Politics And Current Events

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am

Biden's problems are all on his left, especially as they continue to mine audio/video of all the stuff he's said in a 40 year career in public office.
You don’t need to mine what he said in the 80s; what he’s saying today is enough to disqualify him imo.
What is he saying that disqualifies him today? I'm open to changing my vote.
In New Hampshire, Joe Biden predicts that once President Trump is out of office, Republicans will have “an epiphany” and work with Democrats toward consensus.
So you're looking for a more controversial candidate who wants to fight the GOP? AKA The Bern?

I think it's wishful thinking about getting along with the GOP and is meant to attract moderates, right of center not-Trumpers. My republican parents already said they would vote for Biden against Trump so I think he needs to keep them in mind.
I am not looking for someone who is "controversial" or "wants to fight the GOP." I want someone who will advance policies I believe in and understands political power like Mitch McConnell does.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/worl ... e=Homepage

This is going to go well.
As the Trump administration draws up war plans against Iran over what it says are threats to American troops and interests, a senior British military official told reporters at the Pentagon on Tuesday that he saw no increased risk from Iran or allied militias in Iraq or Syria.

A few hours later, the United States Central Command issued an unusual rebuke: The remarks from the British official — Maj. Gen. Chris Ghika, who is also the deputy commander of the American-led coalition fighting the Islamic State — run “counter to the identified credible threats available to intelligence from U.S. and allies regarding Iranian-backed forces in the region.”

The rare public dispute highlights a central problem for the Trump administration as it seeks to rally allies and global opinion against Iran. On Wednesday, the State Department ordered partial evacuations of the American embassy and a consulate in Iraq, despite skepticism from Iraqi officials over American intelligence showing a heightened risk.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am

But you know he doesn't listen to intelligence ops anyway...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

But you know he doesn't listen to intelligence ops anyway...
Yeah, but this is probably intelligence from Saudi Arabia, Israel and the UAE. That intelligence comes with money being stuffed into the Trump businesses' pockets.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:17 pm

I'm a pro-lifer except in cases of rape, incest, and danger to the mother. The Alabama stuff is pretty disturbing IMO. My sister and mother both are transplants in the Mobile area, and I can say with certitude that Alabama is an ass-backwards state. They have the worst kind of Republicans/conservatives.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:56 pm

They (along other states) are also voting against providing more healthcare options/funding to young children (healthy or disabled).

So they're forcing you to give birth to a child that you don't want, and then won't help provide the necessary options to help you care for that child.

Seems barbaric.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:00 pm

They (along other states) are also voting against providing more healthcare options/funding to young children (healthy or disabled).

So they're forcing you to give birth to a child that you don't want, and then won't help provide the necessary options to help you care for that child.
You won't see any disagreement from me regarding healthcare for children, anyway.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Seems barbaric.
That’ll teach those heathens to stop fornicating.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm

These abortion laws should at least be coupled with things like: how about also helping to decrease the liklihood of pregnancies and better support for mother's? Mandatory sex education in schools (not abstinence only), affordable and easy to access birth control, better education on consent, getting rid of laws that allow rapists to sue for custody, better maternity leave, etc etc.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Big nugget from the Quinnipiac Pennsylvania poll:

Biden leads Trump 58-38 among voters 65+. Trump won these voters in PA by 10 points in 2016.
https://t.co/wKJ2wSFaxO

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Alabama passed a bill banning abortions, which could have punishments up to 99 years in prison for the woman, no exceptions.

Kinda sad when, if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, the woman may get a harsher punishment than the rapist if she chooses abortion over having to give birth to a rape baby.
Think it's the doctor who gets the punishment, not the woman.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Seems barbaric.
I won't get into an argument on this because I'm a troglodyte, but having worked and supported a lot of crisis pregnancy centers the amount of food, gear, furniture, diapers, formula, etc... I've personally handed out is more than I can count, let alone that they gave out to other people.

This asinine canard that pro-life people don't care about "post-womb" children because we don't support government programs makes me physically ill.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Pretty small island you've put yourself on, I think.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 15, 2019 2:25 pm

god fearing people tend to vote for candidates who support less social services and less accessible health care. i don't think that's disputable. this is where the "evangelicals don't care about born babies" comes from - fair or unfair.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 15, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm on an even smaller island than one could imagine.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:36 pm

I'd echo Freddy in how much food, diapers, clothing, etc. churches tend to give away.
Having said that, if the government is changing law to force you into having an unwanted child, the government should be guaranteeing support for that child. I understand that the money for those programs would come from taxpayers, but this is as stupid as Repeal & Replace because they never got past the first step in their thinking.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm

god fearing people tend to vote for candidates who support less social services and less accessible health care. i don't think that's disputable. this is where the "evangelicals don't care about born babies" comes from - fair or unfair.
It’s also an argument used by the uneducated.

Less government social services does not mean people are advocating to not help others.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 pm

I think it's slightly dumber than repeal/replace, because in most instances (from what I can tell), the vote to increase funding toward early childhood healthcare occurs on the same day or soon after the abortion ban votes.

It's an active decision to vote against the funding. They know exactly what they're doing.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Why would Putin want his puppet to attack Iran?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 15, 2019 3:10 pm

I won't get into an argument on this because I'm a troglodyte, but having worked and supported a lot of crisis pregnancy centers the amount of food, gear, furniture, diapers, formula, etc... I've personally handed out is more than I can count, let alone that they gave out to other people.

This asinine canard that pro-life people don't care about "post-womb" children because we don't support government programs makes me physically ill.
I agree that this line of criticism is frequently deployed and is largely ridiculous. But I would just ask what your characterization of pro-choice people is?

We've seen terms like "abortion on demand" used frequently, and also that supporting access to abortion as equivalent to infanticide.

Would you agree that supporting abortion could be on a rational ground?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm

I am not looking for someone who is "controversial" or "wants to fight the GOP." I want someone who will advance policies I believe in and understands political power like Mitch McConnell does.
Is there anyone who fits that bill, announced candidate or not?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 pm

HRC.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm

absolutely not