Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am

He's toast.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:35 am

People always tell me here that he's toast.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Trump's fans out in full force in London:

As far as the protests, I have to tell you, because I commented on it yesterday: We left, the prime minister, the queen, the royal family — there were thousands of people on the streets cheering, and even coming over today, there were thousands of people cheering. And then I heard that there were protests, and I said, where are the protests? I don’t see any protests. I did see a small protest today when I came, very small. So a lot of it is fake news, I hate to say. But you saw the people waving the American flag, waving your flag. It was tremendous spirit and love, there was great love. It was an alliance. And I didn’t see the protesters until just a little while ago and it was a very, very small group of people, put in for political reasons. So, it was fake news.
:lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:08 pm

sometimes I admire trump's determination to be see the world as he wants to see it. it would be nice to live a world without any self doubt

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 pm

100% would have thought this was a dodint post.

I thought that "Shyster hates California" is one of those things that's every bit as known on here as "Shyster loves sumo."

Other than the fairly liberalized drug laws, it's one of the worst states from a libertarian perspective. And there are many good reasons that California always scores near the bottom of Guns & Ammo's annual list of best states for gun owners. It's too bad, because the state has abundant natural resources and a lot of beautiful natural features. It's just been ruined by the California people and the progressive governments they keep electing.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:20 pm

The previous Mental Health regulations reinstated, and convicted domestic abusers being disqualified from firearms purchases nationally (there are still holes in the existing law that need closed, such as T.R.O. and P.R.O. against boyfriends/grilfriends as opposed to spouses).

What is meant by "previous Mental Health regulations reinstated"? Do you mean those Social Security regs that would have disqualified people who had custodians appointed to manage their affairs?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm

The previous Mental Health regulations reinstated, and convicted domestic abusers being disqualified from firearms purchases nationally (there are still holes in the existing law that need closed, such as T.R.O. and P.R.O. against boyfriends/grilfriends as opposed to spouses).

What is meant by "previous Mental Health regulations reinstated"? Do you mean those Social Security regs that would have disqualified people who had custodians appointed to manage their affairs?
I hope so. Cant manage your affairs then you can't have guns.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:19 pm

sometimes I admire trump's determination to be see the world as he wants to see it. it would be nice to live a world without any self doubt
:thumb:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Then I wouldn't agree. Custodians are appointed for a lot of reasons, and the vast majority of those people are not mentally ill and are not a danger to themselves or others. For example, if Grandpa is a compulsive gambler, his children might get a custodian appointed over his Social Security payments so that Grandpa doesn't blow all of his rent money on the ponies. I don't think that means that Grandpa should be legally disqualified from owning firearms. Even the ACLU opposed those Social Security regs, and the ACLU is by no means a pro-gun organization.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/disability-ri ... ld-be-fair

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 pm

The Mexican press is blaming the Guatemalans:
Geography 101: To get to Mexico, emigrants from Honduras and El Salvador must cross Guatemala, which crosses the Central American isthmus from sea to sea. While it is legal for Hondurans and Salvadorans to enter Guatemala it is not legal to depart clandestinely for Mexico without completing emigration requirements.

Yet thousands do each day on foot by wading or rafting, often in plain sight of Guatemalan authorities. This exodus used to be mostly confined to Tapachula in the far southwestern corner of Chiapas but as Mexico turns up the heat on illegal immigrants the flow has spread eastward.
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/bar ... migration/

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:27 pm

One for Shaf:
Mexico City schools to allow boys to wear skirts, girls to wear pants
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/school ... ar-skirts/

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Guatemalans kicked me out of their country once.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Why they are protesting Trump:
To many in Britain, Mr. Trump appeared less a friend tossing a lifeline than an opportunist angling to exploit Britain’s estrangement from Europe by pursuing a trade deal that would crack open Britain’s health service and foist chlorinated American chicken on British shoppers.

“This orange blow-in is brashly telling us how to conduct our own international affairs,” wrote Zoe Williams, a columnist at the Guardian, “and listening to him it is clear that a close relationship with Trump’s America would be as far removed from regaining sovereignty as it is possible to imagine. Allied to Trump, we’d be more of a satrapy than a nation state. We would be dominated by a power that was as raw as it was distant.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/worl ... a-may.html

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:47 pm

"Chlorinated chicken"

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Then I wouldn't agree. Custodians are appointed for a lot of reasons, and the vast majority of those people are not mentally ill and are not a danger to themselves or others. For example, if Grandpa is a compulsive gambler, his children might get a custodian appointed over his Social Security payments so that Grandpa doesn't blow all of his rent money on the ponies. I don't think that means that Grandpa should be legally disqualified from owning firearms. Even the ACLU opposed those Social Security regs, and the ACLU is by no means a pro-gun organization.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/disability-ri ... ld-be-fair
So that's your only hang up? I feel that there might be an agreeable two step process available to separate custodians due to mental health versus other possibilities. Let's roll :mrgreen:

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:02 pm

"Chlorinated chicken"

It is rather gross. Not the chlorine specifically, but why it's used.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ite-ruiner

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Oh, I'm well aware of the practices in poultry, I live around mostly turkey houses now, but in Mississippi there were a ton of chicken houses (mostly Tyson, but also Sanderson Farms) around my town.

It's just the oddly specific complaint.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:14 pm

It's not a milkshake, but...
An elderly supporter of the US president is pushed to the ground during anti-Trump protests in London
https://t.co/hDO99JOJ8h

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 pm

"Chlorinated chicken"

It is rather gross. Not the chlorine specifically, but why it's used.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ite-ruiner
I’m guessing they are pushing an agenda here. Question I would ask the writer are, what is the comparison in consumption per capita between USA and the UK? And did you take into account population sizes? Just reporting a number without context means nothing.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:44 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/us/parkl ... index.html
Former Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson -- who was criticized for how he responded when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School -- has been charged with 11 counts, including felony child neglect charges, authorities said.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm old enough to remember when CNN and Jake Tapper had a "roundtable" where the jagoffs in Broward County were treated like heroes who then got to slam Marco Rubio.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Why would you remember that

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm old enough to remember when CNN and Jake Tapper had a "roundtable" where the jagoffs in Broward County were treated like heroes who then got to slam Marco Rubio.
What is this is in relation to?