Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm

your entire point of these posts, outside of being a d*uche, is?
Wow, this has to be the ultimate pot/kettle exchange.

Aside from that, my point is that the child is suffering. The child's brain damage will never be reversed. The child will likely be on a ventilator, bed ridden and have little to no cognitive function for the rest of its life, even if it received the "theoretical" treatment. I certainly understand the parents wanting to leave no stone unturned, but when is enough suffering enough, especially when a cure is, by all admissions, impossible?
Though the real question here is when does the State have the right to tell individual citizens when that time is.

If people want the Government out of private decisions in their bedrooms, the Government should stay out of private decisions in their hospital rooms as well.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm

I might be OK with a govt mandated 2 child limit...

Especially a cap-and-trade system where Mrs K and I could sell our credits to the highest bidder.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Especially a cap-and-trade system where Mrs K and I could sell our credits to the highest bidder.
What do you do to the poor folks that have a 3rd child and can't buy a credit? Take the child away and put it in an orphanage?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Wow, recap my reaction to the last page:
Columbia is right, nobody is correct and obtuse, Hockeynut is logical and a masochist, and I don't want to live in Willie's world.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:33 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:33 pm

ooh, fireworks!

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:13 pm

What do you do to the poor folks that have a 3rd child and can't buy a credit? Take the child away and put it in an orphanage?
mikey's wheel...

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Aside from that, my point is that the child is suffering. The child's brain damage will never be reversed. The child will likely be on a ventilator, bed ridden and have little to no cognitive function for the rest of its life, even if it received the "theoretical" treatment. I certainly understand the parents wanting to leave no stone unturned, but when is enough suffering enough, especially when a cure is, by all admissions, impossible?
Though the real question here is when does the State have the right to tell individual citizens when that time is.

If people want the Government out of private decisions in their bedrooms, the Government should stay out of private decisions in their hospital rooms as well.
What's your stance on faith healers and Christian Scientists that don't believe that medical intervention is necessary for their children? Should the government stay out of their business?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:23 pm

I don't want to live in Willie's world.
There has to be a line somewhere though, no? Pretty sure this kid has been on a ventilator for it's entire 8 months. Only the one US doctor, who would just love a guinea pig, says there may be any hope at all. All the doctors involved have said there is no hope of this child ever having cognition as a result of severe irreversible brain damage. What exactly is the point?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 pm

What's your stance on faith healers and Christian Scientists that don't believe that medical intervention is necessary for their children? Should the government stay out of their business?
Yes

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 pm

There has to be a line somewhere though, no? Pretty sure this kid has been on a ventilator for it's entire 8 months. Only the one US doctor, who would just love a guinea pig, says there may be any hope at all. All the doctors involved have said there is no hope of this child ever having cognition as a result of severe irreversible brain damage. What exactly is the point?

And if the kid comes over and responds well to the treatment then all those that argued against it will look stupid.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm

The same thing that happens here when insurance says your stay is up at the hospital. You pay out of pocket.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Yes
Let's go a step further. Is there a limit to "spare the rod, spoil the child"?

Edit: I can see how that can be construed as actively causing harm rather than inaction.

How about starving your child? Is that acceptable?
Last edited by tjand72 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 pm

And if the kid comes over and responds well to the treatment then all those that argued against it will look stupid.
And if the kid comes over and doesn't respond to treatment (which is, by far, the most likely scenario), his suffering was extended for a few more weeks/months. Is it worth it?

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, btw. And I understand where @Freddy Rumsen is coming from too. If it was my kid, I'd be doing exactly what this boy's parents are doing and I'd be furious that the Gov. is telling me to let my child die. I'm simply trying to look at it from the child's perspective too. He doesn't have a say in his medical treatment. If he's suffering and in pain, when is it time to show mercy to him and allow his misery to end? And do parents have the right to drag on that misery almost endlessly as long as his life can be prolonged with ventilators, feeding tubes, etc?

I know dogs aren't on the same level as a child, but I've had to have dogs put to sleep and I know it's a gut-wrenching decision. Easily the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. I did it because I knew their suffering was too great and I was being selfish by holding on. That sure didn't make it any easier though. This is, most certainly, a situation where everyone loses.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 pm

My SIL lost her baby within a week of a scheduled c section. It was the most painful thing I've ever been around, in large part I feel because there was no chance to know Caleb. There were no happy memories to look back on, but plenty of bonding in the womb.
On this specific case I can certainly imagine going to any lengths to try to "know" your child. If there's a medical professional or a tribal witch doctor or anybody that made a convincing argument that they could give me that chance I'd do whatever was in my power to make it happen.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:46 am

The same thing that happens here when insurance says your stay is up at the hospital. You pay out of pocket.
Which, except for the uber-rich, would be basically the same thing. We'd be right back here, and instead of "They won't send us to the US for experimental treatment" it would be "They won't keep paying to keep my baby alive."

It's not just about the money though. You have a room, equipment, doctors' and nurses' time, all used on a hopeless case while others wait.
On this specific case I can certainly imagine going to any lengths to try to "know" your child.
This specific child has severe irreversible brain damage. All doctors involved, including the US one, say it will never know anything.
If there's a medical professional or a tribal witch doctor or anybody that made a convincing argument that they could give me that chance I'd do whatever was in my power to make it happen.
Decisions should be based on logic and reason not hopes and wishes. If there was any real hope for this child, this wouldn't even be a story - because he'd be getting treatment.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 am

I'm just glad you, and people like you, have zero power in any decisions for the USA, because most if not all are f*cking horrific and impractical garbage.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:52 am

You sound like a **** baby

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:23 am

House Republican leader balks at Russia sanctions bill over concerns it would harm Texas energy companies
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ons-2017-7

oreally.owl

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 am

Willie Kool <<< Trump

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 am

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 am

You sound like a **** baby

Says the guy that whines, cries and throws tantrums about leaving to get attention.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 am

Regarding the maker of that CNN gif...now, setting aside Trump retweeting it, it was a completely harmless, innocuous gif. It wasn't inciting violence, it was a meme featuring pro wrestling and crude photoshop techniques. CNN, however, has gotten to the bottom of it:
"After posting his apology, "HanAholeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanAholeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.
"
Are they openly admitting to blackmailing him? "Ugly behavior"? FFS it was a WWE gif featuring the CNN logo on Vince McMahon's head. No one was calling for the murder of journalists. What he did doesn't even register on the radar of outrage or crossing the line. Trump tweeting it out was obviously cringeworthy, but that has nothing to do with the original creator.

CNN went out of their way to dig up personal details on this guy and is making an example out of him by telling him to stay silent, or else. That's....chilling

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:53 am

r/CNNMemes is already a thing.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:58 am

smh... wtf, cnn.