Politics And Current Events

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:27 pm

I'd guess much (maybe most, maybe even all) of the allegations re: abusive Priests is true, but I have to admit, the more I hear, the more I start thinking about the Satanic Panic of the 80s.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm

How is this still coming out?
Because a criminal organization has political and religious influence within the community. One report had a cop willingly admit he stopped pursuing the abuse reports because he believed they could help with his political career.

It's appalling.
I just saw on Channel 11 that it was the DA of Beaver County in the '60's. Unbelievable.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Trump's Council of Economic Advisers is quietly offering "apologies" for Sarah Sanders's wildly wrong claim about Obama and African-American employment...and is now offering misleading data in its place. Good work everyone. https://t.co/5a2rJVGZZ3

Correction from today’s briefing: Jobs numbers for Pres Trump and Pres Obama were correct, but the time frame for Pres Obama wasn’t. I’m sorry for the mistake, but no apologies for the 700,000 jobs for African Americans created under President Trump https://t.co/EXGvbliwlS

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 pm

I'd guess much (maybe most, maybe even all) of the allegations re: abusive Priests is true, but I have to admit, the more I hear, the more I start thinking about the Satanic Panic of the 80s.
Elaborate. Not on the 80s panic, but the kiddie diddling apologist line you're teetering on.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 am

Elaborate. Not on the 80s panic, but the kiddie diddling apologist line you're teetering on.
Like I said, I'm guessing most of it is true. But when I read stuff about Priests keeping pubic hair trophies and forcing kids to hang on the cross like they've been crucified, part of me wonders if some of it's being exaggerated. Right now it's teetering on ritualistic abuse. If everything that's coming out is true, this is way, way beyond typical kiddie diddling.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 am

I can see where you're coming from.

That said, that organization lost the benefit of the doubt in the court of public opinion long ago. **** them.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:55 am

Twitter has joined the Ban Alex Jones party.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/twitter ... jones.html

On the part of Twitter specifically, this comes off as absurdly hypocritical.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:23 am

I’m in favor of twitter banning everyone and then ceasing to exist at all.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am

People receive bans for all kinds of reasons.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am

Why can't Catholic priests get married?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 am

Something about giving all your love to God... ya know, better to diddle young boys than get married.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 am

It's not what the magic man would want.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:14 am

I’m in favor of twitter banning everyone and then ceasing to exist at all.
It's nice if you just use it for hockey news.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 am

With all this stuff coming out about the Catholic Church it seems Sinead O’Conner was right

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 am

Over the last couple weeks at Church, the priests have been reading letters from the bishops and they have been hammering in the point that 99% of these happened before 1990 or something like that. You can tell where things are today that there is a lot of concern of what this will do

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:55 am

Something about giving all your love to God... ya know, better to diddle young boys than get married.
I have been railing against this for years. Forcing priests to be celibate is one of the root causes behind the sexual deviancy that is pervasive in that church. When you start getting in the business of trying to control the natural urges of men, you are headed for a bad time. The pastor at our church is happily married with three daughters, and I'm to be expected to believe that this makes him less capable of preaching God's word?

Just evil.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 am

Would that really make a difference?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am

I don't know for sure and don't want to make a blanket statement for everyone, but I think shafs post holds weight

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am

I agree that the whole not being able to marry thing is ridiculous. However, I don’t think that leads you to being a pedophile. It would make sense if priests were being caught with hookers or banging parishioners. Raping kids doesn’t seem like the logical jump.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 am

Over the last couple weeks at Church, the priests have been reading letters from the bishops and they have been hammering in the point that 99% of these happened before 1990 or something like that. You can tell where things are today that there is a lot of concern of what this will do
I do believe this is a thing of the past, and likely not happening much anymore. With the heightened awareness surrounding it today, I wouldn't be surprised if it's now very, very isolated (in America anyways...). It certainly isn't a systemic issue anymore.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:13 am

I agree that the whole not being able to marry thing is ridiculous. However, I don’t think that leads you to being a pedophile. It would make sense if priests were being caught with hookers or banging parishioners. Raping kids doesn’t seem like the logical jump.
I dunno....feeling an absurd amount of pressure to repress your natural urges leads people to dark places. Being deprived of living a normal life and having a family of your own, I could see that leading to desperately trying to find companionship or gratification elsewhere.

Why is it so pervasive in the Catholic Church and not in the Protestant Church?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 am

I don't know for sure and don't want to make a blanket statement for everyone, but I think shafs post holds weight
Agree. It doesn't turn you into a pedophile, but I think it allows some men who know that if they were in regular society wouldn't have access to the kids (alter servers, etc), that this route gives them that access.

I'm Roman Catholic. I've never understood why priests can't marry or women can't preach (I know the history, etc). And I think that is why the church is dying. We are in an age where those beliefs are long gone. There is a severe shortage of priests in the church, and it will only get worse as time goes on. Something will have to eventually change.

I went to a catholic school. When I was in 1st grade, there were 7 nuns and 3 priests there. Today there is just a priest and that is it. Everyone else is a lay person.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 am

Impregnating nuns and then forcing an alley abortion isn't illegal, per se, so it's not something you'll read about in a report like this.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:23 am

People receive bans for all kinds of reasons.
#FreeColumbia

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am

Why is it so pervasive in the Catholic Church and not in the Protestant Church?
It could be... don't know for sure it isn't. Most protestant don't have nearly the hierarchy that the catholic church does though. Not to mention the number of independent churches out there that have no official affiliation. So the sharing of indecency and cover-up isn't there. I think Freddy mentioned earlier, that it persists there too, but not so much the kiddy stuff... more pressuring adults (whether they're actually adults or just in the legal sense "adults") into sexual acts.

On a side note... could you imagine being a priest that had no hand in this at all and just loved your job of being a priest? I couldn't. I would be doubting so much of myself, my profession, my faith, everything.