Politics And Current Events

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:10 pm

My experience is that:

City government < county government < state government < federal government

I’m willing to limit it to county and federal.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Getting rid of state government (and the states) is my top priority, btw.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Getting rid of state government (and the states) is my top priority, btw.
To what end? I agree with you, but I don’t know if we share the same driver.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Is something going on in DC today? Oh, yeah... that's right... Trump and the fascist GOP "dictators" won't confiscate firearms fast enough! :lol: that's right, I forgot.

Ya know, looking back thru history, nothing says "fascist dictator" like piddling around about grabbing guns.
Another disappointing perception that current regime isn’t as bad/worse than your general characterization of government. Careful now - your partisan slip is showing.
Oh Columbia do **** off 😉. I'm the least partisan poster here by default and you know that.

You don't really think that I take the current regime to be worse than my characterisation of the state as a whole. That's a period, by the way, not a question mark.

I would have been just aghast of a Clinton regime as I am of the Trump regime. I do appreciate the tax cuts, but I'm sure there would have been things I would have liked about that dodints regime as well.

Some other group of half-thinking morons would be marching about something that I would consider to be half-brained at this point, no doubt. But thats what you get when you engage the state to educate the population - a bunch of brain dead morons who couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag making policy for everyone else.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Eliminating the pretense that I live in a different country than the people in Utah: own it.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:22 pm

County government can handle roads, schools, zoning etc.

State government serves no purpose.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Eliminating the pretense that I live in a different country than the people in Utah: own it.
Shrug... ain't worth the time anymore.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

The correct response would be:

“Wow, columbia also wants to eliminate the states. He and I can work together on that.” And I would do so.

But you don’t think that, because you’re too hung up on ideological purity.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 pm

The correct response would be:

“Wow, columbia also wants to eliminate the states. He and I can work together on that.” And I would do so.

But you don’t think that, because you’re too hung up on ideological purity.
You want to eliminate states... to empower fedgov. I would eliminate the states, yes... But only after I've eliminated the federal government.

We intersect each other, starting worlds apart, and our destinations are worlds apart.

That intersection couldn't be less consequential in our end games.

Be happy, tho. Yours is a far more attainable goal - people hate the idea of owning their lives, and would much rather prefer their betters make decisions for them. For example, today's spectacle in Washington, dc. And our betters will only be so glad to accommodate them... rest assured.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:59 pm

I offered you a fig leaf and you scoffed at it.
Noted.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 pm

The real subtext is that the NDA was signed under physical threat and intimidation. Mr. Cohen is seemingly going to have some problems continuing with his chosen profession.
Not sure about other state law, but under Pennsylvania law, claims that one was coerced into signing a contact are negated by legal representation. In other words, if you had a lawyer and consulted that lawyer before signing a contract, you can't claim you were coerced. Ms. Clifford was represented by counsel, and in fact her lawyer also signed the confidentiality agreement (as to form).

I listened to the podcast that was posted a couple pages back. IMO, the lawyer who says that the confidentiality agreement is illegal is reeeeally stretching on many of his points.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:10 pm

I guess this case will be your standard bearer around here.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:40 pm

I offered you a fig leaf and you scoffed at it.
Noted.
Okay, sure. Your 'fig leaf' was more of a hi-five as we pass on unexpectedly intersecting highways as we travel in completely different directions... but I won't argue with you. I don't really care anymore.

As I said, people hate the idea of taking responsibility for their own lives. When that happens, it's all about who manages to make it first to the gun on the table in the middle of the room. Discussing principle at this point is nothing more than an academic exercise, and I mean that in the most derogatory sense of the word.

I do care about principle, of course... But there is little benefit in my eyes from having the debate any longer.

That people might realize that they own their lives is a long shot, at best, in today's world and with today's teachers, the worst, teaching them. But that they might then understand all that follows from That? Well... one in a million shot, doc.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Jesus...yeah, what a ridiculously flimsy limb to stand on...

"I want to get rid of a certain piece of government that you may also want to get rid of, but it's for polar opposite reasons with divergent motives, but if you don't accept my 'invitation' for my poor attempt at tricking you into faux common ground, I will mark it as a character flaw on your head and, according to standard protocol, follow you* all around the board attempting to troll you and your beliefs because they do not match mine exactly and therefore you are an enemy."

* - this list must represent nearly half the board by now...SAD!

Guinny, just be thankful you didn't apply to Penn State or Michigan State (and if you did, don't admit it at least)...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:40 pm

"I want to get rid of a certain piece of government that you may also want to get rid of, but it's for polar opposite reasons with divergent motives, but if you don't accept my 'invitation' for my poor attempt at tricking you into faux common ground, I will mark it as a character flaw on your head and, according to standard protocol, follow you* all around the board attempting to troll you and your beliefs because they do not match mine exactly and therefore you are an enemy."

Guinny, just be thankful you didn't apply to Penn State or Michigan State (and if you did, don't admit it at least)...

1. You seem like a psychotic and whiny little dodint.
2. I graduated from a university far more demanding than UPS or Michigan State ;)
3. You wouldn’t be able to get a job cleaning toilets there.

You wanted to troll; you got it back.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Yeah, I knew you'd come back with some lame attack at my mental state (and the edit, adding #3 after the fact for the cherry on top)...I know this isn't a battle we're (we, as a board) going to win, but there's more than a few people here that just want you to suck a little less...you suck all the time now. Suck just sometimes. Most people here are jerkoffs some of the time, because it's the internet, I got it...I'm as guilty as anyone...but given how small this board is and how easily managed (or self-managed, as it were) the population is, I think it's a fair ask for you not to be a jerkoff as often as you are...these endless grudges and this moral superiority complex thing in every. damn. thread. it's just tiring to read and a needless annoyance...

There's a few dozen people here...your style of trying to stand out with these edgy, faux attempts at "conversational dominance" would be better suited for a larger pool of idiots like reddit or some such...you're not competing with anyone here, no one cares...you don't have to try bully everyone that looks at you ****-eyed...two regulars here, to my knowledge, have been removed from participating and, frankly, I don't see a noteworthy difference in behavior between you and them...they were aggressively trollish to gain nothing...and here we are again...

This board becomes a much better place to have a conversation when you act like a normal human being...again, I feel like we're making a fair ask...

Your response (you can't resist) will likely be you spinning this into something questioning my mental state or sexual orientation or gender or whatever as you tend to do ad nauseum, and that's fine...but I tried...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Yeah, I knew you'd come back with some lame attack at my mental state (and the edit, adding #3 after the fact for the cherry on top)...I know this isn't a battle we're (we, as a board) going to win, but there's more than a few people here that just want you to suck a little less...you suck all the time now. Suck just sometimes. Most people here are jerkoffs some of the time, because it's the internet, I got it...I'm as guilty as anyone...but given how small this board is and how easily managed (or self-managed, as it were) the population is, I think it's a fair ask for you not to be a jerkoff as often as you are...these endless grudges and this moral superiority complex thing in every. damn. thread. it's just tiring to read and a needless annoyance...

There's a few dozen people here...your style of trying to stand out with these edgy, faux attempts at "conversational dominance" would be better suited for a larger pool of idiots like reddit or some such...you're not competing with anyone here, no one cares...you don't have to try bully everyone that looks at you ****-eyed...two regulars here, to my knowledge, have been removed from participating and, frankly, I don't see a noteworthy difference in behavior between you and them...they were aggressively trollish to gain nothing...and here we are again...

This board becomes a much better place to have a conversation when you act like a normal human being...again, I feel like we're making a fair ask...

Your response (you can't resist) will likely be you spinning this into something questioning my mental state or sexual orientation or gender or whatever as you tend to do ad nauseum, and that's fine...but I tried...

You went after me, lunatic dodint.
Show some self awareness.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Stop.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Stop.
I would hope so.
Guinness and I were having a rational conversation (even if we disagree).

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:17 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Timeout....please, stop. There is a ton of trolling going on, interwoven with actual discussion. Actual discussion about issues should not be bolstered by hyperbolic statements about the person. Re: trolling, paraphrasing Justice Potter Stewart, you know it when you see it. Keep it on the issues, thanks.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Timeout....please, stop. There is a ton of trolling going on, interwoven with actual discussion. Actual discussion about issues should not be bolstered by hyperbolic statements about the person. Re: trolling, paraphrasing Justice Potter Stewart, you know it when you see it. Keep it on the issues, thanks.
Finally

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:51 pm