Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 06, 2019 1:37 pm

So where does Troy stand on people trying to break into Tucker Carlson's house and scaring his wife and kids?

Or is the whataboutism game over?
Were they trying to steal his bowties?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm

This woman was literally just standing there praying the rosary.
I agree with shmenguin here... dude is a knob for his actions, but the quoted portion above from shad is the issue. Have you ever walked past the planned parenthood downtown in Pittsburgh? I have never even gone in there, but I feel uncomfortable because of the people standing out front yelling at everyone. I would be willing to eat tif's hat if she in fact only goes to planned parenthood daily/weekly/whatever and participates in the protests by "just standing there praying the rosary".
whether she's yelling at these women, or she's just standing there looking sad, she should go home. she's not accomplishing anything other than plastering an additional layer of pain on a situation that has no use for it. knob's are gonna knob. but this is also a plant/grow corn situation. unless this is the "old people are infallible" thing that was applied to Bush senior being an alleged pervert.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm

So where does Troy stand on people trying to break into Tucker Carlson's house and scaring his wife and kids?

I don't think any type of personal destruction should be accepted. Peacefully protesting without intent to harm should always be accepted. What Antifa did was disgusting.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 06, 2019 1:40 pm

I don't either.

We have an odd need to bring up someone else's bad behavior when talking about someone else's bad behavior. These things can be talked about individually.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm

I agree with shmenguin here... dude is a knob for his actions, but the quoted portion above from shad is the issue. Have you ever walked past the planned parenthood downtown in Pittsburgh? I have never even gone in there, but I feel uncomfortable because of the people standing out front yelling at everyone. I would be willing to eat tif's hat if she in fact only goes to planned parenthood daily/weekly/whatever and participates in the protests by "just standing there praying the rosary".
whether she's yelling at these women, or she's just standing there looking sad, she should go home. she's not accomplishing anything other than plastering an additional layer of pain on a situation that has no use for it. knob's are gonna knob. but this is also a plant/grow corn situation. unless this is the "old people are infallible" thing that was applied to Bush senior being an alleged pervert.

So protesting doesn’t accomplish anything?

Looks like in this situation they accomplished something. They got a fellow intolerant, bigoted jackass to harass them.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 06, 2019 1:42 pm

I agree. Even the restaurant staff, that protesting harmed the actual business, aimed at harming a person who was a customer there.

Same with people filling up restaurants and businesses with the Rose stuff here in Pittsburgh. There's a way to peacefully protest, and that technically toed the line, I personally don't like it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 06, 2019 1:43 pm

I suppose that's where we differ. If she was indeed going there to pray... whatever. But I'm pretty sure the way prayer works, it doesn't really matter where you're doing your prayer, it has the same effect. So to your point, yeah, she's not accomplishing anything, but I don't think she's hurting anything either relative to the others that are typically at these facilities. But, like I said, I'll eat tif's hat if she indeed only goes, prays, and leaves.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm

So protesting doesn’t accomplish anything?

Looks like in this situation they accomplished something. They got a fellow intolerant, bigoted jackass to harass them.
That ended up being detrimental to the lady's cause if she was protesting. Because she was being protested against, she felt uncomfortable and left, but the veiled "she was just holding the rosemary." I would have been interested had an actual woman walked past or inside if she would say anything.

To C2Is point above, I've only ever seen them show graphic images and hand out pamphlets, never having a need for it, never really seemed that intrusive to me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Peacefully protesting without intent to harm should always be accepted
"accepted" how? i don't accept "god hates nanners" protests. if i was the type to go out and buy poster board and magic markers, i might head out to one of these events and "unaccept" them. WBC is an extreme case, but counter protesting isn't illegal. and there's nothing wrong with it - provided it's peaceful of course.

i think you're saying don't chase people down the street with a camera...but even that isn't really protected.

not sure what you're saying actually, other than stay peaceful

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 pm

But, like I said, I'll eat tif's hat if she indeed only goes, prays, and leaves.
Did @tifosi77 ever eat that hat or at least food that looks like a hat?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 pm

"accepted" how? i don't accept "god hates nanners" protests. if i was the type to go out and buy poster board and magic markers, i might head out to one of these events and "unaccept" them. WBC is an extreme case, but counter protesting isn't illegal. and there's nothing wrong with it - provided it's peaceful of course.

i think you're saying don't chase people down the street with a camera...but even that isn't really protected.

I think it’s obvious he is saying accepted as in that it is their right to do it, not accepting their message.

One should always defend the right, even if the message isn’t something you believe in.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 pm

But, like I said, I'll eat tif's hat if she indeed only goes, prays, and leaves.
Did tifosi77 ever eat that hat or at least food that looks like a hat?
He did not, and therefor cannot be taken seriously as a man of his word in any respect.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 06, 2019 1:49 pm

I don't even remember what the topic was that he was going to eat his hat over.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 1:49 pm

I suppose that's where we differ. If she was indeed going there to pray... whatever. But I'm pretty sure the way prayer works, it doesn't really matter where you're doing your prayer, it has the same effect. So to your point, yeah, she's not accomplishing anything, but I don't think she's hurting anything either relative to the others that are typically at these facilities. But, like I said, I'll eat tif's hat if she indeed only goes, prays, and leaves.
this isn't unreasonable. i just disagree with how emotionally benign you're painting this profile as.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm

I don't care, just like I didn't care when people yelled at Ted Cruz, SHS and Mayor Pete. Or would you prefer a different answer that would continue the whattaboutism sequence?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't care, just like I didn't care when people yelled at Ted Cruz, SHS and Mayor Pete. Or would you prefer a different answer that would continue the whattaboutism sequence?
So you support vandalism?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm

this thread is something else

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't even remember what the topic was that he was going to eat his hat over.
Nice to see that there are some sane people left on the planet.
I think I'd wait to see what Senator Heller defines as a "consensus candidate" before I'd make that statement. There are plenty of judges that President Obama could nominate that the Senate Republicans would vote for, but whether Obama would be willing to nominate any of them in the first place is another question entirely (and the converse certainly applies).
It's pretty easy. Take any of the Circuit Court judges Obama has nominated in the past 7 years that garnered, say, 75 or more votes and were confirmed. That universe of judges falls pretty easily into "consensus" bucket subject to any wacky opinions since confirmation.
I'll keep saying it til I'm blue in the face, but if the nominee is someone other than Sri Srinivasan I'll eat a hat.

Confirmed 97-0 three years ago to the federal circuit Court of Appeals, including votes from Cruz and Rubio; has worked for R and D presidents; has litigated cases from both sides of the political spectrum; has established a reputation for pragmatism over ideology.
SCOTUS non-nominee Sri Srinivasan.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 pm

SCOTUS non-nominee Sri Srinivasan.

:thumb:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm

TL: I don't care when people are yelled at
Grunt: So you support vandalism?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 pm

The Tucker Carlson incident was disgusting, but I still don't care.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 06, 2019 2:20 pm

I think it’s obvious he is saying accepted as in that it is their right to do it, not accepting their message.

One should always defend the right, even if the message isn’t something you believe in.
This is what I was saying. The message doesn't matter. You can protest abortions or something, and I can think you're an idiot, but you're well within reason to do it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 06, 2019 2:25 pm

this thread is something else
I usually enjoy the nobody v TL banter

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm

This is what I was saying. The message doesn't matter. You can protest abortions or something, and I can think you're an idiot, but you're well within reason to do it.
not well within reason. well within legal right.

but sure. they should all be "accepted" in that they should not have violence inflicted on them or their property. i think everyone here agrees with that...even though i imagine that we could push this more towards fringe behavior and find people with a "so and so should have their face punched in" opinion.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm

TL: I don't care when people are yelled at
Grunt: So you support vandalism?
He said I don’t care in relation to Carlson. His house had its door and other things broken or vandalized.