Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Wonder how this will interfere with our plans to "end" Iran.
If it's anything like the GWOT™ Threat Rainbow, it will probably escalate the timeline, at least as regards amping up the rhetorical eastern Twitter front.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Wonder how this will interfere with our plans to "end" Iran.
I largely wonder what's going to happen if we do escalate with Iran. It doesn't seem there's any appetite at all to get into another war.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 21, 2019 12:59 am

I don't think the problem is necessarily term limits as much as it is election fatigue.

The average size of a Congressional district today is roughly 775,000 people; when the Constitution was ratified, the population of the entire country was barely 4 million. It is not practical to have every House seat up for election every two years; you have a situation today where members of Congress spend as much time on the phone gladhanding for contributions as they do in their offices or committee rooms.
i don't see how changing the cadence of elections would have any impact on the prime directive for people with unlimited term limits. they exist for the purpose of being re-elected. their behavior isn't relative to the schedule in which that takes place. from end-to-end they act the same the whole way. so let's not overthink this.
Term limits are not a panacea to all that ills congress. They get reelected because the constituents want them reelected.
What an uninspiring establishmentarian, heh, thing to say...I'm sure almost half of all people even know who their Congressman is...they get re-elected chiefly because they were elected last time...which isn't at odds with your last statement, but it seems prohibitive to progress...for either side, really...

Basically, I'm re-applying and interviewing for my own job once a month...I imagine that's a significant ding on my production...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 21, 2019 2:41 pm

https://www.propublica.org/article/trum ... mar-a-lago

lol, these dudes just don't give a ****.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 pm

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=2622

Trump not doing as well as Nittany Ned thinks.
President Trump begins his reelection campaign in a deep hole as 54 percent of American voters say they "definitely" will not vote for him, compared to 52 percent in an April 30 Quinnipiac University National Poll. Today, 31 percent say they "definitely" will vote for Trump and 12 percent say they will "consider voting for him."
I don't understand the Biden appeal, it's probably just a product of a two dozen candidates that nobody gives a **** about.
Democratic Candidates

With a 49 - 39 percent favorability rating, former Vice President Joseph Biden is the only presidential contender, Democrat or Republican, with a clear positive score. Favorability ratings for other Democrats are negative or mixed:
41 - 48 percent for Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont;
32 - 41 percent for Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts;
27 percent favorable for Sen. Kamala Harris of California, with 30 percent unfavorable;
20 - 32 percent for former U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas;
23 - 31 percent for Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey;
23 percent favorable for South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, to 19 percent unfavorable;
8 - 45 percent for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Exceptions don't make the rule, but you guys got fried by leaning on these Family Feud style surveys before to ostensibly coast to an easy victory...y'all might have to work for this one...in terms of workers, you have under 1.5 viable candidates at the present.
Last edited by mikey on Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm

he seems to be the most well known D candidate that isn't racing as far left as possible, it's not too crazy to fathom him being the best chance to beat Trump

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue May 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Exceptions don't make the rule, but you guys got fried by leaning on these Family Feud style surveys before to ostensibly coast to an easy victory...y'all might have to work for this one...in terms of workers, you have under 1.5 viable candidates at the present.
:roll:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm

I think it's been shown world wide that pollsters are starting to get more and more wrong by using old methods that were pretty much spot on in the past. I think it's quite clear that polls can no longer be reliable without changing the way they're done.

As for Biden, I don't think it's a good plan in the way he's running... Put zero forward as far as policy is concerned, and just play the "I'm not Trump card". Here's the thing: no one is Trump. It goes without saying that you're not Trump. No one will likely ever be like Trump. They need to get people excited about voting for the Democratic nominee rather than being excited to not vote for Trump.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 pm

"Don't you think it's just great to see the fact that you've got a guy there on the stage with his husband and it's normal?" Fox's Steve Hilton asked.

"I think it's absolutely fine, I do," Trump said.

He agreed with Hilton's assessment that Buttigieg's candidacy is a "sign of great progress," adding, "Yeah, I think it's great. I think that's something that perhaps some people will have a problem with, I have no problem with it whatsoever."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/politics ... vSVd4l_yKE

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm

What a **** show

The Justice Department offers to hand over Mueller report materials to the House Intelligence Committee in exchange for Chairman Adam Schiff not taking an "enforcement action" against Attorney General Barr https://t.co/8Ax3aHBqRz https://t.co/eNpgfuj3B2

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm

What a **** show

The Justice Department offers to hand over Mueller report materials to the House Intelligence Committee in exchange for Chairman Adam Schiff not taking an "enforcement action" against Attorney General Barr https://t.co/8Ax3aHBqRz https://t.co/eNpgfuj3B2
Barr can get effed for flaunting this stuff in public.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Well, at least he is not whitknighting for El Cheeto.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 pm

Beto is having a "town hall" on CNN. He's way too soff.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 22, 2019 5:25 am

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 22, 2019 7:14 am

My aunt won the Republican nomination for prothonotary in Butler County. After reading about the position, not sure why political stance would matter.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 am

My aunt won the Republican nomination for prothonotary in Butler County. After reading about the position, not sure why political stance would matter.
There was big drama with this back in NC. When Obama was elected in 2008 a certain but substantial voting block in Carteret County got riled up and went to the polls for the next election. They replaced a 'Democrat' Clerk of Courts with a 'Republican' who had never done it before. People are **** dumb.

But, then, you can counter that argument with 'but, Kim Davis' and you'd see that maybe party affiliation does matter. :|

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 am

Is Troy Loney employed in Chicago?

Literally the most successful troll job in human history.
Chicago high school spent $53K replacing yearbook after students pose with 'OK' hand sign linked to white supremacy
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1131165332972941312

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed May 22, 2019 9:42 am

They are trolling by saying they are white supremacists?
Is Troy Loney employed in Chicago?

Literally the most successful troll job in human history.
Chicago high school spent $53K replacing yearbook after students pose with 'OK' hand sign linked to white supremacy
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1131165332972941312

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 am

Yet another reason to bemoan the existence of Trump (as their figurehead) is the rise of the troll culture. Well done.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed May 22, 2019 10:45 am

Don't blame everyone else for people turning into over emotional lunatics.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 am

Don't blame everyone else for people turning into over emotional lunatics.
Exhibit A.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am

WTF are you talking about? Seriously. I feel like I have to ask you that a dozen times a week.

If I found a reddit thread during the campaign that said every time Hillary hacks her lungs out on stage its a secret code for her followers to come after me, and I barricaded myself in the house, I doubt you'd blame Clinton trolls for me losing all rational thought and sense of reality.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am

Doesn't fit the company line...so therefore, it's ridiculous...

I know it's been discussed recently, but I don't recall a clear answer...is this ok sign actually a legit thing? Maybe I don't hang out in the right circles, but I've never heard of that being anything but the circle game...which I had never heard of until a Malcolm in the Middle episode...

Is it on the level of what the Black Panthers used as a sign in the 60's? I guess what I mean is, is this actually representative of something? Or is it just the clumsy password for a club that virtually no one knows about, is in, or aspires to be in?