Politics And Current Events

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:48 pm

It's an 11 year old girl. They probably could have just talked to her like an adult/human being.
They tried, but she resisted and fled.

I'm just having a hard time seeing the controversy here. Laugh all you want about hating kids, whatever. But the department guidelines say 7 to 70 year olds are taserable. She fell within the guidelines, ignored verbal commands, and was apprehended using non-lethal force. It seems like it's the correct outcome in light of police initiated fatalities that have been scrutinized so much recently.

If you opt to just let her go what return is the public getting on their tax dollars for a police force? "Sorry, you're too cute to arrest, carry on with your backpack full of other peoples stuff."

I dunno. I feel like we aren't getting the full story of the events leading up to the fleeing, so I don't know how well this thought exercise can progress without that. I would personally prefer to reserve judgment to hear why she decided to run. At 11, the concept of right and wrong is still developing. Maybe something occurred when the police got there that triggered the flight response. Who knows.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:51 pm

If a cop can't outrun (read: catch) an 11 year old maybe they shouldn't be a patrol officer...
Probably if they touched her with their hands they'd be sued for sexual harassment.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:52 pm

If a cop can't outrun (read: catch) an 11 year old maybe they shouldn't be a patrol officer...
Yes, if a cop can't restrain an 11 year old without a taser, then he should be sent back to cop school.
Any outcome would be criticized:

The police officer ________ the resisting and fleeing 11 year old.

chased
grabbed
tripped
tackled
cuffed
shot
tased
ignored

In the end the officer acted within the direction of city policy and apprehended a suspect. I'm perfectly fine with a proposal to change the policy if the citizenry doesn't like it; but as for this officer in this case they performed as expected and any internet hero'ing done here is just hot air.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:53 pm

I just got an interesting phone call... they were raising money to help solve the issue of cops being shot or injured while on the job. No clue how they got my name and number. No clue how any amount of money will help "solve" that issue. No clue if they actually removed my name from their list like I asked them to.

Just an odd request...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes, if a cop can't restrain an 11 year old without a taser, then he should be sent back to cop school.

chased
grabbed
tripped
tackled
cuffed
shot
tased
ignored

In the end the officer acted within the direction of city policy and apprehended a suspect. I'm perfectly fine with a proposal to change the policy if the citizenry doesn't like it; but as for this officer in this case they performed as expected and any internet hero'ing done here is just hot air.
Going to have to agree with dodint. It's lose-lose for the cop in the eyes of public perception.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm

chased
grabbed
tripped
tackled
cuffed
shot
tased
ignored

Agree 100%.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:57 pm

It's an 11 year old girl. They probably could have just talked to her like an adult/human being.
They tried, but she resisted and fled.

I'm just having a hard time seeing the controversy here. Laugh all you want about hating kids, whatever. But the department guidelines say 7 to 70 year olds are taserable. She fell within the guidelines, ignored verbal commands, and was apprehended using non-lethal force. It seems like it's the correct outcome in light of police initiated fatalities that have been scrutinized so much recently.

If you opt to just let her go what return is the public getting on their tax dollars for a police force? "Sorry, you're too cute to arrest, carry on with your backpack full of other peoples stuff."

I dunno. I feel like we aren't getting the full story of the events leading up to the fleeing, so I don't know how well this thought exercise can progress without that. I would personally prefer to reserve judgment to hear why she decided to run. At 11, the concept of right and wrong is still developing. Maybe something occurred when the police got there that triggered the flight response. Who knows.
Well the prefrontal cortex (controls emotions and concept of right/wrong) develops until about 25. So maybe we shouldn’t punish people for right and wrong until we can be assured their prefrontal cortex has completed development.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:59 pm

TIL that grunty googled 'prefrontal cortex'

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 pm

chased
grabbed
tripped
tackled
cuffed
shot
tased
ignored

Going to have to agree with dodint. It's lose-lose for the cop in the eyes of public perception.
I don't disagree for the most part. I do wonder how many pre teens are arrested daily with no taser usage. They don't seem to end up on the news. The only reason we know about this is because he used the taser...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 pm

TIL that grunty googled 'prefrontal cortex'
Nope. Googled “when do people develop the concept of right or wrong” to make that quality post.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:05 pm

In this day and age, anything a cop does perceived as incorrect makes the news. Not saying it shouldn't but add it to the pile of outrage.

The cop did his job against someone who ran from the scene of a crime. Score one for the good guys, age of the perp side.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 pm

More Trump tapes, apparently Omarosa secretly recorded some of her private conversations with Trump.

So, now we're stuck with a Michael Wolf level news cycle on this.

Thank you for your service Omarosa.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm

I just think, had a taser not been used, this isn't even news. Like I said, how many 11 year olds are caught, and arrested, every day for shoplifting? None of those make the news. This one did because he tasered her. I'm with dodint though on his legal usage. It's the law. And, as dodint said, I'm in favor of changing it if the population there wants it changed.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:12 pm

The continued fallacy of income inequality is that there is a static pie which entails that if person x has $1 that means person y does not have a $1. Money doesn't work like that.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:14 pm

In this day and age, anything a cop does perceived as incorrect makes the news. Not saying it shouldn't but add it to the pile of outrage.

The cop did his job against someone who ran from the scene of a crime. Score one for the good guys, age of the perp side.
:thumb:

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Siraj Ibn Wahhaj was leader of New Mexico desert compound with 11 children, trained them to commit school shootings

This seems like it should be a big deal

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:20 pm

More Trump tapes, apparently Omarosa secretly recorded some of her private conversations with Trump.

So what happened? I saw she had "tapes" and played them for people, but nothing actually got released, right?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:20 pm

The continued fallacy of income inequality is that there is a static pie which entails that if person x has $1 that means person y does not have a $1. Money doesn't work like that.
I thought the big issue with income inequality was person A being paid (for instance) $35000 annually while person B (with equal qualifications) is paid $30000 annually.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:21 pm

So what happened? I saw she had "tapes" and played them for people, but nothing actually got released, right?
More nothing I would assume

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:23 pm

I thought the big issue with income inequality was person A being paid (for instance) $35000 annually while person B (with equal qualifications) is paid $30000 annually.
That's the gender wage gap.

Income inequality is how people refer to wealth inequality, which is 1%'er stuff.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I just saw one comment from someone who heard a tape and basically said it was anodyne conversation.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:26 pm

That's the gender wage gap.

Income inequality is how people refer to wealth inequality, which is 1%'er stuff.
Ah thanks.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Person A

Bachelor’s
Training certs
5 years job experience

Person B

Bachelor’s
Training certs
5 years job experience

Person A works 40+ hours a week, rarely takes sick time and vacation, and etc.

Person B works 40 hours a week, takes most of their vacation time and sick time, and etc.

Usually those types of gaps are because one person is more reliable and hard working.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Money Fiat currency doesn't work like that.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:43 pm

How does cutting taxes for the rich help the issue of income inequality/few people controlling the vast majority of the wealth?
Wealth isn't a zero-sum game. The fact that Jeff Bezos is a billionaire doesn't mean that Jeff Bezos is the cause of anyone else being poor. I respectfully disagree with the premise that this is an "issue" to begin with.