Politics And Current Events

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 am

G preaches that taxation is slavery - but defends those who fought to preserve actual chattel slavery...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/trump-s ... e-win.html

I'm 100% sure that Trump does not understand the relationship between inflation and interest rates. I mean, I think it's even generous to think that Trump knows what inflation is.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/trump-s ... e-win.html

I'm 100% sure that Trump does not understand the relationship between inflation and interest rates. I mean, I think it's even generous to think that Trump knows what inflation is.
I like how Trump whines constantly about China not playing fair, how they're cheating other countries, they're bad actors for the way they manipulate currency, etc. then essentially tweets that we should do the same thing.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 am

G preaches that taxation is slavery - but defends those who fought to preserve actual chattel slavery...
"Hey, maybe not slaughtering a hundred thousand men in the field is not a good idea"

"Why are you defending chattel slavery?"

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue May 14, 2019 6:20 pm

"Why are you defending chattel slavery?"
And treason...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Personally, I might have been for capital treason trials for high officers and civilian leaders of the Confederacy, with lower ranking officers and enlisted men subject to property forfeiture/fines. Anyone who owned a slave should have been made to surrender his property to be divided among all freedmen.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm

maybe the civil war should have just ended with a break up of the USA. I would rather not care about what these southern states are doing.
Or maybe it should have ended with the executions of all who freely served the Confederacy, and with 40 acres and a mule being the actual fate of Dixie.
My family was Confederate at least by location. North and South Carolina.

WK wishes me gone from the USA. :(

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Mass executions. Seems legit. I'm sure that would've gone perfectly to script.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Cool. My ggg-grandfather fought for the PA Cavalry. Another contentious issue that does not affect me. *whew*

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue May 14, 2019 10:13 pm

WK wishes me gone from the USA. :(
Mass executions. Seems legit. I'm sure that would've gone perfectly to script.
I was responding to Troy suggesting that after winning the war, suffering 3/4 million Union casualties, we should have just let the south have their way. Plus, that post was mostly for G. See my last post for my real opinion.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Cool. My ggg-grandfather fought for the PA Cavalry. Another contentious issue that does not affect me. *whew*
The only remnant left in my immediate family is a $50 confederate bill in tatters.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Biden's problems are all on his left, especially as they continue to mine audio/video of all the stuff he's said in a 40 year career in public office.
You don’t need to mine what he said in the 80s; what he’s saying today is enough to disqualify him imo.
What is he saying that disqualifies him today? I'm open to changing my vote.
In New Hampshire, Joe Biden predicts that once President Trump is out of office, Republicans will have “an epiphany” and work with Democrats toward consensus.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Alabama passed a bill banning abortions, which could have punishments up to 99 years in prison for the woman, no exceptions.

Kinda sad when, if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, the woman may get a harsher punishment than the rapist if she chooses abortion over having to give birth to a rape baby.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 14, 2019 11:20 pm

What was Factorial doing in New Hampshire?
NH voter to Biden today: "I have a very severe case of what's called Trump Derangement Syndrome... He won [the election] because he had help by the Russians.... I don't want to live in a country run by Vladimir Putin. He is an illegitimate president"

Biden: "I absolutely agree"

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1128 ... 27266?s=19

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 am

Alabama passed a bill banning abortions, which could have punishments up to 99 years in prison for the woman, no exceptions.

Kinda sad when, if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, the woman may get a harsher punishment than the rapist if she chooses abortion over having to give birth to a rape baby.
Hmmmm, so how can I blame liberals for this?....

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 am

State Dept. orders the departure of non-emergency government employees from the US Embassy in Baghdad and the US Consulate in Erbil, Iraq, and normal visa services to be temporarily suspended at both posts.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 am

The North remembers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 am

It's odd to see anti-abortion legislation...I really didn't think we would walking those stakes back...

I'm not an abortion fan, per se...but, reasonably, I think you get to make the call on the tumor growing inside you...plus, it jives nicely with my staunch de-population stance...realistically, anything within the 18th trimester is fair game...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am

It's odd to see anti-abortion legislation...I really didn't think we would walking those stakes back...

I'm not an abortion fan, per se...but, reasonably, I think you get to make the call on the tumor growing inside you...plus, it jives nicely with my staunch de-population stance...realistically, anything within the 18th trimester is fair game...
This law was designed to go to the Supreme Court. The whole things was once we got all these radical Catholics on the Supreme Court, they would strike down roe v wade. Which I guess would then allow states to outlaw the procedure. Which goes back to my point about the civil war, where It would be better to just let those lunatics have their own country.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am

Nothing is more American than seceding from the Union...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am

Troy, I don't know what you're talking about Roe V Wade is settled law :rolleyes:
It's not like 9 states have passed restrictive legislation after the Kavanaugh hearings with another 5 in process.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am

Troy, I don't know what you're talking about Roe V Wade is settled law :rolleyes:
It's not like 9 states have passed restrictive legislation after the Kavanaugh hearings with another 5 in process.
Yeah, apparently Breyer shot out some warning shots last week about the conservative justices all siding to overrule a 40 year precedent on some non-politically charged issue.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am

Biden's problems are all on his left, especially as they continue to mine audio/video of all the stuff he's said in a 40 year career in public office.
You don’t need to mine what he said in the 80s; what he’s saying today is enough to disqualify him imo.
What is he saying that disqualifies him today? I'm open to changing my vote.
In New Hampshire, Joe Biden predicts that once President Trump is out of office, Republicans will have “an epiphany” and work with Democrats toward consensus.
So you're looking for a more controversial candidate who wants to fight the GOP? AKA The Bern?

I think it's wishful thinking about getting along with the GOP and is meant to attract moderates, right of center not-Trumpers. My republican parents already said they would vote for Biden against Trump so I think he needs to keep them in mind.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 am

What was Factorial doing in New Hampshire?
NH voter to Biden today: "I have a very severe case of what's called Trump Derangement Syndrome... He won [the election] because he had help by the Russians.... I don't want to live in a country run by Vladimir Putin. He is an illegitimate president"

Biden: "I absolutely agree"

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1128 ... 27266?s=19
I'm registered to vote both there and in PA. ;)