Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:27 pm

I read a lot about empathy and compassion in here so its strange to see so many okay with illegals working physically demanding labor jobs for long hours and very little compensation in exchange for cheap veggies.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Would you like a cookie and some pleasant music?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

As you grow older, the more likely you are to have trouble conceiving, problems with the pregnancy, problems with your baby...you're called "geriatric" at age 36, for example.

So if you want kids when you're young and someone on a message board thinks you're an idiot for doing it, they can go pound salt.
You're thinking of children as compulsory at worst or an entitlement at best. If your life track puts you at maxing out your household income at $30k, the quality of life choice is to not have kids, or at least limit to a manageable number. Any more than that and you're hurting yourself and committing to raising a kid in poverty. Seems intensely selfish to me.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Source of the post Again the point is that the cost wouldn't increase exponentially like you people assume. It is just like most areas that the labor cost is very low. So if labor is 10 cents per dollar, then even doubling the labor cost would only result in a 10 cent increase for consumers.
That's actually a fun concept. Because the outrageously high minimum wage crowd likes to point out that higher wages will only increase goods a $.01 per package or whatever (I saw this illustrated in a video showing what Wal-Mart would have to charge for Mac & Cheese if they paid a 'living wage'). But then that puts the tif 'illegal agriculture is a must' crowd in a real bind. And vice-versa.
Yep. Though, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to raising the minimum wage, but that's because I don't think there should be one.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

So what you're saying is you're doubling down on the ass tattoo blogger?
This is really the highpoint of my day. You can all quit now.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Source of the post Also, the sentiment ignores the fairly large number of people for whom the can't afford part came after the family part had been established. Downsizing n'at.
I flatly do not believe you. There are hard luck stories for sure, and then there is the South.
It absolutely happens.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

I read a lot about empathy and compassion in here so its strange to see so many okay with illegals working physically demanding labor jobs for long hours and very little compensation in exchange for cheap veggies.
Framed this way my isolationist stance of, you know, not allowing illegals is actually a very humanitarian position.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Keep quoting the pic of the tattooed ass

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:31 pm

As you grow older, the more likely you are to have trouble conceiving, problems with the pregnancy, problems with your baby...you're called "geriatric" at age 36, for example.

So if you want kids when you're young and someone on a message board thinks you're an idiot for doing it, they can go pound salt.

If people waited until they were fiscally ready to have kids, the world wouldn't have too many people.
I don't think there's much correlation between the amount of kids you have and the age when you start. At least for people who aren't psychos about wanting a zilllion kids. But even with them...psychos gonna psycho.

Also, population growth is slowing. Despite all those selfish f'ers who want to procreate before their eggs dry up.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:31 pm

They just welcome them into the country, they don't give a **** about them once they get here, like pro-life people and abortion... :pop:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Source of the post Also, the sentiment ignores the fairly large number of people for whom the can't afford part came after the family part had been established. Downsizing n'at.
I flatly do not believe you. There are hard luck stories for sure, and then there is the South.
It absolutely happens.
Yes, it happens. Is it the reason for poverty? Hardly.

Go to Derry and tell me it's a meth-hole because the mill shut down 50 years ago. Please.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Framed this way my isolationist stance of, you know, not allowing illegals is actually a very humanitarian position.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm

It's not an advocacy argument, as much as it is an acknowledgment of reality.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Except when the alternative to working a physically demanding job for very little compensation is being whored out for even less compensation, and having your kids drafted into the cartel

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm just providing the spinzone.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Source of the post Keep quoting the pic of the tattooed ass
Source of the post 1) That blog post is horseshit...... "agriculture is not a labor intensive business" J-Law_ok.gif

2) This is the profile picture of the author
Copy that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Except when the alternative to working a physically demanding job for very little compensation is being whored out for even less compensation, and having your kids drafted into the cartel
And we've come full circle. Why have the kids in the first place?

Poor choices and selfish machismo. My empathy doesn't extend that far.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Motion to have grunty's user handle changed to Fulano until the construction of the border wall is complete. (And, obvi, make that pic his permanent avatar)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Kids are not that expensive.

Sure if you are paying $1,500 a week on childcare and buying all your kids clothes at the mall, I can see that being exorbitantly expensive.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Minimum wage in Mexico is 80 pesos per day. Whatever they get paid here is a significant increase over the prospect of starving to death at home.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Kids are not that expensive.

Sure if you are paying $1,500 a week on childcare and buying all your kids clothes at the mall, I can see that being exorbitantly expensive.
Then $30k ought to be adequate, then.

Which is it?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

You're thinking of children as compulsory at worst or an entitlement at best. If your life track puts you at maxing out your household income at $30k, the quality of life choice is to not have kids, or at least limit to a manageable number. Any more than that and you're hurting yourself and committing to raising a kid in poverty. Seems intensely selfish to me.
I have no clue why anyone would want more than 2 kids. So you and I share at least a gram of perspective here.

But I think most poor kids probably don't accuse their parents of being selfish. They've probably somehow made peace with being alive. Now...can you extend that and say, "but shmenguin...why not just have eleventy thousand kids then? They'll all be grateful". To which i say life is full of nuance.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Motion to have grunty's user handle changed to Fulano until the construction of the border wall is complete. (And, obvi, make that pic his permanent avatar)
Surely someone here has the PS skilz to change the name on the pic

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 pm

@NTP66

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:38 pm

So you want your cheap vegetables and don't give a **** about how little they pay them? Cool.