Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:02 pm

In which Justin Trudeau interrupts a girl to correct her for saying "mankind" instead of the more inclusive "peoplekind." Beyond parody.
https://t.co/n1I7J2wkkL

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 pm

But again, if we're going to point at anything, it's going to be the prolonged periods of low interest rates. The libretarian contingent would do well to come in and explain how depressed rates on bank deposits pushes more people into equities because of the lack of return on deposit accounts.

Point being, that there was a reason why economists were opposed to this tax stimulus plan, and early indications would seem to justify those concerns. But yeah, nobody knows with certainty how markets will react, but leaving trained economists out of the drafting and debate of the tax bill allowed them to go through with this without one iota of consideration of what bad things could happen by slashing taxes at this moment.
The point being that evaluating a massive tax bill for one of the largest economies in the world after only being partially implemented for 12 days and saying it will be a massive failure because of a several day market correction is extremely dumb.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Back to that treasonous comment: just another point of light as to why he is unfit for the office (and fodder for historians).

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Checks TIAA account to confirm: yep, bought $600 of SP500 fund today.

People panic, but that doesn’t mean one should.

This. I saw the drop and first thought was stocks on sale today. High fives all around.

Old Baldy

Postby Old Baldy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm

The stock market "crash" is an ATTACK (counterattack) on Trump. It is not a natural market event.

Read this Executive Order. Read it a few times. Understand.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... orruption/

It is the Key to deciphering what is going on.

THINK: Who (many) in the political, entertainment, corporate and GLOBAL economic world is at risk?
Why did Trump mention Gitmo in state of the union speech?
Why did Trump use word Treason today?
Why did Trump thank Military "we wouldn't be Here without them"?

What are they setting up, what has been planned for, three years?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... corruption

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Ummmm.... Wtf.......

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Checks TIAA account to confirm: yep, bought $600 of SP500 fund today.

People panic, but that doesn’t mean one should.

This. I saw the drop and first thought was stocks on sale today. High fives all around.
When will I NEED to sell stocks at a loss? Perhaps never. Current plan is create inflation linked annuity in TIAA account + social security. Other money will have 10-15 years further needed income in TIPS and the rest in stocks. One doesn’t need to become a victim of market declines (or inflation).

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Ummmm.... Wtf.......
BUY GOLD!

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Back to that treasonous comment: just another point of light as to why he is unfit for the office (and fodder for historians).
Trump has said maybe 5 or so things that I actually care about. His tweets generally do nothing for me, and his trash talk is the same. But this is probably the worst so far. It is seriously awful. Even if it was half joking (not sure it is).

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Take him out back and shoot him, right @AuthorTony?
Works for me.
In all seriousness, I would be OK with a minimum 10-15 year sentence for a third DUI. Plenty of people with substance abuse issues "enjoy" their vices at home. No need to be out on the road endangering lives. Implement that policy and release all non-violent drug offenders.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 pm

I fully agree...people make mistakes and endanger others as a result. If you are a serial offender, I don’t want you to have any chance to kill others.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 pm

“Patriotism goes beyond a willingness to defend one’s country. It involves also a disposition to defend one’s country’s institutions when they are under stress.”
—William F. Buckley Jr., 10/12/92

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Trump has said maybe 5 or so things that I actually care about. His tweets generally do nothing for me, and his trash talk is the same. But this is probably the worst so far. It is seriously awful. Even if it was half joking (not sure it is).
Actually nvm. I see what he's doing now. Reducing treason to a casual, normalized phenomenon to downplay his own impending charges of the same crime.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm

He normalized ***** grabbing, so anything is possible.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Speaking of treason, why is Mitch McConnell still at large?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Remember when Trent Lott’s career was over, because he spoke to the CCC? Ah....the days of innocence.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 pm

S&P 500 futures at +0.74%; sanity prevailing for now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Take him out back and shoot him, right @AuthorTony?
Works for me.
In all seriousness, I would be OK with a minimum 10-15 year sentence for a third DUI. Plenty of people with substance abuse issues "enjoy" their vices at home. No need to be out on the road endangering lives. Implement that policy and release all non-violent drug offenders.
This was an inside joke. Tony wants the state to kill they guy that drunkenly ran over his tree.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pm

This was an inside joke. Tony wants the state to kill they guy that drunkenly ran over his tree.
It was an awesome tree.

And I don't really want him killed. But if they beat the hell out of him I might smile a little. The guy killed someone in a drunk driving accident 25 or so years ago. He's had, literally, hundreds of charges filed against him in the years since and was found guilty of the overwhelming majority. He's always getting picked up for shoplifting, sells drugs out of his house, and had another DUI last Feb.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:17 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

A remarkable subversion of our democracy continues in Pennsylvania. After losing their fight at the Supreme Court, Republicans are now threatening to impeach members of the state Supreme Court who found the congressional map to be an unconstitutional gerrymander. https://t.co/SbrnCwU43Q

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Trump’s Lawyers Want Him to Refuse an Interview in Russia Inquiry
Lawyers for President Trump have advised him against sitting down for a wide-ranging interview with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, according to four people briefed on the matter, raising the specter of a monthslong court battle over whether the president must answer questions under oath.

His lawyers are concerned that the president, who has a history of making false statements and contradicting himself, could be charged with lying to investigators. Their stance puts them at odds with Mr. Trump, who has said publicly and privately that he is eager to speak with Mr. Mueller as part of the investigation into possible ties between his associates and Russia’s election interference, and whether he obstructed justice.

Mr. Trump’s decision about whether to speak to prosecutors, expected in the coming weeks, will shape one of the most consequential moments of the investigation. Refusing to sit for an interview opens the possibility that Mr. Mueller will subpoena the president to testify before a grand jury, setting up a court fight that would dramatically escalate the investigation and could be decided by the Supreme Court.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Actually nvm. I see what he's doing now. Reducing treason to a casual, normalized phenomenon to downplay his own impending charges of the same crime.
I can't decide if you're ascribing too much forethought to him or not

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Trump’s Lawyers Want Him to Refuse an Interview in Russia Inquiry
Lawyers for President Trump have advised him against sitting down for a wide-ranging interview with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, according to four people briefed on the matter, raising the specter of a monthslong court battle over whether the president must answer questions under oath.

His lawyers are concerned that the president, who has a history of making false statements and contradicting himself, could be charged with lying to investigators. Their stance puts them at odds with Mr. Trump, who has said publicly and privately that he is eager to speak with Mr. Mueller as part of the investigation into possible ties between his associates and Russia’s election interference, and whether he obstructed justice.

Mr. Trump’s decision about whether to speak to prosecutors, expected in the coming weeks, will shape one of the most consequential moments of the investigation. Refusing to sit for an interview opens the possibility that Mr. Mueller will subpoena the president to testify before a grand jury, setting up a court fight that would dramatically escalate the investigation and could be decided by the Supreme Court.
Forget the perjury trap idea. They don’t need that as he’s a walking perjurer - and his lawyers know that.