Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm

My guess is EPP... :slug:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:27 pm

BREAKING: Trump has just received a court summons today in a case alleging he is violating the Constitution (the foreign emoluments clause and the domestic emoluments clause).

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status ... 3937961985
This might be one of the dumber things they are trying to take him down for.

I still think if anything brings Trump personally down it will be money laundering.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Kudos to the liberal Los Angeles Times for having the integrity to publish the truth about John F. Kennedy's disgusting behavior. "JFK may have been a worse philanderer than Trump."
https://t.co/joy3nzWgVK
No one cares that Trump had/probably is having affairs; that's an element of his character that has been public record for decades. The issue - for me - is that the hush payments are clear evidence that the President is blackmail able, which transcends this specific aspect. It is also not newsworthy to assert JFK boned everything that moved five decades ago.

But if you want to go down the morals path, in those intervening 50+ years, there is only one side of the political divide in this country that's built their brand on 'family values'. And that group has gone radio silent on that front since Trump happened. So it was apparently not so much of a core belief system; it was more like a hobby.
I'm not sure I'd say radio silent. There have been a lot of people who have spoken out about his moral character, just the old guards (Falwell, Graham, Robertson, et al) are the ones out there defending Trump on this.

There is a massive gulf that exists between the 65+ age evangelicals and the rest about Trump.

I see and hear it all the time in my circles. The younger folk just don't have the media reach.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 pm

And I didn't post that as a defense of Trump.

I just find it interesting how the me-too movement is going to take down all of the major Democrat presidents not counting Jimmy Carter since the Great Depression.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Kudos to the liberal Los Angeles Times for having the integrity to publish the truth about John F. Kennedy's disgusting behavior. "JFK may have been a worse philanderer than Trump."
https://t.co/joy3nzWgVK
No one cares that Trump had/probably is having affairs; that's an element of his character that has been public record for decades. The issue - for me - is that the hush payments are clear evidence that the President is blackmail able, which transcends this specific aspect. It is also not newsworthy to assert JFK boned everything that moved five decades ago.

But if you want to go down the morals path, in those intervening 50+ years, there is only one side of the political divide in this country that's built their brand on 'family values'. And that group has gone radio silent on that front since Trump happened. So it was apparently not so much of a core belief system; it was more like a hobby.
I'm not sure I'd say radio silent. There have been a lot of people who have spoken out about his moral character, just the old guards (Falwell, Graham, Robertson, et al) are the ones out there defending Trump on this.

There is a massive gulf that exists between the 65+ age evangelicals and the rest about Trump.

I see and hear it all the time in my circles. The younger folk just don't have the media reach.

We have a fairly good idea about their reach in November of 2016; all the needed details were there.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:45 pm

I know a bunch of people of that age who voted for Hillary so I wouldn't speak without knowledge there.

And despite your attempts to say otherwise those of us who didn't vote for either we're not implicit Lee voting for Trump you might as well we were implicitly voting for Hillary in the red states where he won

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:49 pm

You explicitly chose not to attempt to stop Trump.
Are you still happy with that decision? I’m still ok with my decision on the matter.

We both know that neither of us had any chance of affecting the outcome of electoral votes in our respective states, of course.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Mind you: I’m fairly certain that your internal reaction is that you are still happy with not participating and/or not supporting Clinton.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:04 pm

If we were going to put it on a scale between being happy Hillary is not President and Trump is President I'd say I'm a 98 on a 100 for Hillary and a 2 on a 100 on Trump.

But let's be honest. I'd not get fiscal conservatism if Jeb, Marco, Kasich, or Christie were President, just maybe with Cruz.

Only Rand would make a dent in spending.

So outside the tabloid stuff (which is in itself disqualifying) Trump is W minus the wars, and I didn't vote for Bush for re-election, hit the lever in PA for Michael Peroutka.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Rand made a lot of money off of Medicare patients, so please don’t overstate his disinterest in government money.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:23 pm

So he should be dinged for serving a part of the population particularly in need of the services of an Ophthalmologist?

That seems dumb.

Besides anyone who has to overly rely on Medicare and Medicaid patients is a doc that ain't getting paid much or very quickly.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:29 pm

He could have chosen a position/profession, which doesn’t rely on Uncle Sugar; I have one and it’s not difficult to find one.

Having said: we’re pretending that he lives up to his rhetoric and is different from blood suckers on the tax payers? Reality says differently.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Godric, what joy do you get out of coming back time after time?

I'm surprised it took that long to figure out it was him *shrug*

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:33 pm

You can have your cynical view on that, but I know enough of his life (along with his compatriots Massie and Amash) to know differently.

His pro bono work in Latin America also speaks volumes.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:37 pm

You can have your cynical view on that, but I know enough of his life (along with his compatriots Massie and Amash) to know differently.

His pro bono work in Latin America also speaks volumes.
Which he can afford to do, because the government is taking your money to pay his salary.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:39 pm

No doctor in America has ever gotten rich taking money from Medicare and Medicaid patients, but you know that.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm

I’m attempting to convince you to go full nihilist and stop buying into the pretenders. ;)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm

He could have chosen a position/profession, which doesn’t rely on Uncle Sugar; I have one and it’s not difficult to find one.

Having said: we’re pretending that he lives up to his rhetoric and is different from blood suckers on the tax payers? Reality says differently.
He seems like a decent guy.

Even though he’s a flaming hypocrite. But there really isn’t a place for libertarian ideals in adulthood government. And he makes that compromise as good as can be expected.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:07 pm

The issue - for me - is that the hush payments are clear evidence that the President is blackmail able, which transcends this specific aspect.
Is he blackmail-able though? I think he's pretty much bulletproof to his base. Unless than have proof of him boning underage girls, I think his supporters would stand behind him even if it came out that he had 1000 affairs on Melania and eats Ivanka's bowel movements. And I actually have some doubt that they'd turn on him over underage girls, unless than were 15 or younger and not "hot" looking teens.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm

The issue - for me - is that the hush payments are clear evidence that the President is blackmail able, which transcends this specific aspect.
Is he blackmail-able though? I think he's pretty much bulletproof to his base. Unless than have proof of him boning underage girls, I think his supporters would stand behind him even if it came out that he had 1000 affairs on Melania and eats Ivanka's bowel movements. And I actually have some doubt that they'd turn on him over underage girls, unless than were 15 or younger and not "hot" looking teens.
Recent history indicates otherwise:

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Is something going on in DC today? Oh, yeah... that's right... Trump and the fascist GOP "dictators" won't confiscate firearms fast enough! :lol: that's right, I forgot.

Ya know, looking back thru history, nothing says "fascist dictator" like piddling around about grabbing guns.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Is something going on in DC today? Oh, yeah... that's right... Trump and the fascist GOP "dictators" won't confiscate firearms fast enough! :lol: that's right, I forgot.

Ya know, looking back thru history, nothing says "fascist dictator" like piddling around about grabbing guns.
Another disappointing perception that current regime isn’t as bad/worse than your general characterization of government. Careful now - your partisan slip is showing.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:58 pm

It is true, Trump is the worst Fascist ever.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:05 pm

It is true, Trump is the worst Fascist ever.
So you’re saying Guinny’s standard perception of government is overblown? That should be a fun discussion to watch...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Merely noting that being a Fascist is not the only bad thing option.

Look, we all know we ain't going back to small, Localist government where the only Federal official you might meet is the postal carrier.