Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Oh, a ghosted notification from columbia. How quaint.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Nothing but peace, bro. :)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 pm

That's more like it.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 pm

That's more like it.
I was poked: I replied. Nothing more to see here (involving me).

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:15 pm

I'm joking around. Let's all take it easy. I need to go pull up a ridiculous LGBTQ story on Drudge to get things back on track here?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 pm

See...that's what I'm talking about. Let's talk about David Hogg doing the Black Power salute :wink:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Timeout....please, stop. There is a ton of trolling going on, interwoven with actual discussion. Actual discussion about issues should not be bolstered by hyperbolic statements about the person. Re: trolling, paraphrasing Justice Potter Stewart, you know it when you see it. Keep it on the issues, thanks.
My only contention with this post is the large spectrum of nonsense that you’re framing as “actual discussion”.

We don’t do that here. We all come in with our bias and baggage. Some of us are self aware about it. Others aren’t. But in the end, we’re all just yelling at clouds. I think almost everyone here is capable of actual discussion IRL, but message boards are just a useless medium for it. So all we’re doing is finding the points of view that bother us and yelling at each other to fix them.

Other threads are different. This thread is worthless, though. Yet here we are for some reason.

...and your last post was tongue in cheek, but it’s a good example. You can’t even help yourself while being peacekeeper. No offense, but it’s just kind of lame that your cherry on the sundae was another knock on this kid.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm joking around. Let's all take it easy. I need to go pull up a ridiculous LGBTQ story on Drudge to get things back on track here?
Someone deleted this a few minutes ago. Why?....

Agreed.

If I react poorly to the coach of the women’s dek hockey team at Temple trolling me out of the blue (see the last few hours), then I apologize in advance.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 pm

No offense, but it’s just kind of lame that your cherry on the sundae was another knock on this kid.
Dude...c'mon. I literally just pulled something as a joke in an attempt to "steer" the discussion. I have not followed the Hogg guy in weeks.

You are an intelligent guy, no doubt. Surely, surely you can recognize the difference between banter that gets heated between disagreeing viewpoints and outright trolling, right? The former, I believe, contributes to all of our POV's holistically. The latter is just blatant poking and poking. I'd actually be shocked if you didn't see it for what it was.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 pm

If I react poorly to the coach of the women’s dek hockey team at Temple trolling me out of the blue (see the last few hours), then I apologize in advance.
@shmenguin, and here you go. If you think this kind of stuff should be fair game, then by all means, let me know. This is not political discussion, this is getting personal. And if you let this kind of sht go, it snowballs into disaster. I am not attacking anyone personally by saying David Hogg is dumb.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 pm

@shmenguin, and here you go. If you think this kind of stuff should be fair game, then by all means, let me know. This is not political discussion, this is getting personal. And if you let this kind of sht go, it snowballs into disaster. I am not attacking anyone personally by saying David Hogg is dumb.
I was trolled and this is/was my reaction. Deal with it in real time....no one did, so I reacted accordingly.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Yeah, shad. How dare you not be on here 24/7...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah, shad. How dare you not be on here 24/7...
Then perhaps use your brain and gain context before replying. It’s not an an extreme request.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:52 pm

You’re something else... I’ll give you that.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:52 pm

So... the NRA has a dumb reply to these protests.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/24/us/nra-m ... index.html

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:54 pm

You’re something else... I’ll give you that.
Read the board you pretend to moderate.
It’s not difficult.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Can we all agree at least that this Hogg kid is a moron and a terrible advocate?

I mean seriously. Who whines for big gubermint to save the day and then moans about clear backpacks?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 pm

I still believe my "no backpacks" idea to be one of the best options.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 pm

you aren't. but it's also in no way a neutral post. considering the way that people here continue to bungle their expectations of children who experience trauma, there are people who see a clip from fox news and a shafnutz indictment of a teen SJW and get an internet boner out of it and high five you in spirit afterwards. it's not a big deal, but it was a poor choice, imo.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:06 pm

I still believe my "no backpacks" idea to be one of the best options.
we had this rule in middle school. it was horrible, from a practical point of view. you basically had to carry like 5 or 6 books with you from class to class all day. not fun.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 pm

We weren't permitted backpacks during school... only on arrival and then to go home. Not completely sure what problem that solved, but I believe it started in 6th grade or so.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm

we had this rule in middle school. it was horrible, from a practical point of view. you basically had to carry like 5 or 6 books with you from class to class all day. not fun.
I actually support ditching textbooks altogether and going with cheap ereaders and digital textbooks. The textbook companies would freak tf out, but I think it would be worth it for a multitude of reasons.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm

No offense, but it’s just kind of lame that your cherry on the sundae was another knock on this kid.
Dude...c'mon. I literally just pulled something as a joke in an attempt to "steer" the discussion. I have not followed the Hogg guy in weeks.

You are an intelligent guy, no doubt. Surely, surely you can recognize the difference between banter that gets heated between disagreeing viewpoints and outright trolling, right? The former, I believe, contributes to all of our POV's holistically. The latter is just blatant poking and poking. I'd actually be shocked if you didn't see it for what it was.
oh. i know that columbia is trolling. and i know there's a difference between that and the typical behavior in this thread, but it isn't as vast a difference as you think. the typical discourse here maintains civility (kind of), but it's absolutely not actual discussion. if i gave examples, they would be fairly one sided. i don't think there's any use for that. but we aren't here to be enlightened. we're here to impose our beliefs on others. we all wish we weren't. but that would be:
disingenuous
to think so