Politics And Current Events

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:03 pm

:face: :lol:

Breitbart editor uses Ringo Starr’s song to defend Roy Moore
CNN anchor Chris Cuomo on Monday clashed with a Breitbart editor who used a Ringo Starr song to defend Alabama Republican Senate nominee Roy Moore's alleged sexual misconduct toward teenaged women.

"You know, in 1973, Ringo Starr hit No. 1 on the billboard charts with the song 'You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful and You're Mine,'" Breitbart editor Joel Pollack said during an appearance on CNN's "New Day."

"And it was a remake of an earlier song. He was 30-something at the time, singing about a 16-year-old. You want to take away Ringo Starr's achievement?"

"You can't be serious," Cuomo said in response.
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36194 ... ixteen?amp

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm in the general Rock Hill area, but if my current gig doesn't work out I'll check it out. :)

Also, TL's comment is odd.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm in the general Rock Hill area, but if my current gig doesn't work out I'll check it out. :)

Also, TL's comment is odd.
I tire of comments from CEO's like that complaining about a "skills gap". Especially with this guy and his inability to find equipment maintenance people. This isn't like tech industry companies competing for Stanford grads, This is a skill that I assume it broached in Vocational skill and mastered on the job. Why is it the education system's problem that he can't hire and train people to do that work?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 pm

I guess T.L's comment is that in the old days you used to be able to get a job out of high school that would put a roof over your head and they'd teach you what you needed to know. Even when I graduated (98) I had class-mates who went straight into the workforce that could flaunt their paychecks while I ate Ramen and Pasta-Roni and stayed home Friday nights.
Now-a-days you need to already know what to do and businesses are so focused on immediate return on investment that they don't think growing talent is a function of H.R.
I think the remainder of TL's comment is that since the businesses are reluctant to pay people and training them, the county governments are having to do it on their dime, probably while the manufacturer is getting some nice tax incentives to boot.

On my own thoughts, it'd be interesting if budget cuts of the 00s cost those counties vo-tec programs in their high schools and this is basically just closing that gap back up. If so, it's hard to complain.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I guess T.L's comment is that in the old days you used to be able to get a job out of high school that would put a roof over your head and they'd teach you what you needed to know. Even when I graduated (98) I had class-mates who went straight into the workforce that could flaunt their paychecks while I ate Ramen and Pasta-Roni and stayed home Friday nights.
Now-a-days you need to already know what to do and businesses are so focused on immediate return on investment that they don't think growing talent is a function of H.R.
I think the remainder of TL's comment is that since the businesses are reluctant to pay people and training them, the county governments are having to do it on their dime, probably while the manufacturer is getting some nice tax incentives to boot.

On my own thoughts, it'd be interesting if budget cuts of the 00s cost those counties vo-tec programs in their high schools and this is basically just closing that gap back up. If so, it's hard to complain.
Tis correct.

Is there a disequilibrium with liberal arts degrees and jobs that just require a liberal arts degree? Yes, that's one of the major reasons driving wages down. But a college degree doesn't disqualify you from a one of those machine jobs. It's on the company to find a way to attract some tech savy kids that would otherwise not consider such a line of work.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Senate GOP tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, CBO finds
By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year would be worse off under the Senate bill, CBO found. By 2021, Americans earning $40,000 or less would be net losers, and by 2027, most people earning less than $75,000 a year would be worse off. On the flip side, millionaires and those earning $100,000 to $500,000 would be big beneficiaries, according to the CBO’s calculations. (In the CBO table below, negative signs mean people in those income brackets pay less in taxes).

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Considering that won’t be the final bill if it passes both house and senate, this is worthless.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Considering that won’t be the final bill if it passes both house and senate, this is worthless.
Yeah, put in it and then take it out to make them seem more reasonable.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:53 pm

I don't think math exists that would look different if the general outline of the "reform" is a corporate tax cut paid for by eliminating certain individual tax deductions.

It's just a bad bill that is difficult to score because of all the gimmicks that are being built into the plan to make it pass the reconciliation guidelines. So then they have to account for the folks that are going to game the gamed plan.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:58 pm

I was thinking some about this plan today and some of the concerns expressed by GOP Senators that the bill favors corps over Pass through's too much. I think that's definitely right actually. I think this bill is going to result in a lot of market consolidation and just get worse and worse. I think the GOP is operating on a fundamental misunderstanding of market behavior and haven't been challenged enough on their notions. There is a lot of anti-competitive behavior in the modern economy that will be escalated if this corporate windfall goes through.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:04 pm

I was thinking some about this plan today and some of the concerns expressed by GOP Senators that the bill favors corps over Pass through's too much. I think that's definitely right actually. I think this bill is going to result in a lot of market consolidation and just get worse and worse. I think the GOP is operating on a fundamental misunderstanding of market behavior and haven't been challenged enough on their notions. There is a lot of anti-competitive behavior in the modern economy that will be escalated if this corporate windfall goes through.
I have no reason to believe that anyone in government actually cares about markets and competition (despite all of the rhetoric tossed around in health care conversations).

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't want to cross-contaminate the Gear Grinding thread with this, but the CNN 'this is an apple' spots are really really annoying. I certainly agree with the spirit with which they are presented. But golly damn.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I have no reason to believe that anyone in government actually cares about markets and competition (despite all of the rhetoric tossed around in health care conversations).
Too many dems are tied with big anti competitive industries like the telecoms and tech to inspect the deal from those angles either. So they just muster some bland rich/poor rhetoric that misses the more pressing issues with the bill.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Trump just said this at WWII Native American code talkers event:

"You were here long before any of us were here. Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas," Trump said.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 pm

"You were here long before any of us were here. Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas," Trump said.
here is the video, what an dadhole

https://twitter.com/DanLinden/status/935234246679154689

edit: had to remove child, that's an insult to them.
Last edited by eddy on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm

WTF. Commander in Chief :face:

Meanwhile, I finally read the NYT Nazi sympathizer article. I actually thought it was well written and pertinent to the times.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

here is the video, what a child

https://twitter.com/DanLinden/status/935234246679154689
What. The. Hell.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Meanwhile, I finally read the NYT Nazi sympathizer article. I actually thought it was well written and pertinent to the times.
Yeah, I didn't quite get the uproar over this. It does seem important to try to understand why neo-Nazism is making a comeback and is appealing to some people. This article didn't seem to have any answers--this case just appears to be a pretty normal Midwestern dude who happens to be a racist, Nazi dadhole. But maybe that's all that can be said here.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Lol. What a dick.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Yeah, I didn't quite get the uproar over this. It does seem important to try to understand why neo-Nazism is making a comeback and is appealing to some people. This article didn't seem to have any answers--this case just appears to be a pretty normal Midwestern dude who happens to be a racist, Nazi dadhole. But maybe that's all that can be said here.
Is it making a comeback or is social media just giving them a large platform?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Is it making a comeback or is social media just giving them a large platform?
Both.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:37 pm

You can touch on why neo-Nazism is making a comeback, without making said neo-Nazi look like a sympathetic person.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Mother Jones had an interesting take on that. There's a strong desire to paint 'Nazis' as monstrous human beings, and something both bigger and smaller than you and I. But the Holocaust was carried out by garden variety bureaucrats doing a 9-5 job. They're regular people. They have monstrous views, but they are otherwise normal people. They're our neighbors. We've (perhaps unwittingly) been to cookouts with them, maybe even had them in our homes. It's not about making them appear 'sympathetic', it's about underscoring the point that - but for this abhorrent belief system - they're utterly unremarkable.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 pm

You can touch on why neo-Nazism is making a comeback, without making said neo-Nazi look like a sympathetic person.
I guess I didn't really find him to be sympathetic, just unremarkable. There wasn't any weird psychological issue apparent or traumatic event from his childhood. He's an example of the banality of evil, and I think it's OK and important to discuss those cases too.

By way of contrast, I also read this Atlantic piece on Andrew Anglin: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... picks=true He definitely is a weird dude and has a troubled past that is more stereotypical of someone who becomes an extremist wackjob.