Politics And Current Events

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Is there one of him flossing?

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 pm

"I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it much faster," President Trump says of his national emergency declaration.

its unreal how much stupid is happening right now
Can't wait for the mass-outrage when Healthcare or something gets considered a national emergency and everyone will forget about what is being said in this conference today.
There were republican senators quoted saying that they were against this emergency because they didn't want the Dems to take the oval office and declare something like "climate change" a national emergency. So it is definitely on their minds. [edit: I see a missed a page and this was mentioned 10 times already haha]

Also, McConnel is so spineless.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Collins is the perfect play for that. The Republican Sens are happy to speak tough, but when it comes time to vote - they fall in line.

It's why Collins was "ready to believe" that Kavanaugh wouldn't do anything to Roe Vs. Wade prior to vote. Then when something Roe Vs. Wade came up after he was in, she started talking tough again. The dog and pony show partisan nonsense from either side is dumb.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Here's an example of how dumb politics have gotten today. Not that anyone needs any further evidence.

I'm treasurer of a county judge campaign and part of the advisory board. I repeat, county judge. Running as an R. The brochure we had designed says something simple like "Your choice for integrity and experience." The consulting group we hired suggested changing the tagline to "against illegal immigration."

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/ ... ze-1171831

So this definitely did not happen right?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Here's an example of how dumb politics have gotten today. Not that anyone needs any further evidence.

I'm treasurer of a county judge campaign and part of the advisory board. I repeat, county judge. Running as an R. The brochure we had designed says something simple like "Your choice for integrity and experience." The consulting group we hired suggested changing the tagline to "against illegal immigration."
Make Mercer County Great Again.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm

“I like him a lot, and he likes me a lot,” the president said. [said about Kim Jong Un]

Dear lord.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Make Mercer County Great Again.
I made a unilateral decision to change it to Keep Mercer County the GOAT (with goat emoji)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:48 pm

“I like him a lot, and he likes me a lot,” the president said. [said about Kim Jong Un]

Dear lord.
I think he's mixing up the South Korean PM with the Japanese PM, and also that saying "Donald Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize" is not the same as nominating someone.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 pm

To me, that's exactly what the Republican's want and has been the thinking all this time, and it's how they get away with what they get away with.

That's holding one side to a higher standard than to the other, while knowingly dipping into the deep end to get what you want. It's exactly to me why the Dems continually lose things because they are not willing to play by Republican rules.
:thumb:
Who exactly got rid of the filibuster for Federal judges?

And who said, "I have a pen and a phone".

I'll hang up and listen...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm

To me, that's exactly what the Republican's want and has been the thinking all this time, and it's how they get away with what they get away with.

That's holding one side to a higher standard than to the other, while knowingly dipping into the deep end to get what you want. It's exactly to me why the Dems continually lose things because they are not willing to play by Republican rules.

In response to McConnell refusing to confirm judges.

What was the precedent for refusing all judicial appointments?

I'll hang up and listen.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Is there one of him flossing?
I gotchu, fam

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:55 pm

In response to McConnell refusing to confirm judges.

What was the precedent for refusing all judicial appointments?

I'll hang up and listen.
So it is okay to change norms when you can't get what you want?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:57 pm

I honestly don't care. It's just obviously disingenuous to cite Reid's actions without context.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm

The point here is that it wasn't okay for Reid, for the same reasons it's not okay for Trump, and in both cases the standard will come back to haunt them. And there have been oodles of times where the Senate has stonewalled judges throughout American history for myriads of reasons.

And the vast, vast majority of "Republicans" have written op-eds against what Trump did this morning. A couple of examples:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/t ... emergency/

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/rep ... claration/

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/ ... 92129?s=19

https://thebulwark.com/five-reasons-the ... e-of-time/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm

I mean it's great that you've got writers saying this is a bad move, but then you've got people who actually call the shots and reign in the president just bowing down.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Also in regards to "And who said, "I have a pen and a phone"."
What makes this different is that it isn't an emergency.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Still more exciting twists and turns for everyone to debate

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/entertai ... index.html
Two suspects have been arrested in connection to an attack reported by "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, Chicago Police Department said Friday.

The men arrested were the same men that police previously said were being viewed as "potential suspects," according to Tom Ahern, Chicago police communications deputy director.
They have not been charged.
Earlier Friday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said two Nigerian brothers were being treated as "potential suspects" and that detectives had "probable cause that they may have been involved in an alleged crime."
Police did not say at that time precisely what the brothers were accused of or what the alleged crime might have been.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/ ... ominations

The GOP was abusing the filibuster.
Until now, 60 votes have been required to lift or avoid a filibuster. Under the new rules, a simple majority of 51 would suffice. The new measure would not apply to supreme court nominees. "It's an undeniable fact that the obstruction we've seen in recent years is altogether new," Reid said after the vote.

Republicans have used the filibuster three times in November, to prevent confirmation votes on judges nominated by Barack Obama to fill vacancies on the US appeals court for the Washington DC circuit. Reid said that of 128 filibusters of nominees in the history of the Senate, half had occurred during the Obama administration.

In an appearance at the White House Thursday, Obama said he "welcomed" the rules change, which he said was needed to fix an "unprecedented pattern of obstruction in Congress."

"A simple majority vote no longer seems to be sufficient for anything, even routine business, in what is supposed to be the world's foremost deliberative body," Obama said. "Today's pattern of obstruction, it just isn't' normal, it's not what our founders envisioned."

Obama said nearly 30 presidential nominees to executive positions had been filibustered during his presidency, compared with 20 such cases previously in history. "In each of these cases it's not been because they opposed the person... it was simply because they opposed the policies the American people voted for in the last election," Obama said. "

Reid's move came after months of warnings by the Democratic majority in the Senate that it would resort to a rules change if Republicans refused to allow confirmation votes. As the majority party in the Senate, Democrats would be able to make the change on a strict party-line vote.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Also in regards to "And who said, "I have a pen and a phone"."
What makes this different is that it isn't an emergency.
What exactly was the emergency that brought forward the pen and phone?

Executive overreach is a both party problem, going back to FDR.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:24 pm

I mean it's great that you've got writers saying this is a bad move, but then you've got people who actually call the shots and reign in the president just bowing down.
Thankfully the courts will halt it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

He seems to think it's going to go to the Supreme Court and he'll win there.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh may be useless cons, but I don't think they're Trump's puppets. I would honestly be shocked if he wins before the Supreme Court.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:31 pm

He seems to think it's going to go to the Supreme Court and he'll win there.
And he's often right about things...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Democrat Senator Kirsten Gillibrand on removing existing border barriers: “I could support it”
https://t.co/t0mm6reOfm

So now that Beto started this are all the Dem candidates going to support taking down the existing walls?