Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:29 pm

The senate needs 60 votes for this issue, so since the Dems were never interested in negotiating any type of solution on immigration for the first two years, yes they deserve some blame.
And for some reason it wasn’t an emergency during those first two years that the government needed shutdown over it... odd.
Haha, I remember FR AND grunty (probably Shaf too) saying all the time about "why didn't Obama do it when he had all three branches of government?". :D Specifically, FR talking about closing Gitmo.
Obama actually had a super majority and could do whatever he wanted for about 9 months.
And he spent that time trying to help Democrats get their act together to insure 18 million people.
Lol by bribing democrats, causing healthcare monopolies, and another path to fiscal instability.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Ann Coulter is not happy. Be prepared for another shutdown in 3 weeks

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Love just love this thread...

Exchange the word "wall" with "gun", and EVERYBODY'S argument falls on it's a$$.

Cognitive dissonance is a helluva drug, I guess.
Hey man... I’ve got a constitutional right to no border wall.
:thumb:

Border wall debate:

The left - A border wall won't stop illegal immigration. Maybe a little, but not enough to be meaningful and it doesn't justify the expense or the imposition on other people.

The right - But if it SAVES ONE LIFE it totally justifies the imposition on every other person.

Gun control debate:

The right - Gun control won't stop murders. Maybe a little but not enough to be meaningful and it doesn't justify the imposition on other people.

The left - But if it SAVES ONE LIFE it totally justifies the imposition on every other person.

When you work from a logically consistent foundation (self-ownership):

"Border debate" - People have a right to their life, their freedom, and their property. Ergo, People have a right to move around the planet as long as they do not create an imposition on the lives, freedom and property of other people. So, "border barriers" are an immoral imposition on the right of people to free movement.

"Gun debate" - People have a right to their life, their freedom and their property. Ergo, they have a right to defend their lives from assault and thus they have the right to possess the means to defend their lives as long as they do not create an imposition on the lives, freedom and property of other people. So, "gun control" is an immoral imposition on the right of people to defend their lives.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:57 pm

TIL Grunts gets a super lot of breaks at work.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Typical lazy government worker.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm

TIL Grunts gets a super lot of breaks at work.
I don’t take a lunch so I I use my time from that.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:04 pm

I’m curious, just in general, regardless of political leaning, how do people feel about the current state of political affairs in the US and in the world in general?

Not specific to if you like the US president or how you feel about the shutdown specifically or anything like that. Just, in general, over the last 10 or so years

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:18 pm

I think things are incredibly stable which allows the superficial issues to be blown up to 'END OF WORLD!!!111' status which causes a lot of people to lose perspective. A day or two ago someone was lamenting the rise of conservative domestic terrorists here in the US and my immediate thought was 'here is someone born before The Troubles in Ireland'. Same with crime. It's historically low. The US is an incredibly safe place to live. But the amplification of isolated events by social media makes everything seem like a war zone.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:34 pm

I think things are incredibly stable which allows the superficial issues to be blown up to 'END OF WORLD!!!111' status which causes a lot of people to lose perspective. A day or two ago someone was lamenting the rise of conservative domestic terrorists here in the US and my immediate thought was 'here is someone born before The Troubles in Ireland'. Same with crime. It's historically low. The US is an incredibly safe place to live. But the amplification of isolated events by social media makes everything seem like a war zone.
Yes and no.
Part of that stability is that the political process has become a gong show, both sides get dug in, and nothing gets done. For now, that might be ok. The only pressing thing at the moment feels like climate change, and what to do about it. In the near future, though, the increased automation is going to eliminate a fair number of jobs and we're going to start talking about things like UBI, or some other option fairly seriously. I worry about how this political climate will handle these real crisis.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Agreed on the lack of historical perspective. For example, today's rare acts of domestic terrorism pale in comparison to the domestic bombings and other terrorism of the late 60s and early 70s, much if not most of it committed by left-wing groups like the Weather Underground, the New World Liberation Front, and the Symbionese Liberation Army. Those groups committed thousands of domestic bombings—more than 2,500 in 1971 and 1972 alone[1]. People also forget how common things like domestic airline hijackings used to be. Between 1968 and 1972, more than 130 American airplanes were hijacked, and many of those hijackings were politically motivated.[2] The remarkable thing about today's political climate is that the high levels of disagreement have for the most part not devolved into violence.

[1] http://time.com/4501670/bombings-of-america-burrough/
[2] https://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/11326472/ ... s-egyptair

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:50 pm

The only pressing thing at the moment feels like climate change, and what to do about it. In the near future, though, the increased automation is going to eliminate a fair number of jobs and we're going to start talking about things like UBI, or some other option fairly seriously. I worry about how this political climate will handle these real crisis.
Same here. This has been my biggest hang up, substantively, about Trump from day 1. All the clownshoes stuff notwithstanding, he's just manifestly not up to that kind of challenge.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Social media makes everything exponentially more difficult. Every decision by everyone is under the microscope, mostly by morons that don't know a whole lot about a whole lot. My buddy in DC put it this way, besides maybe sports, what other job has every decision second guessed by millions? And second guessed by people who are far from experts.. Even if I was doing my best, if everyone questioned everything I did at my current job, it certainly wouldn't help things.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:41 pm

Oh, so you're not doing your best, huh? SHAME.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

:lol:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Ann Coulter on the twitters
Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:55 pm

**** her

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Sick burn.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Many Are Getting Arrested

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Best headline I have seen today: "Unpaid FBI Workers Show Up To Work, Arrest Roger Stone"

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm

I’m curious, just in general, regardless of political leaning, how do people feel about the current state of political affairs in the US and in the world in general?

Not specific to if you like the US president or how you feel about the shutdown specifically or anything like that. Just, in general, over the last 10 or so years
Income inequality and climate change are going to push the world into conflict. History is rife with conflict, I think it’s just a matter of when we reach the tipping point.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 pm

This kind of stuff just further feeds the problem.

During the shutdown - 'Trump needs to stop being selfish and work with the democrats. It's his fault we're shut down'
After - 'He caved! What a loser!'

This country has lost all ability for either side to even somewhat positively acknowledge anything the other side has done. It's all us vs. them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Best headline I have seen today: "Unpaid FBI Workers Show Up To Work, Arrest Roger Stone"

Okay, "Grab Trump by the Posse" is good too.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Okay, "Grab Trump by the Posse" is good too.
:thumb: :thumb:

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 pm

“Thank you to the Republican National Committee, (the RNC), who voted UNANIMOUSLY yesterday to support me in the upcoming 2020 Election. Considering that we have done more than any Administration in the first two years, this should be easy. More great things now in the works!”

He’s not wrong. Hate it or love it, I guarantee Trump is re-elected.

Seeing Bernie throw his hat in the ring further solidified this in my eyes. Just give up, dude. It’s not going to happen. But thanks for taking votes away from other realistic candidates.