest of government, that mistreated the african american population. Things like redlining have done so much damage to those communities.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 am

Sadly, not surprising. I respect how difficult that job is, but unfortunately it draws a big portion of people that most of us wouldn't want anywhere near a position of authority. I've said it before....high school jocks and bullies.
I also think there are too many former military members that become police officers.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 am

You know all those smart kids you went to high school with? Or the really creative, industrious ones? Or the compassionate ones who could read a situation and use their witts to diffuse it in a fair and understanding manner?

Yeah...none of them became cops. Police officer is either a coveted profession for wanna be cowboys or a compromise for people who couldn’t find anything better. The only way to crack this is to make the position appealing for more balanced individuals. Which means money.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:51 am

There's a handful of people in this thread who would be disqualified for the job because of their postings here.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:59 am

If anything, the preponderance of racist cops should probably reflect the preponderance of racism as a whole.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 am

If anything, the preponderance of racist cops should probably reflect the preponderance of racism as a whole.
Preponderance:
the quality or fact of being greater in number, quantity, or importance

Honestly, if I weren't as thick skinned as I am I wouldn't be on this message board anymore. Between this bullshit and the Cops Earning the Hate thread it makes me want to puke.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 am

I think most cops are decent people trying to do their best, but the notion that the job doesn't also attract power hungry dadholes is naive at best. There is not a preponderance of cops who are racist, but there are more than there should be. There is not a preponderance of cops who think their badge and gun give them the right to treat citizens (of all races) like crap, but there are more than there should be. There is not a preponderance of cops who shoot first and worry about the consequences (in the rare instance that there are any) later, but there are more than there should be.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:47 am

I think most cops are decent people trying to do their best, but the notion that the job doesn't also attract power hungry dadholes is naive at best. There is not a preponderance of cops who are racist, but there are more than there should be. There is not a preponderance of cops who think their badge and gun give them the right to treat citizens (of all races) like crap, but there are more than there should be. There is not a preponderance of cops who shoot first and worry about the consequences (in the rare instance that there are any) later, but there are more than there should be.
That's all I ask. Thank you.
The police earning the hate thread has 215 posts. Even if they represented 215 individual acts of police being very bad at their job, that's out of 700k law enforcement officers.
Yes, due to it's nature of exercising authority over those that are accused of a crime (and therefor seen as lesser by fragile souls), it attracts more fragile/inflated egos than the average job.

But we're commenting on an article that says 72 officers out of 3500 were put on desk duty. That's an absurdly low number if you look at how many possibly offensive memes flood my facebook timeline. While none of my Philly circle were caught up in this, I did hear that of those 72, one was put on desk duty for commenting on a post about a protester getting violent with a police officer with the comment "nothing a ball tap wouldn't fix" and a winky emoticon. A joke, about using extremely non-lethal force to subdue a person assaulting a police officer. But now he's a racist scumbag?