Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm

I guess I'm not sure how this turns out bad for Warren... the original story of this came out that her family stories were that her family was native american. She didn't claim grandmother or great grandmother or anything like that, said back numerous generations. She gets DNA tested and the DNA tests say 6-10 generations back were native american, and yet it's still a gotcha moment?

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is her identifying herself as native american on forms when she had no proof that she was.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:00 pm

And for those who think the plight facing men today is greater than what women face, ask yourself this: If you had a child, would you worry more about the issues a male or a female would face as s/he grows up?
That's the old joke, right. If you have a son, you only have to worry about one penis. If you have a daughter, you have to worry about all of them.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 pm

It's definitely weird that she identified as native american, but it does seem like this DNA test is in response to the official position of the GOP that she is not a Native American. So, it's basically just the Obama birth certificate, but stupider.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm

I guess I'm not sure how this turns out bad for Warren... the original story of this came out that her family stories were that her family was native american. She didn't claim grandmother or great grandmother or anything like that, said back numerous generations. She gets DNA tested and the DNA tests say 6-10 generations back were native american, and yet it's still a gotcha moment?

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is her identifying herself as native american on forms when she had no proof that she was.
And from what I understand, none of the institutions where she worked and identified as Native American said it was a factor in hiring her.

I don't like her and would not support her as a candidate (she's far too narrow in her focus/expertise), but the extent to which people clamor around this story is very surprising to me.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:04 pm

She still has no proof that she has any Native American. Having the genetic markers doesn’t mean you actually are. No Native American tribe would ever consider her to be it at all.
Last edited by grunthy on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 pm

And from what I understand, none of the institutions where she worked and identified as Native American said it was a factor in hiring her.

I don't like her and would not support her as a candidate (she's far too narrow in her focus/expertise), but the extent to which people clamor around this story is very surprising to me.

Except the institutions promoted it as if they had diversity because she was “Native American.”

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 pm

I don't have a dog in the fight, just chiming in due to my interest in genealogy. Having a single ancestor 6-10 generations back be a minority and then promoting yourself as a professor of that ethnicity, as Harvard did on her behalf, it comes across as strange and opportunistic. She one an award in 1994 at Penn that was meant for minority recipients. Ehhh.

There are no hard fast rules here so I'm not alleging any wrongdoing, particularly in her current capacity. I know if I was Native American, like my step-mother and her family, and I signed up for a college class where being a Native American professor was important enough for it to be promoted I would be a bit pissed if someone like Warren showed up.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm

I don't have a dog in the fight, just chiming in due to my interest in genealogy. Having a single ancestor 6-10 generations back be a minority and then promoting yourself as a professor of that ethnicity, as Harvard did on her behalf, it comes across as strange and opportunistic. She one an award in 1994 at Penn that was meant for minority recipients. Ehhh.

There are no hard fast rules here so I'm not alleging any wrongdoing, particularly in here current capacity. I know if I was Native American, like my step-mother and her family, and I signed up for a college class where being a Native American professor was important enough for it to be promoted I would be a bit pissed if someone like Warren showed up.
Absolutely agreed.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:12 pm

#whitepriveledge

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Did Elizabeth Warren only check the Native American box? My wife’s biological father immigrated from the Philippines, and both she and our children check both Caucasian and Pacific Islander on ethnicity questions. Those forms usually ask to check all that apply.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:27 pm

https://www.dailywire.com/news/37125/tr ... nservative
Transgender Cyclist Celebrates World Championship In Women's Event, Says Critics Are 'Transphobic Bigots'

This stuff gets dumber and dumber.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm

BREAKING — 2 sources tell @clarissaward and @TimListerCNN that the Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey.

2/ One source: report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible.

One source: report is still being prepared and cautioned that things could change.
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1 ... 0391479298

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Did Elizabeth Warren only check the Native American box? My wife’s biological father immigrated from the Philippines, and both she and our children check both Caucasian and Pacific Islander on ethnicity questions. Those forms usually ask to check all that apply.
She was touted as minority faculty. At this point, it doesn't seem that her minority status got her a job anywhere, but it's definitely the case that she believes that she is native american. But at the same time, the conservative bellyaching over it seems to not extend beyond a negative campaign ad byline. But of course Trump picked it up because his political acumen is just reciting the same attack over and over.

I think the takeaway is that when even folks like David French want to jump in the ring here, it's hard to argue that Trump isn't carrying the mantle for almost the entire conservative movement.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 pm

BREAKING — 2 sources tell @clarissaward and @TimListerCNN that the Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey.

2/ One source: report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible.

One source: report is still being prepared and cautioned that things could change.
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1 ... 0391479298
Sorry we only planned to kidnap the guy, but we killed him and chopped up his body.....my bad.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Jim Geraghty
More
A 1997 Fordham Law Review piece described Elizabeth Warren as Harvard Law School's "first woman of color.”

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 pm

She was touted as minority faculty. At this point, it doesn't seem that her minority status got her a job anywhere, but it's definitely the case that she believes that she is native american.
I mean... I get it. I would identify as German. I've got no "proof" that I'm as such, it's just what my family has told me (and my last name is German...). If being German was an option along side "Caucasian" I would probably identify as such due to just the stories of my parents and grandparents. No part of me is particularly German other than I like beer, though.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Jim Geraghty
More
A 1997 Fordham Law Review piece described Elizabeth Warren as Harvard Law School's "first woman of color.”
https://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-ha ... lor-123526
A 1997 Fordham Law Review piece described her as Harvard Law School's "first woman of color," based, according to the notes at the bottom of the story, on a "telephone interview with Michael Chmura, News Director, Harvard Law (Aug. 6, 1996)."

The mention was in the middle of a lengthy and heavily-annotated Fordham piece on diversity and affirmative action and women. The title of the piece, by Laura Padilla, was "Intersectionality and positionality: Situating women of color in the affirmative action dialogue."

"There are few women of color who hold important positions in the academy, Fortune 500 companies, or other prominent fields or industries," the piece says. "This is not inconsequential. Diversifying these arenas, in part by adding qualified women of color to their ranks, remains important for many reaons. For one, there are scant women of color as role models. In my three years at Stanford Law School, there were no professors who were women of color. Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995."

Padilla, now at California Western School of Law, told POLITICO in an email that she doesn't remember the details of the conversation with Chmura, who is now at Babson College and didn't respond to a request for comment. It is unclear whether it was Padilla's language or Chmura's.
So this was not Warren describing herself. In fact Warren claims she had no idea they were touting her as such.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 pm

I recognize that it's whataboutism, but it strikes me that the United States doesn't have much of a leg to stand on to complaint about Saudi Arabia whacking one of its own citizens. The feds have not only claimed the right to engage in extrajudicial killings of US citizens, they've actually done it. What the Saudis should have done is labeled Mr. Khashoggi an "enemy combatant" and then splattered him using a Hellfire missile fired from a Predator drone. Based on the precedent, that would have to be seen as totally okle dokle for the US government.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:53 pm

I think you're glancing over the controversial part here.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm pretty much 50/50 Irish and German. Which means I have two absolutely world class livers.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm

I might be, but what is more controversial than killing him?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm

The who and what is bad enough. The where and how are particularly..... noteworthy.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:00 pm

I agree that the location if Turkey is interesting, if only for the fact that body disposal is probably pretty easy over there. Erdoğan has been cracking down do hard on anyone and everyone perceived as an opponent that I figure there's probably a Monty Python "bring out your dead" cart that goes around every day to pick up all the whackees.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I would say labeling a reporter as an enemy of the state is controversial.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:56 pm

There were around two dozen GOP Congressmen and staffers at that baseball field, so let's maybe pump the brakes on that 'whole caucus' talk.
Yeah, he was only firing unimpeded at 24 GOP congressmen for a while! It's not like, as an extremist Leftist, he sought to do an REAL damage...

WTF is this nonsense!?

Edit: I guess the proper terminology is, what ripe stupidity is this nonsensical brain shite?
I feel like I should be surprised this was your takeaway, but I'm really not. So..... yeah.
I feel like this shouldn't really be accepted as an actual response, but I'm sure it will be; so... yeah.