Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:26 pm

STOP SHOVING HER DOWN MY THROAT!
Don’t like to see a woman get fame? Didn’t know you were a sexist.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Day 1 of kindergarten they force you to share... Don Jr is spot on.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 pm

:lol:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 pm

I am a buyer of the concept of high-speed rail for certain routes. Mostly the type of distance that could be covered by a regional jet for air travel, call it 2-hour flights, or thereabouts. When you take into account various airport-related shenanigans you have to deal with, the 50-minute flight from LAX-SFO involves a time commitment that's really between 2 and 3 hours. That's around the estimated time the CA HSR project was aiming for, for half the ticket price.
I don't necessarily disagree, but it would still require thousands of miles of track to cover even relatively close cities. One of the reasons that the shinkansen works so well in Japan is the local geography. Most of the flat land in Japan is on the southern/western Pacific coast, and that's also where the major cities are located. While there are a couple branch lines such as the Jōetsu Shinkansen, and sections of the overall line are given different names and under the control of different branches of Japan Rail, for the most part high-speed rail in Japan is a single continuous line that runs from shin-Hakodate in the north to Kagoshima in the south. Giving a quick look, I think of the 15 biggest cities, Chiba might be the only one that doesn't have direct shinkansen access, but it's got an express train that runs right to Tokyo station. You can get to the majority of Japan's major cities on that single line of track. Connecting the ten biggest US cities by rail lines would look like a spiderweb.

Also, the congested areas in the US where rail might make sense (such as the east-coast corridor and SD to LA to SF) are also the places where land values are highest and the resistance to industrial development would be the most intense.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 pm

I’m not familiar with the costs associated with it... what order of magnitude would it cost to connect something like Boston, DC, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Denver, LA, and maybe something in the northwest via high speed train? Billions? Trillions?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm

If people riot over a pipeline that takes up 1/4 of the space and does not have associated noise pollution?

Btw, I post a story about Amy Klubachar making aides shave her legs and it gets no traction?

#toxicmasculinity

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

I’m not familiar with the costs associated with it... what order of magnitude would it cost to connect something like Boston, DC, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Denver, LA, and maybe something in the northwest via high speed train? Billions? Trillions?
For reference, the bit they are continuing on with in CA will connect Bakersfield and Merced. $10 billion for ~120 miles. The full network as envisioned would've been 800 track-miles and cost around $80 billion.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 pm

How is China so good at it?

Slave labor and government force.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 pm

“You don’t have to be indoctrinated by these loser teachers.” Tell the people what they want to hear.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm

So hire the illegals to build high speed rail.

#2birds1stone

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 pm

“You don’t have to be indoctrinated by these loser teachers.” Tell the people uneducated idiots what they want to hear.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 pm

#2birds1stone
As long as they sing songs, like The Camptown Ladies.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 pm

#2birds1stone
Ironically that's how the Union Pacific was built...

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 am

I guess people aren’t going to talk about how Trump is getting the wall built and will avoid another government shutdown? Or will everyone just keep complaining about him still?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 am

No you make a great point ned, he did a gr8 job with the wall and there are no reasons to complain about the guy. might as well lock this thread.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 am

I'd say it would approach 100 billion dollar mark. The shinkansen that Shyster mentioned earlier was reported to have a project that was approaching this cost (although in Japan, the cost for safety is much greater than it is in the States...in other words, they'll pay an extra 20% for a system that is 1% more safe).

China's rail system came to life when their economy took off. Yes, cheap labor helps but when I rode the system, I thought to myself there is no way a project this massive would ever work in the US. The amount of tunnels alone would throw the cost of a similar domestic system into the stratosphere.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

"Trump is getting the wall built" - you mean a continuation of what was being built under Obama, and not actually his version in mind at all?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 am

I'd say it would approach 100 billion dollar mark. The shinkansen that Shyster mentioned earlier was reported to have a project that was approaching this cost (although in Japan, the cost for safety is much greater than it is in the States...in other words, they'll pay an extra 20% for a system that is 1% more safe).

China's rail system came to life when their economy took off. Yes, cheap labor helps but when I rode the system, I thought to myself there is no way a project this massive would ever work in the US. The amount of tunnels alone would throw the cost of a similar domestic system into the stratosphere.
As was noted above the cost, envisioned as it was, of the California train was $80 Billion.

I'd add at least a zero, if not T to that cost.

I've ridden the shinkansen and, while it was nice and fun, going from Hiroshima to Tokyo, the cost was about the same as if I flew from Hiroshima to Tokyo, and took 3 more hours.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am

I think you’re underestimating the cost by a just a little....

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:27 am

"Trump is getting the wall built" - you mean a continuation of what was being built under Obama, and not actually his version in mind at all?
Like Trump and his wall, NN is all bluster.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

Trump's failure to get his wall is a huge stain on his legacy. :pop:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

Don Jr. is the best.
He should just work for TP USA.

Also, after watching Succession, I think that Trump Jr is basically mashup of the three sons in that show.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 am

Like Trump and his wall, NN is all bluster.
Shut er dahn for 5 weeks because they only offered $1.6B. Now signing for $1.3B. Art of the Deal.