Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 am

Los Angeles seeking legal action to stop the influx of people who don't belong there.

1 million :pop:'s
Neighboring cities are pushing homeless into L.A., councilmen alleged
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
One day after Los Angeles received confirmation of a major increase in its homeless population, two City Council members said they want to look into legal strategies to force nearby cities to provide shelter beds or allow people to sleep on their sidewalks.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

I don't think it's meant to incite anymore than saying "At fertilization, it's a human, and so any abortion is murder."
But that's science, not an incitement.

There is no biological argument regarding the fact that the completion of fertilization results in a distinct living thing.

Mold in your Refrigerator is alive.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:37 am

Aren't you kind of confirming what shmenguin said??

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

I don't think it's meant to incite anymore than saying "At fertilization, it's a human, and so any abortion is murder."

There is no biological argument regarding the fact that the completion of fertilization results in a distinct living thing.

"A distinct living thing" is scientifically unremarkable. Humans believe they're elevated to remarkable because they are touched by a divine presence the instance a tadpole breaches an egg. Biologically, this is simply the invocation of cell division. And a heartbeat is simply machinery. It's not magic. Even the development of neurons and how this all interplays with DNA is just machinery building itself.

You think humans are special, so you don't approve of abortion. Others think we're just sentient meat, and don't agree. And the world keeps spinning.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 am

not exactly. he's parsing the word "human" - as if that has actual implicit value. i understand why deists think so, but needless to say, i don't agree.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 am

Editted: Already covered

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:06 pm

not exactly. he's parsing the word "human" - as if that has actual implicit value. i understand why deists think so, but needless to say, i don't agree.
Right, and you saying that is no more meant to incite that someone saying it does have actual implicit value. Seems as though that Grunty meant "I'm offended" rather than it was a "bullshit statements that are meant to incite."

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:56 pm

"A distinct living thing" is scientifically unremarkable. Humans believe they're elevated to remarkable because they are touched by a divine presence the instance a tadpole breaches an egg. Biologically, this is simply the invocation of cell division. And a heartbeat is simply machinery. It's not magic. Even the development of neurons and how this all interplays with DNA is just machinery building itself.

You think humans are special, so you don't approve of abortion. Others think we're just sentient meat, and don't agree. And the world keeps spinning.
There are ways both sides can frame their arguments without resorting to stupid descriptions or comparisons.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Right, and you saying that is no more meant to incite that someone saying it does have actual implicit value. Seems as though that Grunty meant "I'm offended" rather than it was a "bullshit statements that are meant to incite."
Not offended. It takes quite a bit to actually offend me.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:02 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTr ... gr%5Etweet

“For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!”

We need Shaf MD in here to use his HRC diagnosing skills to diagnose this mental disease.

A) hasn’t he supported going to the moon multiple times and signed off on giving money to NASA for moon exploration
And
B) what in the flying **** is he talking about

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:05 pm

"including Mars (of which the Moon is a part)"

My guess this is speaking to the Mars human exploration plans that intend to use the moon as an intermediary staging area.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Los Angeles seeking legal action to stop the influx of people who don't belong there.

1 million :pop:'s
Neighboring cities are pushing homeless into L.A., councilmen alleged
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
One day after Los Angeles received confirmation of a major increase in its homeless population, two City Council members said they want to look into legal strategies to force nearby cities to provide shelter beds or allow people to sleep on their sidewalks.
Plant grow 🌽

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Which means we have to talk about going to the moon again, right?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Yeah. A better way of putting his position should have been "why focus on the moon when we're going there on the way to Mars already" but he's not a bright communicator so...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm

i mean...there's a noticeable edge in my post, which i guess could be interpreted as inflammatory. but this is one of those situations where certain cultures and indoctrinations are causing a great deal of suffering for a heck of a lot of people for no good reason. and it makes me frustrated to continually see people victimized like this.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm

i mean...there's a noticeable edge in my post, which i guess could be interpreted as inflammatory. but this is one of those situations where certain cultures and indoctrinations are causing a great deal of suffering for a heck of a lot of people for no good reason. and it makes me frustrated to continually see people victimized like this.
Well considering only fringe people are either for all abortion or against it entirely, it’s only a small subset of people that are causing this bullshit continually. Instead of resorting to dumb comparisons maybe talk about where there is common ground between 90+% of people.

So demonizing just the Religious side of view gets you no where in the conversation. Open up your single minded train of thought to consider the role the fringe on your side of the issue create the stalemate.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Kind of hard to avoid the "fringe" when they are the ones writing the policy for entire states.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/845850/m ... -abortions

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Kind of hard to avoid the "fringe" when they are the ones writing the policy for entire states.

But, but, but... didn't you see them celebrating in NY about being able to abort babies up until birth?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Well considering only fringe people are either for all abortion or against it entirely, it’s only a small subset of people that are causing this bullshit continually. Instead of resorting to dumb comparisons maybe talk about where there is common ground between 90+% of people.

So demonizing just the Religious side of view gets you no where in the conversation. Open up your single minded train of thought to consider the role the fringe on your side of the issue create the stalemate.
Please define "all abortion".

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Kansas has actually protected a women's right to an abortion (with some limitations) in their state constitution. So women from the KC area will go to Kansas already. The remaining PP (and only MO abortion provider) is in St. Louis, and if they have to move across the river and setup shop in Illinois they will. For years now that has been the case since the Republican legislature started putting laws in place in 2010 to try to make operating a clinic onerous.
Long story short, MO Republicans right now want to thump their chest about closing all abortion clinics in the state so they can be the first without one...yet women will still travel to the two neighboring states that operate clinics right across the border. Women that want one aren't going to say, "oh that's too hard so I guess I'll have the baby after all." So it effectively does nothing but piss pro-choice people off and pander to pro-life people.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Women that want one aren't going to say, "oh that's too hard so I guess I'll have the baby after all."
I'm not sure that's true... I don't have the data nor know where to find it, so please enlighten me if I'm wrong on this, but I feel as though the middle and lower class citizens that want an abortion effectively will do just that: I can't afford it/that's too hard, so I'll just have this baby (which I can't afford either...)

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:38 pm

I would be surprised if that’s the case (I don’t have the data either). Mainly because most women have a support system that wouldn’t let that happen. But that’s just a feeling and not driven by data.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Mainly because most women have a support system that wouldn’t let that happen.
Again, I'm not sure that's true.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Mainly because most women have a support system that wouldn’t let that happen.
Again, I'm not sure that's true.
I also have doubts. Make something more difficult and less people will do it. Same for drugs, guns, whatever you got. Add a sprinkle of hassle from the law and it becomes less worth it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:20 am

“Naming your child Muhammad is illegal in China” — I just left this meeting where Amb. Sam Brownback condemned China’s abuse of Muslims in Xinjiang. Muslim countries should follow Turkey’s example & do the same @Heritage @IRF_Ambassador
https://t.co/2DCAF2I2qU