Politics And Current Events

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:12 am

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am

They are covering their ass, imo. This is a VERY high profile story. For ABC Chicago to report that, their source has to be pretty ironclad.
So now we believe the media?

When even the media has to go out of their way to deviate from the juicy narrative, yeah. You honestly think they're going to bother reporting that it WASNT white, red hat wearing, Trump supporters if they didn't have to? Get real.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 am

Yeah, that was a pretty lame gotcha. Whenever one single mainstream media source is going against the grain in terms of the national outrage and coverage, that deservedly should raise some eyebrows.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:06 am

Yeah, because the story from the TV station follows your narrative you immediately believe it? I don't know what happened and don't have a dog in this fight but the Chicago Tribune is reporting this morning:
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi emphasized that the two “are not considered suspects at this time.”

He later characterized as “unconfirmed” a report by WLS-Ch. 7 that the two men had staged the attack with Smollett who, the station said, feared he was being written off “Empire.”

“Media reports (about) the Empire incident being a hoax are unconfirmed by case detectives,” Guglielmi tweeted Thursday evening. “Supt Eddie Johnson has contacted @ABC7Chicago to state on the record that we have no evidence to support their reporting and their supposed CPD sources are uninformed and inaccurate.”
You guys want it both ways. SAD.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:09 am

My disinterest in this story is only amplified by the people who seem interested in it.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 am

This is a real national emergency.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 am

Yeah, because the story from the TV station follows your narrative you immediately believe it? I don't know what happened and don't have a dog in this fight but the Chicago Tribune is reporting this morning:
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi emphasized that the two “are not considered suspects at this time.”

He later characterized as “unconfirmed” a report by WLS-Ch. 7 that the two men had staged the attack with Smollett who, the station said, feared he was being written off “Empire.”

“Media reports (about) the Empire incident being a hoax are unconfirmed by case detectives,” Guglielmi tweeted Thursday evening. “Supt Eddie Johnson has contacted @ABC7Chicago to state on the record that we have no evidence to support their reporting and their supposed CPD sources are uninformed and inaccurate.”
You guys want it both ways. SAD.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

I don't care about if it was staged or not. But the story that it was two white people in red hats attempting to lynch him was blown out of the water. Why it is okay to make up that lie? Don't you people ever get tired of falling for these stories??

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am

My disinterest in this story is only amplified by the people who seem interested in it.

Now that it's once again another bullshit fake hate crime, theres no reason anyone should care about it. Funny how that works. I bet you and the Pod Save America bros of the world were plenty interested a few weeks ago.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 am

Now that it's once again another bullshit fake hate crime, theres no reason anyone should care about it. Funny how that works. I bet you and the Pod Save America bros of the world were plenty interested a few weeks ago.
Is he also an NPC?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 am

Nope, this is the only place I've seen this. Has Cernovich been on top of this story? Seems more in that lane.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 am

I would like to stake out the position that (1) trump and his admin have given cover to white supremacists and other racist sht bums to raise their heads and openly and aggressively profess their stupidity, including through violence and murder and (2) that I will laugh my gd ass off at a report that some dude staged a racist mugging because he was being written off a tv show, confirmed or not

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 am

So, after listening to the American Scandal episodes on Iran-Contra my opinion of all involved is significantly worse, and I didn't think that was possible.
I started listening to this yesterday after you pointed it out. I'm on episode three and have a few comments. One, if you were like me and had only peripheral knowledge of this whole affair, this podcast is a good take. But it is an incredibly top-down approach to history and story telling. This is essentially told through the lens of Bud McFarland, the CIA director and Oliver North. I don't think that wrong, but so much of the context is missing. Also, even just looking at it through the perspectives of these main players, what a bunch of lunatics. Some of the presumptions we are to just accept to follow this narrative, to me, do one thing, justify so many bad acts other nation states have done in their history.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 am

Yeah, that was a pretty lame gotcha. Whenever one single mainstream media source is going against the grain in terms of the national outrage and coverage, that deservedly should raise some eyebrows.
Now I understand. Fox News always goes against the grain so that's why it's followed so well. :mrgreen:

It wasn't a gotcha for arguments sake, it was for humor's sake. Just like the line above. I apologize that it felt otherwise.
I agree that this did not go down the way the "victim" claimed, but I'm not so sure he wasn't a victim of something yet.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 am

I would like to stake out the position that (1) trump and his admin have given cover to white supremacists and other racist sht bums to raise their heads and openly and aggressively profess their stupidity, including through violence and murder and (2) that I will laugh my gd ass off at a report that some dude staged a racist mugging because he was being written off a tv show, confirmed or not
Seems like an appropriate stance.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 am

Nope, this is the only place I've seen this. Has Cernovich been on top of this story? Seems more in that lane.

It was a story every single night for at least a week on NBC Nightly news, among many other places.

But again, the problem here as always is the people who won't just forget it ever happened. It's never the liars fault.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am

So, after listening to the American Scandal episodes on Iran-Contra my opinion of all involved is significantly worse, and I didn't think that was possible.
I started listening to this yesterday after you pointed it out. I'm on episode three and have a few comments. One, if you were like me and had only peripheral knowledge of this whole affair, this podcast is a good take. But it is an incredibly top-down approach to history and story telling. This is essentially told through the lens of Bud McFarland, the CIA director and Oliver North. I don't think that wrong, but so much of the context is missing. Also, even just looking at it through the perspectives of these main players, what a bunch of lunatics. Some of the presumptions we are to just accept to follow this narrative, to me, do one thing, justify so many bad acts other nation states have done in their history.
Correct. I just wrapped up the Exxon Valdez spill, but it's taken mainly from two books written by ecologists and environmental activists or citizens of the sound. You don't get much of a counterpoint. I mainly enjoy it because I like Lindsay Graham's story telling.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:42 am

But again, the problem here as always is the people who won't just forget it ever happened. It's never the liars fault.
Like Michael Bennett?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:42 am

It was a story every single night for at least a week on NBC Nightly news, among many other places.

No, the problem is you assuming that people care because the people that traffic in outrage are outraged about it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 am

Correct. I just wrapped up the Exxon Valdez spill, but it's taken mainly from two books written by ecologists and environmental activists or citizens of the sound. You don't get much of a counterpoint. I mainly enjoy it because I like Lindsay Graham's story telling.
I have trouble taking the reenactment seriously.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am

14 minutes until the national emergency is declared.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:48 am

No, the problem is you assuming that people care because the people that traffic in outrage are outraged about it.
I mean the guy (probably) lied about a hate-crime. Dude should spend some time in prison for that. Is it something that needs to be on a nightly cycle giving us up to the minute updates? Nope.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am

Prison?!

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 am

Here's the trick, imo,
It's totally the dude from Empire's fault for lying about the incident, and I don't know what they can slap the guy with but I'm all for it.
At the same time, I really don't care that much to debate one relatively inconsequential idiot. The Media in most cases is not a detective agency, they report what they can get to easily. This isn't a case where you call in Bob Woodward to investigate for 6 months and then write a Pulitzer worthy investigative piece. You have to run with the story as presented by the only available witness and whatever the CPD gives you.

The next step is I don't know too many people who make a habit of tuning in to the Nightly News. So there's this really interesting situation where we get a lot of our news through social media and our peers (Did you hear about...). So if you follow the people I do on twitter or on Facebook you might have heard about the story once, and then heard about the flaws once. My media bubble actually skews the other way, I'd have heard the attack once, and 15 people sharing the holes in his story.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 am

I have trouble taking the reenactment seriously.
:mrgreen:

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am

Hate crime legislation as a doctrine is dumb to begin with. If there is proof that people are staging hate crimes to advance an agenda then that's even more incentive to abolish its use.

That said, I can only thing of two allegations of false hate crimes off the top of my head so I can't imagine it's a very prolific issue worth putting resources towards eradicating as a matter of public policy